Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

I have found that if you spray your food, the perfumey goodness will run all the way through you...

and your shit won't stink. :D

from personal experience i find that eating candles is more effective to get this job done.

personally, my favourite is "Kyoto" from the incense series since it's strong enough to vanish most of the regular doo doo smell

Monocle magazine will release Monocle x Comme des Garcons fragrance called Scent One: Hinoki. Produced by Antoine Maisondieu, Hinoki is a cedary, woody scent inspired by Japanese hot-spring baths and Scandinavian forests. It will be available at selected CdG stores and at monocle.com for deliveries in the new year.

I need help, I'm thinking of going the fragrance route for a Christmas gift for my girlfriend. I know that she wears Chanel No. 5, but I'm unsure as to whether its the parfum, eau de parfum, or eau de toilette. Anyways, I'd like to get something compatible with one who enjoys No 5, but different enough to constitute variety in her fragrances. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey, I grabbed up a handful of samples from luckyscents a while ago and they have now arrived.

Garage is interesting in theory, but pretty awful in prective. I felt ill and dizzy after about 5 minutes of having it on.

None of the ones I grabbed jumped out at me immediately, but I havn't had a chance to wear them yet so I'm sure I'll become more attached to them on. I noticed though that I somehow managed not to order a single woodsey one; I grabbed the cdg Vettiveru thinking it would be something like the Fragonard vetivyr I had once upon a time, bu tthat's not really the case at all. I liked the Fragonard quite a bit, and actually like the Zegna one also, which manages to be lightly woodsey without being vegetal. Any thoughs on what I might like to try?

I need help, I'm thinking of going the fragrance route for a Christmas gift for my girlfriend. I know that she wears Chanel No. 5, but I'm unsure as to whether its the parfum, eau de parfum, or eau de toilette. Anyways, I'd like to get something compatible with one who enjoys No 5, but different enough to constitute variety in her fragrances. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chanel No. 5 contains aldehydes (a synthetic)...some others with the same concept:

-Arpege by Lanvin

-No. 5 Eau Premiere (different enough to warrant owning both)

-First by Van Cleef & Arpels

-Caleche by Hermes

-Chamade by Guerlain

-Bois des Iles by Chanel

And if you really like her:

-Liu by Guerlain (big $$$)

-La Myrrhe (both big $$$ and hard to get)

Hey, I grabbed up a handful of samples from luckyscents a while ago and they have now arrived.

Garage is interesting in theory, but pretty awful in prective. I felt ill and dizzy after about 5 minutes of having it on.

None of the ones I grabbed jumped out at me immediately, but I havn't had a chance to wear them yet so I'm sure I'll become more attached to them on. I noticed though that I somehow managed not to order a single woodsey one; I grabbed the cdg Vettiveru thinking it would be something like the Fragonard vetivyr I had once upon a time, bu tthat's not really the case at all. I liked the Fragonard quite a bit, and actually like the Zegna one also, which manages to be lightly woodsey without being vegetal. Any thoughs on what I might like to try?

What else did you order? Garage is gross...pretty unwearable, but still interesting.

Vettiveru is a traditional cologne, so it isn't fully focused on vetiver like the Fragonard is. If you like vetiver, try Route de Vetiver by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company (highly recommended), Le Vetiver by Lubin.

Odeur 71

L'homme sage

La Base For him

2man

vetiveru

Red sequoia

I think I'm used to mall scents so far as they reveal themselves to you quickly. I found pretty much every scent simple and boring taking a whiff from the vial, but I put on a little L'homme sage and the dry down is really interesting and layered. When I first smelled it I wrote it off as distilled christmas cake.

Odeur 71

L'homme sage

La Base For him

2man

vetiveru

Red sequoia

I think I'm used to mall scents so far as they reveal themselves to you quickly. I found pretty much every scent simple and boring taking a whiff from the vial, but I put on a little L'homme sage and the dry down is really interesting and layered. When I first smelled it I wrote it off as distilled christmas cake.

You have a solid assortment there...I think you need to just be more patient with them. Only try one at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. You do have some woods in there btw...sequoia is a tree. ;)

I guess my point was lost...oh well...go CDG!

Haha, I don't especially use cologne, I just really liked the scent of 53 when I tried it at a small boutique store in Boston, and just bought it there on the spot. I rarely use it, usually only for parties or when I have to go somewhere nice, and it's the only one I have.

T Magazine Talk Off: Cologne

this managed to totally cement my negative feelings towards the general Times reader...

the talk off is a pro/con column which is then opened up for voting to Times readers,

and they came down on the anti-men's fragrances side.

in my estimation, despite the anti stance's argument that smelling like hundreds of other people who buy the same scent is poor form, i think that arguing as if ubiquitous

mall brands are the only options available to men exhibits a severely limp understanding of the subject.

T Magazine Talk Off: Cologne

this managed to totally cement my negative feelings towards the general Times reader...

the talk off is a pro/con column which is then opened up for voting to Times readers,

and they came down on the anti-men's fragrances side.

in my estimation, despite the anti stance's argument that smelling like hundreds of other people who buy the same scent is poor form, i think that arguing as if ubiquitous

mall brands are the only options available to men exhibits a severely limp understanding of the subject.

You never cease to amaze me on such eloquent wording. ;)

Is it just me or do articles like this only prove that some people just like to hear their own voice, even when they have nothing relevant to add?

If you choose not to wear cologne, don't mock others that do...especially saying that they smell like "clones". Part of the reason that sucsessful colognes are worn by many is that they smell good.

I put on a little L'homme sage and the dry down is really interesting and layered. When I first smelled it I wrote it off as distilled christmas cake.

Ha, I said the same thing and have also changed my opinion. It's not so foody after all. Still not for me though. Too complicated.

Anyway, I'm still looking for another scent to replace my Dior Homme bottle. I like it but my girlfriend says it makes me smell like a baby. Maybe the sweetness is remeniscent of baby oil? Sequoia might be my next buy unless I get some other recommendations. Something woodsy would be nice, but not too heavy or spicy. I'm also shy of florals.

Ha, I said the same thing and have also changed my opinion. It's not so foody after all. Still not for me though. Too complicated.

Anyway, I'm still looking for another scent to replace my Dior Homme bottle. I like it but my girlfriend says it makes me smell like a baby. Maybe the sweetness is remeniscent of baby oil? Sequoia might be my next buy unless I get some other recommendations. Something woodsy would be nice, but not too heavy or spicy. I'm also shy of florals.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=25300&section=2

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=15238&section=2

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=15901&section=2

i just picked up miller et bertaux "parfume trouve #1" for my girlfriend which is incredibly mysterious and compelling, not unlike her. definitely a warmth from the sandalwood in there, but there is this fragrant, almost flowery spiciness, which i think is the black iris in it, which mingles with cumin that puts this into the realm of the sublime. i cant wait to give it to her...

i ended up picking up the serge lutens "chergui" which is exclusive to barneys, for myself. i didnt notice the citrus notes in this in the store as much, its also a pretty complex fragrance. very curious to see what the drydown brings...