Your Top 5 RPGs?

notesee

FF Tactics

FF VI

Chrono Trigger

Earthbound

....shit.

Final Fantasy 7 is the best video game ever......ever.

I have lost all my respect for you goldengloves. Hahaha seriously though... no. Please tell me you've enjoyed the wonders of FF VI (III in the U.S.) at least...

1- Chrono Trigger(my friend made me this as my first AIM screenname 10 years ago when i was obsessed with this game)

2- Final Fantasy VI

3- Earthbound (NO ONE FUCKING SAID EARHTBOUND!!!)

4- Final Fantasy IV

5- Dragon Quest VIII

I do have a huge soft spot in my heart for Final Fantasy I and Dragon Warrior(quest) I because i played these when i was age 4-6 and they basically taught me to read. FFIV(2) and Chrono Trigger absolutely blew my mind when i was young. I love looking at all my snes cartridge rpgs. I remember when chrono trigger, secret of mana, BoF, FF and earthbound games were getting about $80 each on ebay before the ROM/emulator world and PSX remakes started coming out. Couldn't sell them for any amount of money though. FFVII and IX were pretty good but i still like IV and VI better. V was ok but it's hard to get behind bartz and them. Also, as lame as the pokemon phenomenon is, the first game was pretty good you have to admit. All the ones after were the same thing, but the first one definitely was fun when it first came out. My friends got into a big fist fight once over a battle.

If i ever got a tatoo, it'd be something snes RPG related. Maybe mog or something. Or maybe the final party of FFIV all lined up in their pixel battle form. Don't think i'd ever get a tatoo but i could only see something rpg related.

edit: I also instantly judge people who are crazy in love with FFVII. I have negative respect for them as RPG fans as soon as they say that. It was alright and everything, but i think people just liked the big sword, gun arm and tifa. I mean, we could all use a little tifa in our lives(by lives i mean pants).

p.s. notesee: hook us up

If you're talking about the rom sites I know of, here they are:

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/site.php?postnum=405

http://www.coolrom.com/

Shining Force, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star franchises...anybody play Shining Force on Dreamcast??..I hear its really good...gotta get my hands on a Dreamcast for that one

Whodini, do you mean Shining Force 1 (originally for Sega Genesis)? That was re released in a multi game disc. Or do you mean Shining Force 3 for Sega Saturn?

1- Chrono Trigger(my friend made me this as my first AIM screenname 10 years ago when i was obsessed with this game)

Are you like me and beat the game New Game + style about 40 odd times and collected 40 rainbow swords, etc., etc.?

Oh... how I yearn for thee cartridge... and my yellowed SNES.

I have lost all my respect for you goldengloves. Hahaha seriously though... no. Please tell me you've enjoyed the wonders of FF VI (III in the U.S.) at least...

Haha, don't tell me that. But I haven't played FF3, in all actuality I don't play video games all too much any more, I get too bored. But I just remember being young and totally stoked on FF7, the story was kick ass and the graphics at the time were pretty good.

I stilll love you though.....if only for your pics of food... :)

I remember staring at those polygons so hard that my eyes melted. For the love of god those graphics...

I feel you though. I loved IX when everyone hated it. VII was a landmark game for playstation RPGs.

Are you like me and beat the game New Game + style about 40 odd times and collected 40 rainbow swords, etc., etc.?

Oh... how I yearn for thee cartridge... and my yellowed SNES.

If only i could import some ffvi genji gloves to equip 2 rainbow swords at the same time. I beat the game again over the summer because i had time the week between summer A and summer B here since my college gives a week between(i guess others just keep on rolling). You have to beat it 40 times because you're not a gamer if you haven't seen all the endings.

VII was definitely important because it got most everyone into RPGs that didn't start out as a little kid learning to read like me. IX was definitely fun, i don't know why people didn't like it. I guess there wasn't enough brooding love stories or something, i don't know.

