concerts: coming, going, gone

nettiemoore

i saw cluster on their first us tour (96?) and they were nothing special. it's not like they are exactly dedicated to pushing the envelope these days. boris are rubbish, but boris + kurihara = total magic. radiohead are a great live band. no fun will be crowded full of people i try to avoid in real life.

you can see why i don't go to many shows these days :D

no fun will be crowded full of people i try to avoid in real life.

But it's gonna be crowded full of people in general too. So it's easy to avoid the ones you know. Especially this year with it at the Knit. It's all about going to the balcony for the few good sets in the main space and then kicking it right up against the tap bar stage where most of the real good shit's going down.

Seriously, man? Have you seen the youtube videos of the crap they've been doing live lately? I don't see the appeal of seeing them play at all. Totally skipping them at No Fun.

No offense, as you seem like an alright guy and all but... I don't know what it is that you were looking for in cluster when you first heard them... It obviously wasn't Cluster.

i saw cluster on their first us tour (96?) and they were nothing special. it's not like they are exactly dedicated to pushing the envelope these days. boris are rubbish, but boris + kurihara = total magic. radiohead are a great live band. no fun will be crowded full of people i try to avoid in real life.

you can see why i don't go to many shows these days :D

Offense to you,

Who cares if they're not trying so desperately to earn their credibility badges? If you know anything about Moebius and Roedelius' work, that was never even the point of Cluster. Innovation came second to texture and tone. You sit down and listen to cluster. I'd hate to see how you poopouts would react to the Conny era. We'd have to dose you down on ritalin and bring your PSP so that you don't disturb the grown-ups. :)

No offense, as you seem like an alright guy and all but... I don't know what it is that you were looking for in cluster when you first heard them... It obviously wasn't Cluster.

You're probably right. I'm actually much more fond of the earlier material as Kluster. Which is definitely a whole different animal.

Cluster became immediately more concerned with consistency and a less absolute and more repetitive form of expressionism after Conny Schnitz left. This made things more accessible but that wasn't the point. You're right, they are two totally different animals. I think that the noticeable differences between Kluster, Cluster, and Harmonia are a testament to the honesty and authenticity of the music that Roedelius and Moebius create in that the core sound and direction always changes when you add another element. In harmonias case that was Michael Rother. Instead of trying to force a new element to conform to an established mold, they let the new mix grow organically from the beginning. That holds more value to me than the plethora of "experimental" sound designers of their mold that simply try to one up each other and who's music will never last as moebius, and more specifically, roedelius' music will. The work of hans roedelius is some of the most honest I've ever come across.

You might like Roedelius and Schnitzler's Acon album. If you like that, try Roedelius - La Nordica.

These are sound design, as is Cluster (even more so today). They take patience and the ability to accept sound events alone as the solitary concept. The rest is compositional expressionism mixed with textural improv. It's rewarding if you're not looking for something that will get you laid at their show, as the hipsterisms are virtually non-existent.

Well, I'll definitely see if I can download Acon when I get home from work tonight. Check what that's about. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've got no problem with sound-as-sound and textural improv. Been pumping Gunter Muller and Toshimaru Nakamura's album Tint just now while my boss is out of the office. I mean, it's even the music I make (dig the myspace link in my sig if you're curious). But somehow Cluster never grabbed my attention the right way. Something too smooth about it. I need those rough edges that often come alongside improvisational risk taking. "virtuosity" sometimes just isn't as interesting.

Well, I'll definitely see if I can download Acon when I get home from work tonight. Check what that's about. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've got no problem with sound-as-sound and textural improv. Been pumping Gunter Muller and Toshimaru Nakamura's album Tint just now while my boss is out of the office. I mean, it's even the music I make (dig the myspace link in my sig if you're curious). But somehow Cluster never grabbed my attention the right way. Something too smooth about it. I need those rough edges that often come alongside improvisational risk taking. "virtuosity" sometimes just isn't as interesting.

Cluster definately has mellowed out in a sense, I'll give you that. That's mostly roedelius i think. Moebius still has a somewhat abrasive character to his work. I'd say that Roedelius and Moebius are very "anti-virtuosic" if anything, though. It's pretty much some of the least athletic music I've ever heard.

PS- What ever happened to the music swap thread? I'm going to put some shit up on slsk tonight and bring that thread back from the dead.

battles seems kinda random for summerstage, but that's pretty awesome...

i dont necessarily agree. i saw sonic youth at summerstage in 2003, dinosaur jr. and BSS in 2005, coheed & cambria in 2006

summerstage shakes it up every once in a while.

Saw cluster last night at florestree. It was fantastic, actually. They had incredible control and their delivery of each event was so spot-on. Afterwards I met Roedelius and he was as delightful as I knew he would be.

Was anybody else there?

ZQ-a_N2Zy0E

J Rocc

n36608666_33653934_2992.jpg
Wu-Tang Concert

n36608666_33906764_3111.jpg
Back Yard Band/Slim from the wire

slimcharles.jpg

Interesting side note: I got into a scuffle. Actually I got stolen' off on. So I was High and drunk and I started easing my way onto a honey-dip and not even 2 seconds into the grind, her mans started shoving me. We pushed each other back and forth for like 5 seconds till the bouncers broke us up. Then a random motherfucker stole off on me(jaw), and I didn't see who did it. I had the sour puss on me face the rest of the concert. My face didn't hurt till the next morning and continued on for the following 2weeks. But that night I didn't feel it(drunk & high), I took that punch like a champ and was still ready to go at it. FUCK WIT MER

Offense to you,

Who cares if they're not trying so desperately to earn their credibility badges? If you know anything about Moebius and Roedelius' work, that was never even the point of Cluster. Innovation came second to texture and tone. You sit down and listen to cluster. I'd hate to see how you poopouts would react to the Conny era. We'd have to dose you down on ritalin and bring your PSP so that you don't disturb the grown-ups. :)

no offense taken - i don't get riled up about other people's opinions, get carried away in interpreting them, or speculate as to their motives and / or lifestyles. that you would choose to do so while fundamentally agreeing with me is fascinating to someone out there i'm sure.

as for the "conny" era, cluster II is one of the great records of all-time. i would love to see a similar argument made for any of their records post-75.