what are you eating today?

soepom

i just HAD to take photos first.

state, dude, what??? I have no idea what that is. school me please.

jamon iberica de bellota. super super high quality ham. pigs grown on a small island off the coast of spain. they eat nothing but acorns for the last 1/4 of their life. runs about $80-120 per lb. i've only tasted it in small amounts at my local gourmet cheese/foods shop when the counter guys are being friendly. total next level shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamón_ibérico

Take high quality local organic whole milk with a bit of citric acid, bring it up to 90 degrees F, add vegetable rennet and stir for a minute, then let it curd up for 3 minutes with the heat off. Then start to knead with a little bit of salt, letting it sit in the 170 degree whey whenever it becomes too unpliable so you can keep working it. Once it is getting smooth and shiny, form it into whatever shape you like and store it in water with 2 tsp of salt per cup.

It was great when it was still warm, which was when I had it with the tomato, but it set up a bit firm for my liking. This was probably due to the fact that I had a quart of milk when the recipe called for a gallon, and I had to use ratios to make it. Ratios in cooking frequently are not an accurate way to alter a recipe, at least with finicky things like rice and this cheese. Less rennet and citric acid next time. Thanks for the kind words :)

Guest sousvide
l1010609bm5.jpg

"Aperol Spritz" in textures (champagne with aperol bubbles)

l1010615lr8.jpg

cold avocado-mint soup with tuna

l1010619cs9.jpg

pigeon with px-reduction and lomo iberico

[

That mint soup and tuna dish is stupid. How do you eat it with a spoon, fork, and knife? do you dip the tuna in the soup. I'm sure the flavors work, but the dish doesn't make sense.

And for the pigeon and iberico lomo dish. The pigeon is cooked beautifully, but I don't know why in the hell the chef would crisp the lomo. Lomo is dry cured pork loin for those who don't know. It's a waste of good product to crisp it up. Anyway...

Guest sousvide
Take high quality local organic whole milk with a bit of citric acid, bring it up to 90 degrees F, add vegetable rennet and stir for a minute, then let it curd up for 3 minutes with the heat off. Then start to knead with a little bit of salt, letting it sit in the 170 degree whey whenever it becomes too unpliable so you can keep working it. Once it is getting smooth and shiny, form it into whatever shape you like and store it in water with 2 tsp of salt per cup.

It was great when it was still warm, which was when I had it with the tomato, but it set up a bit firm for my liking. This was probably due to the fact that I had a quart of milk when the recipe called for a gallon, and I had to use ratios to make it. Ratios in cooking frequently are not an accurate way to alter a recipe, at least with finicky things like rice and this cheese. Less rennet and citric acid next time. Thanks for the kind words :)

Congrats on making your own mozarella, I make ricotta quite often, but its easy compared to mozzarella. Hey where did you get the rennet from?

i hit up Freeman's last night for a friend's birthday dinner. there were like 14 of us set up in a private room. had some xanax before the red started flowing so i ended up being responsible for a few broken glasses. food wasn't spectacular, but very good. had devils on horsebacks (baked prunes stuffed w/ stilton and wrapped in bacon), artichoke spread, rare ass filet w/ horseradish cream, chilled corn kernels w/ basil, heirlooms tomatoes, and a spread of comfort-like desserts. lotsa drank too. no pics, but it was an awesome meal.

Congrats on making your own mozarella, I make ricotta quite often, but its easy compared to mozzarella. Hey where did you get the rennet from?

I have a local grocery store called the co-op and it has everything interesting. Maybe a Whole Foods or similar store would have rennet?

For those interested in making mozz, 1 gallon of milk, to 1.5tsp citric acid, to 1/4 tablet of rennet. These amounts should yield a softer cheese than I got once it cooled off.