Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

euuugh i though play was kind of cheap smelling. my two personal favorites, that i switch on and off are CdG 71 and WHITE. very different, very goooooood.

I got the same reaction, too fruity for me at the beginning and smelled just cheap after it dried. I switch between 71, Skai, Soda, Vettiveru and Kyoto. I had CDG2 but women are evil and smash you stuff sometimes. I'm looking forward to Energy series and replacing my Calamus bottle.

Yo - i have a lady-friend who wears (and clearly really likes) Jean Paul Gaultier. I really like the Frederic Malle series of perfumes, and I was wondering whether any of them might be kind of similar to the JPG (ie similar bass-notes, etc). If not, can you suggest anything similar that she (and I) might like? Cheers.

I got the same reaction, too fruity for me at the beginning and smelled just cheap after it dried. I switch between 71, Skai, Soda, Vettiveru and Kyoto. I had CDG2 but women are evil and smash you stuff sometimes. I'm looking forward to Energy series and replacing my Calamus bottle.

what have people commented about skai and soda when you are using them?

i find those are definetly the most wearable of the pack, being the soda the most wearable of them, but i don't how i would feel about using them myself.

Yo - i have a lady-friend who wears (and clearly really likes) Jean Paul Gaultier. I really like the Frederic Malle series of perfumes, and I was wondering whether any of them might be kind of similar to the JPG (ie similar bass-notes, etc). If not, can you suggest anything similar that she (and I) might like? Cheers.

None of the FM's are like Gaultier (I assume you're talking about Classique), but Gaultier is definitely bold, so I'd suggest Carnal Flower...not anything alike, but definitely noticeable and unique.

ssshhhhh...don't tell anyone! :eek:

i really do! sufu approved or not.

but i just can't wear it anymore, got sick of it, i wore it for a year.

i like smelling it a lot though, smells are by far the most memory triggering experience i get, and that smell brings me back memories of some great times ahah

i really do! sufu approved or not.

but i just can't wear it anymore, got sick of it, i wore it for a year.

i like smelling it a lot though, smells are by far the most memory triggering experience i get, and that smell brings me back memories of some great times ahah

Understood...I have that same association with Fahrenheit, although I'd never wear it again, I still like the smell of it and the associations it brings.

I was just talking with someone about how surprised I am that this thread has been so active...and how it'll be interesting to see if CDG becomes less of an interest once everyone realizes that there are other really great brands out there. CDG has some great stuff, and goes along with the sufu asthetic, so its pretty understandable that they get as much attention as they do on here.

If anyone's curious, you can go here to check out the actual person that created the scent you like, and from there it can be interesting to see if you like their other work as well. Mark Buxton is one of the main perfumers for CDG, but has done a ton of other stuff as well, including two of the three Colette fragrances, and the new Jil Sander 79 scents.

Other CDG perfumers - Evelyn Boulanger, Francois Caron, Anne Chapuis, Bertrand Duchafour (one of the best out there), Yann Vasnier, etc. etc.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but for anyone who's interested (or bored), here are the general steps on how companies produce a fragrance.

First off, there are only a handful of companies that have their own in-house perfumer (nose)...Chanel, Hermes, Jean Patou, and a few other smaller companies (The Different Company, etc.).

Every other company or designer outsources to one of the 5 large fragrance companies (Givaudan, Firmenich, IFF, Symrise and Quest). These 5 companies have a staff of perfumers (the best in the world) who compete with each other to land gigs creating the newest perfume.

If Donna Karan or CDG (for example) wants to create a new scent, they have their marketing department create a list of things they want it to be...usually vague and stupid like "fresh, crisp and warm...like being next to the ocean after a thunderstorm". They give the briefing to different companies and wait for samples from the perfumers...they'll then chose one and that company wins the contract.

From there, they go back and forth with the perfumer adding and changing things. Almost always saying "it needs to last longer". Eventually, after raping the original idea, they come to an agreement on a scent.

This is the basic generalization of how things are done. A great article was written on the process at Hermes. Keep in mind that as difficult as Hermes makes it for this perfumer (Jean Claude Ellena), he's actually their in-house guy, so is being treated much better than the norm.

I dont like cdg 2 but i like cdg 2 man ....not something i can use everyday..but i think its a nice change...and a good scent for the cold winters..... my favourite from the cdg line (well from the ones ive tried) is cdg 3...i wear it quite often.....

