FILM RECOMMENDATIONS

Quote:
Quote:

Second the Oldboy recomendation. One cool ass movie.

Anyone here seen "Ichi the Killer"? Released a few years before Oldboy but I've seen a lot press comparing the two.

--- Original message by Circa on May 27, 2005 04:56 AM

Ichi the killer is pretty nice but I wouldn't compare the style to Oldboy...I mean they're both violent asian films but that's about it...

--- Original message by Fuuma on May 27, 2005 08:10 AM

From the reviews I read most said the comparisons between the two were from 1) the violence, 2) the cinematic style and 3) the fact that both films' source material was from a manga. I have yet to see "Ichi" however, but from what I've heard about it, it seems pretty crazy.

BTW the long one-take hallway fight scene in Oldboy where he kicks the shit out of 20-30 dudes with a hammer is reason alone to see this movie. Completely beats the shit out of almost any over-edited hollywood action scene.

battle royale (jap)

shutter (thai)

adrenaline drive (jap)

amelie poulian (french)

love me if you dare (french)

he loves me he loves me not (french)

2046 (chinese)

the water boys (jap)

golden chicken (chinese)

bottle rocket

anyone?

Youth is something that the young waste

cidade de deus (city of god)

basquiat

diarios de motocicleta (the motorcycle diaries)

american history x

a lot of foreign in there but yall should check them out. they are more really artsy style films not the usual summer blockbuster types with wham bang action. i have a whole list of movies yall should check out but too many =)

Quote:

I haven't seen Layer Cake yet but I reallly want to.

I could have sworn Ichi the Killer and Oldboy are connected? Same director or producer or something?

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Jun 2, 2005 09:29 AM

Oldboy is Korean and was directed by Park-Chan-Wook (I recommend seeing his other two features: Joint Security Area (JSA) and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance).

Ichi the Killer is Japanese and was directed by the ultra prolific (directed more than 60 films according to IMDB and they're missing quite a lot direct to video releases) Takashi Miike (I recommend seeing Graveyard of Honor -Nice remake of the Fukasaku classic, Dear or Alive, Audition, Happiness of the Katakuris and Visitor Q)

They're different people from vastly different movie industries, and Oldboy and Ichi are only alike on a totaly superficial level.

If you want more information about any of these movies ask freely....

Can't recommend highly enuf:

The Bridge at Remagen

The Dirty Dozen

Windtalkers

Porkchop Hill

Kelly's Heroes

A Bridge Too Far

Heartbreak Ridge

The Outlaw Josie Wales

The Magnificent Seven

A Fistfull of Dollars

Westworld

Scarface

Cannonball Run

2000AD Hectic Homeboys Lace Themselfs on a Daily Basis

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.