Nike Air Tech Challenge / Agassi is back

maxamillion

i know. they were like $65 a pair or something. now, i spend more than that on a night of drinks, probably even with adjusting for inflation. :(

i thought before that i may have been in grade school when these came out, but that was wishful thinking. i was well into middle school. damn, getting old.

Didn't mean to imply that these are above criticism, but people need to calm down a bit until we see what shows up on shelves.

I too played in these when I was 9 (albeit in a kids size 7) and have fond memories of them. Even a non-identical retro will bring back some joy for me though.

If you're old and you hate em, well that's unfortunate because these have been a long time coming.

to be fair to Nike the changes they have made, a lot of them are so that it is a better performing shoe for a tennis player. that seems to be there intention with the shoe rather than for nostalgia and shoeheads.

Only problem i have is with the shade of neon, rest of shoe is fine.

i know. they were like $65 a pair or something. now, i spend more than that on a night of drinks, probably even with adjusting for inflation. :(

i thought before that i may have been in grade school when these came out, but that was wishful thinking. i was well into middle school. damn, getting old.

i remember being on the verge of tears trying to get my mom to buy me Nike Aqua Gears (yellow neon with the velcor strap) for summer camp in 1989. I think they were like 25 bucks.

she wouldn't buy them for me, btw.

to be fair to Nike the changes they have made, a lot of them are so that it is a better performing shoe for a tennis player. that seems to be there intention with the shoe rather than for nostalgia and shoeheads.

Only problem i have is with the shade of neon, rest of shoe is fine.

ummm... VERY few who play tennis seriously are buying this shoe for that purpose. the advancements made in performance sneakers over the last twenty years is staggering. i mean, these probably weigh almost twice as much as current tennis footwear. none of the changes shown could be adequately described as "advancements".

the issue of these is ALL about nostalgia.

ummm... VERY few who play tennis seriously are buying this shoe for that purpose. the advancements made in performance sneakers over the last twenty years is staggering. i mean, these probably weigh almost twice as much as current tennis footwear. none of the changes shown could be adequately described as "advancements".

the issue of these is ALL about nostalgia.

yes the main purpose is for nostalgia, but i still feel Nike believe despite not being of a top quality they like to improve the product a little for the times.

so sad to see the classics ruined this way. makes you wonder what shoes you should be buying now and saving for 15 years...

just a quick response to this quote... did anyone ever collect baseball cards and/or comic books back in the day (late 80's, early-mid 90's). Well if you did you'd know that they are pretty much worthless now and from what I see sneakers are heading towards the same trend. I mean Jordan OG's used to be worth 2-3 times the original price but ever since the retro's came out, only the ones whose specific colorway was not retro'ed are still worth anything. Also I am not an expert on the quality of Nikes but some of the shoes made 10-15 years ago by Nike have brittle and flaking midsoles (take the agassi's for example) and are no longer wearable. And while improvements in technology have been made, the quality of Nike shoes I have been told are going down because Nike is cutting production costs anywhere they can (take for example the Jordan XIII retro's that have ugly red glue squirtin out the seams).

Anyways back to my original point, collecting sneaks now for sentimental value is perhaps not a bad idea (and perhaps this was swisloc's intention), but for investment purposes I would stay far, far away.

P.S. I have a pair of OG agassi's in white and neon yellow colorway (nonwearable) if anyone wants to buy :P

Pictures from Purchaze.com, mens size:

Nike Air Tech Challenge "White/Black-Neon"

Description: White/Black - Sonic Yellow

Worn by Andre Agassi in 1990. They were the first signature shoes of the American Tennis Champion. He won 4 tournament titles during that year, wearing those kicks! They feature a strong ankle support, with a soft, white but durable leather upper with a clear transparent Air-Sole at the midsole with a unique flourescent yellow markings across the entire shoe.

Weight: 900 g

nike_airtech_challenge_wn.jpg

nike_airtech_challenge_wn_1.jpg

nike_airtech_challenge_wn_2.jpg

nike_airtech_challenge_wn_3.jpg

Looks brighter. Still missing the black part on the back midsole. I'll have to see these in person first.

Hopefully they will make it to the sale rack, I don't think I can stomach paying full price for a butchered version of a shoe that meant so much to me at one point in my life.

Nike is coming out with Air Flare this summer as well, hopefully I will get my hands on those in a sale - they may not look as good, but it surely performs better than ATC.

why do they always leave out the really amazing accents on their retro colors? the stab og colorway they reissued wasn't the same because the left off the black on the air part. Idk, if you're going to retro an og colorway, might as well do the whole thing insted of just little parts missing.

Hahaha... I am sure anyone can pull chix with those fresh kicks back in the day and today as well.

Shame on you Nike... you fucked up a classic.

agassiyo5.jpg

Keeping it mad fresh on the baseline!

mmmm...still have these and scared as shit that they'll fall apart if i ever wear them.

• 2 weeks later...
For those that don't know, that comparison is a an OG kids version vs. a somewhat old sample. Any proportion conlcusions you've drawn based on this comparison may not be correct. Of course there are some obvious differences (ie tennis ball) but I would wait to comment until you see a pair of retros in person. Most people complaining about these aren't even old enough to have owned the OG's! If you want a real opinion, ask Alex (aka RetroKid) and you'll see that he's quite satisfied with these. He's one of the most prominent collectors of Agassi gear and he isn't complaining. People cried for years to get a Stab retro and then they cried when they showed up. Boohoo. Maybe people need to get off Nikes for a while...try something new. Hell, get off the retro footwear. We're not entitled to anything on Nike's behalf.

I'm actually glad these are coming out again. Of course we've gotta take all of the bastardized colorways that follow, but ignore that crap. While everyone else is complaining on Niketalk about differences that are out of our control (and hardly noticeable when worn), we should just be wearing them.

Agreeeeeeeeeeed