I got into RPGs because my grandma was an original Nintendo Power subscriber and for some reason they sent those people a free copy of Dragon Warrior. I didn't know what it was so i started playing while in kindergarten. Luckily i just learned to read so the game definitely reinforced that. Then Final Fantasy I rocked my world. The rest was magic. I still play every Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy game that comes out because i feel i owe them. Even though XII was just alright story wise, could've been so much better if they didn't rush everything at the end. Dragon quest VIII rocked. Old school at its finest.

This thread made my night.

Sometimes I get really bored... I mean REALLY bored... and just race that robot in the future ruins.

Maybe this is a sign I'm gay because the way you win is you bounce the ass of your bike off his... well.. bike... body thing... ok this is creepy. I've played too much CT and I should stop talking about weird shit like the time I wrote a fan fiction about schala...ummm... shit.

OR the fact that I actually played Chrono Cross 3x just 'cause I was waiting for it to get better.

Sometimes I get really bored... I mean REALLY bored... and just race that robot in the future ruins.

Maybe this is a sign I'm gay because the way you win is you bounce the ass of your bike off his... well.. bike... body thing... ok this is creepy. I've played too much CT and I should stop talking about weird shit like the time I wrote a fan fiction about schala...ummm... shit.

OR the fact that I actually played Chrono Cross 3x just 'cause I was waiting for it to get better.

I'm sure you were one of the few people who were as excited about Chrono Cross as I was. I faked being sick for 2 days to play that game as soon as it came out when i was in middle school(or early high school). There's actually a nice little trend throughout my life regarding the release of RPGs and days of school skipped. Did the same thing this year with FFXII and last year with DQVIII.

Why couldn't chrono cross have been better? Why did there have to be 53472 different plot holes, and why did i read/play Radical Dreamers and a bunch of message boards trying to get all the info i could? Publish that schala shit, man!

edit: as soon as sufu lets me give rep out again, i'm going rep crazy in this thread.

Sidney- 2 different fan translations are in the works for translating Mother 3(earthbound 2) for play on a nintendo ds rom with emulator. mother3.org and starmen.net are both working on one. They have a bunch of experienced translators and people who understand the subtle japanese humor who are trying to give it a near perfect adaptation and not just a straight translation. I couldn't be more excited.

All of this has inspired me finally add a signature.

"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu. This is the truth. This is my belief....at least for now."

Why couldn't chrono cross have been better? Why did there have to be 53472 different plot holes, and why did i read/play Radical Dreamers and a bunch of message boards trying to get all the info i could? Publish that schala shit, man!

You know those fuckers were saying that the world CC was in... the upper left corner was the threshold to the world of CT... some weird parallel dimension bullshit. Like c'mon man. Why fuck with me like that? Yeah they had Glenn with the X-Strike... but fucking Serge/Lynx.

Glad the special ending w/ the elements (which was the lamest way of getting the special ending period) gave you some CT goodness... but not enough to carry that shit over.

When my disc started to skip I think I threw it in the trash bin.

Yeah... I was hoping that maybe in CC they'll tell you about how Crono bagged Nadia hard and got her preggers or something. Marle/Nadia was hot. Ditzy, but hot.

edit: EB2... I'm all over that shit. For a kiddie themed game... it was kind of difficult.

I got into RPGs because my grandma was an original Nintendo Power subscriber.

This thread made my night.

Ah man, I have fucking stacks of Nintendo Powers in my place. I had a subscription from the beginning of the SNES era to the end of the N64 era, after that I wasn't as into Nintendo systems (probably because of the fact that not many RPG's were coming out on the N64).

But yeah,I felt that a lot of people were into RPG's here but I was surprised nobody had made a thread about them. So I took the initiative.

I always opened my Nintendo Power straight to the cheats/passwords section "classified corner" or whatever... sadly I never owned any of the games so I just wondered how awesome it'd be to play Syndicate.

2- Final Fantasy VI

3- Earthbound (NO ONE FUCKING SAID EARHTBOUND!!!)

4- Final Fantasy IV

5- Dragon Quest VIII

I've been trying to play Earthbound forever and a day now. I heard there was finally news recently on the front of an official english translation. I don't think that one group doing the unofficial rom-release / english translation ever finished but I think they're getting close as well. Hopefully some new information from one of them soon.

