The Trenches

doctorgnar

Trench coats anyone? I've never liked them, always seem to constrictive, and just weird. I have this thing where if something doesn't seem like I could possibly skate in it, I won't wear it.

But this splendid Engineered Garments trench popped up in Supermarket and I changed my mind. Then I was robbed and now it’s gone.

So what’s up with trench coats? Nice ones that hit above the knee and won’t make me look like pervert.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a thread on trenches before, but it only had a few recommendations.

Zara actually has a fucking sick one right now. It's black with epaulets, sits above the knee, fits damn good.........check it out if you swing by a Zara any time soon.

ha. weird i was just gonna make a trench/raincoat type thread when i saw this one.

yea im going to toronto this weekend and definately wanna get one for the springtime.

i'll check zara's out.

heres one i found on the GQ site... my buddy bought the GQ for either march or april and it had a section on these trench'ish type jackets... i couldnt find anything on their website about it though.

raincoat.jpg

Might want to check m0851 on Wooster. Kind of minimalist. Light, breathable fabric. Not even remotely stodgy. Good, slim fits. And it was less than $400. Not a proper trench (no belt), but definitely falls in the spring/autumn rainy weather coat genre.

Or you could get a Macintosh from Jack Spade for $850. Those things are amazing.

Edit: Pretty sure the one posted directly above is the Jack Spade Mac.

Might want to check m0851 on Wooster. Kind of minimalist. Light, breathable fabric. Not even remotely stodgy. Good, slim fits. And it was less than $400. Not a proper trench (no belt), but definitely falls in the spring/autumn rainy weather coat genre.

Or you could get a Macintosh from Jack Spade for $850. Those things are amazing.

Edit: Pretty sure the one posted directly above is the Jack Spade Mac.

yea it is.....

hahahaha! yeah, i had been stalking the engineered garments trench for a while, but the right color never popped up. i have reservations with black trench coats for the very reason quoted above, but fuuma has made me challenge my opinion on the matter.

in my quest, i've come across an h & m black label trench that fits like a dream,very slim, but it isn't belted. h & m also has a belted one, but it is double-breasted-----that gives me pause.

a nice trench is indispensable. i'm amazed that i've gone this long without one. for me, gene hackman in "the conversation" seals the deal:

hackman4xd3.jpg

it's hanging on the post in the bottom pic:

harry20in20workshopbb3.jpg

also, i missed out on a rick owens military trench that looked amazing. can't find a picture now.

hahahaha! yeah, i had been stalking the engineered garments trench for a while, but the right color never popped up. i have reservations with black trench coats for the very reason quoted above, but fuuma has made me challenge my opinion on the matter.

Sorry, ddml, and with all due respect, I'm really hoping that that fucking thing makes you look fat, or like, has an itchy tag.

in my quest, i've come across an h & m black label trench that fits like a dream,very slim, but it isn't belted. h & m also has a belted one, but it is double-breasted-----that gives me pause.

a nice trench is indispensable. i'm amazed that i've gone this long without one. for me, gene hackman in "the conversation" seals the deal:

it's hanging on the post in the bottom pic:

also, i missed out on a rick owens military trench that looked amazing. can't find a picture now.

i think double breasted is the way to go with trench coats. it's a more classic military look.

ha. weird i was just gonna make a trench/raincoat type thread when i saw this one.

yea im going to toronto this weekend and definately wanna get one for the springtime.

i'll check zara's out.

heres one i found on the GQ site... my buddy bought the GQ for either march or april and it had a section on these trench'ish type jackets... i couldnt find anything on their website about it though.

raincoat.jpg

I have that GQ - the section was on trenches and macs - that pic you posted is a mac.

Just sayin.

I do own a magnificent Cloak trench, DjRajio has the same model. I think it's a stapple, but since it is easy to veer into "videogamer who saw the Matrix too many times" territory I would say fit and details are even more important than usual. I like classic Burberrys in beige (think Bogart or Alain Delon) and more designery stuff. At some point Margiela had an awfully cool white one that I foolishly passed on....Mine is in cotton, like the trenchcoats of yore, and this allows it to build character as it ages. Not pressing it is also a must for that slept-in look. It was a rainy day today and frankly, since I'm not big on umbrellas, I don't see anything else that would have given me the comfort (and look) that I needed.

I've got an old Aquascutum but I don't like the shape; the shoulders are too big and the arms are too short... I wish it had a more modern cut.

I really love Theory's trenches. Wonderful looking coats. Actually Calvin Klein had a basic one introduced in Macy's that looked really nice but it disappeared in a small before I could get one. H&M has a few right now but the fit looked awful, and sometimes the stitching just looked super shitty.

Without a suit underneath it, trenchcoats make you look like either a clueless douchebag or a moody nerd.

That's some bullshit talk right there. If the trench has the right cut, you can more than wear it without a suit underneath. I wear mine w/ my shirt and tie to work and it looks fucking good.