Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

yeah i have no clue, im getting her tons of other things, this was more of just like a little gift on the side... she wears perfume often, but hardly wears any, and i have a bad sense of smell, so unless i go up real close i can't even smell whatever she is wearing. I don't know, i'll probably end up not getting any of that sort of stuff.

What about this:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P190500&categoryId=C7382&shouldPaginate=true

Or this:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P193318&categoryId=C7382&shouldPaginate=true

...a bit more interesting.

I'm not sure what access you have, but Angeliques Sous La Pluis by Frederic Malle fits what you're looking for (or Bois D'Orage if you want it a bit stronger). Both are based on vegetal musks and are very wearable. (I realize "angeliques" sounds a bit girlie, but its a plant root...nothing flowery)

If you want more of a straight forward musk, try Narcisso Rodriguez.

If those are too expensive/out of reach, try Declaration by Cartier. I know I keep suggesting it over and over, but its really a great, versatile scent. Not too sweet, not too spicy, not too anything...above all not too expensive.

If you want to try more CDG stuff, look at the Red series. Sequoia is one of my fav's and gets lots of compliments...but its pretty strong.

Hmm, I looked a Angeliques up and it sounds really tempting but I can't seem to find a website that I can order a sample from.

Although I did order a sample of Sequoia from luckscent, hopefully it will be a wearable scent from the CDG series. I'll also have to check Narciso Rodriguez out.

I'll tell you how I like it! Thanks again

om.

Although I did order a sample of Sequoia from luckscent, hopefully it will be a wearable scent from the CDG series. I'll also have to check Narciso Rodriguez out.

I think you'll like Sequoia, it's very nice. I think a lot of cdg stuff is wearable. A lot of girls I know like cdg 2 man, white, kyoto (and most of the Incense series). I get a lot of compliments about skai but it's mostly from crazy girls.

Hmm, I looked a Angeliques up and it sounds really tempting but I can't seem to find a website that I can order a sample from.

I'll tell you how I like it! Thanks again

Email Frederic Malle directly....if you ask nicely, they might send you one...but sometimes they're cranky and say no. Otherwise, you can get a sample from here.

Is that the newest one? I don't know why they make every name sound exactly the same...Jil Sander Man, Sander Man, Jil Sander Man Pure, etc. etc.

Anyway, here's a review.

thanks for the review, i'd read it.. was hoping for some sufu-approved takes on it.

i believe a lot of the naming condondrum has to do with the volatility of the jil sander brand for so many years as opposed to any real attempt at uniformity.

thanks for the review, i'd read it.. was hoping for some sufu-approved takes on it.

i believe a lot of the naming condondrum has to do with the volatility of the jil sander brand for so many years as opposed to any real attempt at uniformity.

Well said. They can use whatever sort of brand cohesion they can get.

Its still pretty new...I think it only came out last month, so you might have to wait for it to do the rounds.

Well said. They can use whatever sort of brand cohesion they can get.

Its still pretty new...I think it only came out last month, so you might have to wait for it to do the rounds.

too true.

im awaiting a few serge testers... im excited for gris clair.

Hmm, hipster attitude much?

I actually quite enjoy the CDG fragrances I've tried despite of colognes I already own...

I read an editorial once about how "perfume people" always skoffed at department store perfumes, and would only consider wearing the smaller, niche independent stuff. But when you think about it, an independent perfume company usually has one perfumer, who gets free reign to do whatever they want. They have no one to please, and sometimes end up being the only one that actually likes the scent.

Department store/designer perfumes are made by the best of the best. The perfumer will have to compete against several other top perfumers to win a bid for a department store/designer fragrance. They go through strict testing and evaluation, and often end up being far superior to the niche stuf.

In the case of CDG vs. Burberry, the perfumer who did Sequoia has also done generic department store stuff for Dior, Lacroix, ST Dupont, Acqua di Parma and Givenchy.

I am under the impression that part of the appeal of the niche perfumes is the presumed exclusivity; that because these are not found in department stores and drugstores/chemists for the most part, one is more likely to be wearing a unique scent, or at least not being one of five people all wearing Chanel Allure, for instance.

More about quantity (lack thereof) than quality, in other words.

Good point about the competition; do you feel that the quality of individual ingredients is as good with the mass-produced brands as it is with the niches? There is a tendency to think that the niches use higher quality ingredients but I don't know if there is any truth to that.

I am under the impression that part of the appeal of the niche perfumes is the presumed exclusivity; that because these are not found in department stores and drugstores/chemists for the most part, one is more likely to be wearing a unique scent, or at least not being one of five people all wearing Chanel Allure, for instance.