Also, Chrono Trigger was good. It's too hard to pick 5.

I think one of the reasons that people pick 7 is that for most people in the U.S. that was like a "First RPG" and there's a lot of sentimental value; at least, it was for me. I've since played most of the FFs, but 7 was really an experience.

Designersheep: so I take it that game is good? I might have to give it a try, I'd never even heard of it before!

edit: most of this shit got said already, I didn't read this page before I responded to the last

I like this thread.

Kiddie? I'm guessing it was a bunch of japanese pot heads doing that shit.

There were way too many of those moments playing CC though. Every time something would happen i'd freak out, but then be dissapointed. Gamefaqs message boards for CC might have been the most confusing shit ever.

My grandma had a nintendo power subscription from the first episode till midway through the n64 period. They would send you all kinds of free stuff too. We got a final fantasy I strategy guide, a mini guide for the original Zelda and a bunch of other stuff. They did a great job with customers in the beginning when they were the only gig in town.

I feel you on discs skipping, sidney. I like cartidges more. No load times, more tangible feeling. The only problem is, the battery inside the cartridges sometimes get funky when you use them a ton and have had them for many years. I can't tell you how upset i was playing some games BoF 2 was one of them and the game just fucking erased my fucking save file for no reason. I was about 12 hours in and it sucks to have to play the beginning all over again. Now, any time i play a cartridge rpg, i use up all the save slots for my one file just in case it erases one. I've been saved by that a few times.

I've been trying to play Earthbound forever and a day now. I heard there was finally news recently on the front of an official english translation. I don't think that one group doing the unofficial rom-release / english translation ever finished but I think they're getting close as well. Hopefully some new information from one of them soon.

Also, Chrono Trigger was good. It's too hard to pick 5.

I think one of the reasons that people pick 7 is that for most people in the U.S. that was like a "First RPG" and there's a lot of sentimental value; at least, it was for me. I've since played most of the FFs, but 7 was really an experience.

Designersheep: so I take it that game is good? I might have to give it a try, I'd never even heard of it before!

I agree, it really was an experience. I really enjoyed it. I get a bet bored with the "everyone equip the same materia and dominate" thing and there not being enough difference between characters. Definitely cool though. FFX did the same thing for the next generation because video games have become socialy acceptable after Halo came out and all the "cool bros" started playing video games. So now, a lot more people seem to be playing.

Mother3.org seems to have gotten their shit together and they appear to be much closer to finishing than starmen.net as they started a lot earlier. Mother3.org should be done by the end of may i think, maybe sooner. The guys working for them translating and hacking are qualified and i'm sure it's going to be good. I don't think starmen's will be world's better or anything.

Am i the only one that will probably end up buying pokemon diamond/pearl next month for nostalgic/curiosity reasons? It's not like it's going to be bad or anything, probably the same thing as the game 10 years ago but with extra shit.

I really wish more groups were dedicated to translating Japanese only released games. There are a couple RPG's I really want to play that have only been released on Super Famicom. One of them, I've found recently called, Feda: Emblem of Justice. Which is very similar to Shining Force.

On another note, this thread has inspired me to track down a properly working Xenogears rom. And I think I finally found it. I have the .img, .ccd file, and .sub for the game. I just need to find a good emulator for the mac and a good program to burn the files on a CD.

I'm also surprised that the Lufia series hasn't been mentioned. I think Lufia 2 was one of the best games released on the SNES.

Mother3.org seems to have gotten their shit together and they appear to be much closer to finishing than starmen.net as they started a lot earlier.

Yep, this is the one I've been keeping my eye on.

Am i the only one that will probably end up buying pokemon diamond/pearl next month for nostalgic/curiosity reasons? It's not like it's going to be bad or anything, probably the same thing as the game 10 years ago but with extra shit.

Believe me when I say that I am definitely considering it. My friend already reserved a copy. Pokemon dueling time, bitches.

I'm also surprised that the Lufia series hasn't been mentioned. I think Lufia 2 was one of the best games released on the SNES.

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals had bad ass graphics... so awesome... but the dungeons tired me out.