What type of Dress shoe should I look at...

Guest bigsink2

Guest bigsink2

Hello, I work in a business casual environment. The staff usually wears blazers, khakis, button ups (not tucked in at times) etc.

When someone looks at my shoe I want them to see a young , stylish and fashionable dude. What style of shoe would suit me?

Im not looking for anything too "old man", im currently plane jane balmoral cap toe shoes. They are a little too constrained style wise.

I went into Aldo and they had all types of weird styles some look like Elf shoes literally. Some looked like Duck Bills. Some were very pointy and long.

Im new to this and dont want to get a style of shoe that goes good with simple causal wear..IF anyone can offer advice id appreciate it!

Whats the word on loafers? I really like the simple clean look of these.

http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSection/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/style/productDetails.cfm&itemID=64134534&&var=d&ckey=US

Guest bigsink2

ahh retailers.. thats fine but if I go to these retailers i will have the same problem. The slightest idea what style of shoe to begin looking at.

Pointy shoes? round shoes? flat shoes? loafers? etc...

loafers are what you want, they are by definition a casual "dress shoe." you may want to check out bluefly, they have some pretty good deals on otherwise pretty expensive shoes (prada et al). the kind of longish rounded off pointy shoes shown above are probably what you're after if you want to look young and fashionable, there are many varieties out there so hopefully you can find something you want.

esem, i think carpe diems would be lost on just about any work environment outside of conde nast.

Guest bigsink2

I thought the design was pretty clean. Input is always a good thing tho!

I dont see any round toes that are simliar on aldos website acutally.. crap.

98% have the semi pointy square front

Guest bigsink2

So point + Square is a no no? crazy it seems very popular.

I just checked out Steve Maddens website and the first results are all round and pointy.

Aldo, Steve Madden, Kenneth Cole all scream bridge and tunnel. Classic shaped shoes can be incorporated into modern/business casual attire. Go to a reputable highend shoe store, dept with good shoe section, explain the dresscode, and see what they will recommend you. If you see something you like in your price range, buy. If it is out of your price range, go the internet/discount store route and find a shoe that resembles the one that was recommended to you.

So point + Square is a no no? crazy it seems very popular.

I just checked out Steve Maddens website and the first results are all round and pointy.

I think it's popular because people who don't really know anything about style see it and think it's stylish/fashionable.

I'm defnitely not as knowledgable about names as a lot of people on here, but I will say, don't rush into it and buy something you'll regret. A good pair of dress shoes can last a long time so make sure you purchase a pair you really like when you decide to purchase.

First off - there's something here that needs to be nipped in the bud.

Desert boots/wallabee/visvims are NOT dress shoes. I know it's tough for some of the streetwear dudes to conceive of having to dress formally now and again, but I get so fed up of hearing the blogs/websites lauding all these hybrid sneakers like Visvims are being shoes you can wear formally.

You can't. Man it up and get some proper dress shoes.

Now that my little rant is over, here's a good article on why square toes are not good:

http://men.style.com/details/features/landing?id=content_5350

Cosign on the recommendations of Paul Smith shoes. If you want some proper dress shoes and are willing to spend a little, check out the english shoe makers like church's, loake, etc.

Also - whomever recommended Barker Black - while they are nice looking, well-made shoes, their $700 price tag is a bit much. Especially when you can get the aforemention british shoes for less.

Guest bigsink2

Like I said a few times, Im not interested in brands.. because each one listed has a hundred different styles. If i go to their stores i get more confused.

Im looking for info on styles.. THEN i will look for brands. Thanks for the link!

So the loafer i posted above falls in the square toe category? im confused.