More about quantity (lack thereof) than quality, in other words.

Good point about the competition; do you feel that the quality of individual ingredients is as good with the mass-produced brands as it is with the niches? There is a tendency to think that the niches use higher quality ingredients but I don't know if there is any truth to that.

I agree that as a consumer whore I totally focused towards the niche/exclusive stuff so I could have something that no one else has...but I've really changed my way of thinking and realized that I was missing a lot of good stuff because of it. I have about a 50/50 split between the niche stuff and the mass market stuff.

I think that its a toss up with the quality of ingredients. These days, the biggest part of the perfume is synthetic, which isn't a bad thing, but its definitely a cheaper thing. Its sort of a "not what you have but how you use it" sort of situation.

Niche lines tend to promote any rare or expensive ingredient, but they don't have the access or pricepoint that a company like Chanel would have (who, btw, have exclusive arrangements and rights to entire fields of jasmin & roses in france). I think it can reach a certain point where the cost shows the quality (certain drugstore scents), but that doesn't make them any worse than the expensive stuff (Clive Christian).

Price=quality is a complicated subject...just try not to judge TOO quickly based on the name on the bottle, because its more often than not has no reflection of the juice inside the bottle.

From Wallpaper.com:

"...The main attraction, however, is the new eau de parfum, 888 – previewed here and selling for £48/50ml. When the store closes, it will be no longer available until its official launch in March.

The bottle, a shiny gold nugget in the familiar form that characterises the majority of Comme fragrances, is a visual representation of the contents: the juice is an olfactory interpretation of gold, executed by the nose Antoine Lie, in collaboration with Comme des Garçon’s Creative Director, Christian Astuguevieille.

Containing a molecule derived from saffron, pepperwood, coriander and geranium, the fragrance is as original, and as seductive as we have come to expect from the creative behemoths at Comme."

Link.

I just got the sample of Sequoia in today and it smells awesome and nostalgic to a degree. Straight out of the bottle it smells like a hard alcoholic drink (rum?) but when applied I get somewhat strong incense'ish smells with light wood undertones. The incense reminds me of going to the incence shops in my old neighborhood but mixed with the light rum and wood notes it brings me back to winter trips to the mountains. Not attractive in the cliche way, but in its own way; something I could wear day to day. Definitely gives you a red aura when wearing it.

Although it is a nice scent, it may be a little feminine for me. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the subtlety of it and I would definitely wear it but I'm looking for a warmer scent... don't know how to explain it. Like when I'm smelling Sequoia something spikes my senses, you know? I'll probably try a few more perfumes, but if they don't work out I'll be sure to get a bottle of Sequoia.

I just got the sample of Sequoia in today and it smells awesome and nostalgic to a degree. Straight out of the bottle it smells like a hard alcoholic drink (rum?) but when applied I get somewhat strong incense'ish smells with light wood undertones. The incense reminds me of going to the incence shops in my old neighborhood but mixed with the light rum and wood notes it brings me back to winter trips to the mountains. Not attractive in the cliche way, but in its own way; something I could wear day to day. Definitely gives you a red aura when wearing it.

Although it is a nice scent, it may be a little feminine for me. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the subtlety of it and I would definitely wear it but I'm looking for a warmer scent... don't know how to explain it. Like when I'm smelling Sequoia something spikes my senses, you know? I'll probably try a few more perfumes, but if they don't work out I'll be sure to get a bottle of Sequoia.

If you do like it, maybe another one in the series will peak your interest as well. Palisanderis probably the "warmest" of the lot, but its also a bit sweet and spicy (middle-eastern spicy). Its quite nice too. Harrisa is also great. Rose & Carnation will probably too feminine if you find Sequoia feminine.

Another suggestion would be Costes (Hotel Costes)....coincendentally also in a red bottle. Also Cashmere Men. Both are available at Luckyscent.

I think I focused on too much of a single note and didn't really get it at the scent as a whole. Feminine was definitely the wrong word for itt; first impressions don't really get the best of me.

But I put on the remainder of the sample on and it really has grown on me, the incense was probably what threw me off the first time I put it on.

gris clair was the sexiest fall/winter scent ever, and i am getting a jug of it. perfection.

like snorting shards of grey glass, kicking back, and letting the sharp edges cut away all the bullshit in my brain to leave only total clarity.

888 is very nice got a tester at the store on thurs,will prob pick a bottle up before they close up next fri

i am also consider getting it just for the fact that i don't wanna take the risk of it being really good and having to wait until march to be able to purchase it ahah