...now if only they would include the cologne stands with the colognes...i always wondered why they dont include them.

I don't like CDG2. :) 53 man myself.
my CDG rotation is: Sequoia, Palissander, Sherbet Cinnamon which iz my favorite.
I dont like cdg 2 but i like cdg 2 man ....not something i can use everyday..but i think its a nice change...and a good scent for the cold winters..... my favourite from the cdg line (well from the ones ive tried) is cdg 3...i wear it quite often.....

...now if only they would include the cologne stands with the colognes...i always wondered why they dont include them.

I guess my point was lost...oh well...go CDG!

thanks for the info gimmegimme, much appreciated.

I assume I'm talking about the Classique as well, but I could be wrong! :)

I will have to check out Carnal Flower, I have heard a lot of good things about it.

Its definitely the star of the FM lineup...Une Rose & Lys Mediteranee are also very nice, but CF would still be my first pick.

I guess my point was lost...oh well...go CDG!

I guess I don't venture outside of CDG much because of my laziness. I have an access to their lineup (store in ny) and they are very nice there with letting you try everything without pushing any scent on you.

I try other fragrances at Barneys but they are mostly new releases. I know there is a sea of older stuff that I would love but I just don't have time or drive to look them up.

Gimmie, thanks for all your knowledge, I really enjoy your posts and they definitely made me check out some classics that were new to me. Keep up the good work.

Can someone recommend a scent similar to Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme? That has always been my favorite fragrance but I am sick of smelling it on people that pass by. I need something similar but noticeably different.

D&G has definitely become a huge cliche...along with A*men & JPG. The reason why they became so overpopular in the first place was because they were SO unique...alomost unmistakable.

Give some of the Gucci's (Envy in particular), Dior Homme is pretty unique, and maybe Marc Jacobs.

i also wore the dolce and gabbana for about 2 years, i loved it and there wasn't anyone i knew who used it except for one girl friend of mine, but now it gives me headaches(REALLY), and i smell it all the time on other people passing by.

i have the dior homme and i like it a lot, and i tried on the marc jacobs one of these days and it smelled damn good.

i also wore the dolce and gabbana for about 2 years, i loved it and there wasn't anyone i knew who used it except for one girl friend of mine, but know it gives me headaches(REALLY), and i smell it all the time on other people passing by.

i have the dior homme and i like it a lot, and i tried on the marc jacobs one of these days and it smelled damn good.

Unfortunately some decent colognes were ruined by dumbass guys that pour half the bottle on.

I tell guys if they're wearing too much...someone needs to tell them because I honestly think they have no idea they make everyone's eyes water. They're also the reason that the rest of us that know how much to spray on aren't allowed to wear it at all in most public places.

Bitches.

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to check those 3 out. Are they similar in style to the D&G or just similar in regards to them being unique?

Those are more in the same "feeling" than actually smelling like it...there aren't any obvious decendents of it that I can think of. Maybe their newest men's scent would fit the bill (Light Blue Pour Homme)...although its vastly inferior to the women's version and not really anything special.

If you to do some of your own hunting, look specifically for a fragrance classified under "woods" "woody"...specifically an aromatic or citrus wood containing coumarin.

Those are more in the same "feeling" than actually smelling like it...there aren't any obvious decendents of it that I can think of. Maybe their newest men's scent would fit the bill (Light Blue Pour Homme)...although its vastly inferior to the women's version and not really anything special.

If you to do some of your own hunting, look specifically for a fragrance classified under "woods" "woody"...specifically an aromatic or citrus wood containing coumarin.

Awesome. Thank you

Unfortunately some decent colognes were ruined by dumbass guys that pour half the bottle on.

I tell guys if they're wearing too much...someone needs to tell them because I honestly think they have no idea they make everyone's eyes water. They're also the reason that the rest of us that know how much to spray on aren't allowed to wear it at all in most public places.

Bitches.

you mean i shouldnt soak my clothes in my scent for the day? youre supposed to spray it all on your clothes right? :confused:

I have found that if you spray your food, the perfumey goodness will run all the way through you...

and your shit won't stink. :D

I spray all my electronic products too...and books...sometimes if I want to freshen up a bit, I put a little in an dropper and squirt it in my eye.

Don't just smell the cologne...FEEL the cologne.