Boots?

soultek

Any favorite boot brands out there? I'm talking like work boots with non-rubber soles. Are there any leather soled boots out there without a big heel?

I see elements I like in a few brands, but nothing that really hits the mark in my eyes.

Serge, seems like you're into boots. Any thoughts?

I love my RM Williams, you can get them at aussiebushhats.com for $180 shipped or $350 + shipping through RM Williams. Blunnies are nice too I wear boots at work and they have to be very rugged and able to withstand lots of water. I Check out RM williams, prada even made some copies of them a couple of years ago. they are like a cross between a city and a cowboy boot.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Jul 11, 2005 at 11:16 AM

The aussiebootandhat.com link doesn't work, but I am really interested in buying some (and 180 is alot cheaper then I've seen anywhere else, including ebay). Any hints?

thanks guys,

I'm diggin the RMW Rigger sold on that site. I'll be in NYC next week, will see if the RMW shop there carries them.

Not sure if I like the elastic sides of those boots, probably just have to try them on w/ pants to see how they work.

gotta check out Lambertson Truex. they are kind of a sleeper brand as they just started making men's shoes. their fall 04 collection had some wicked looking stuff in it. formal, but edgy.

Also check out Iramo. Edgier than your average men's shoe brand. Has a shop on Spring in NYC.

• 1 month later...

I've never really liked Red Wings, although I have earned them icon_smile_tongue.gif! They are kind of boring looking and really heavy. I have owned 3 pairs in the past (Chuccas and Irish Setters) and never liked how the sole gets all rounded. I also don't think that the leather is very good quality. I know I am going to get FLAMED!

Carpe Denim!

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Jul 12, 2005 at 12:22 PM

That's fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. At least you have solid reasons for not liking them, rather than the usual "shit is lame".

Good call on RM Williams. Definitely a very good looking boot. I'd buy a pair myself, but I can't envisage myself in a situation where I'd ever need such a hard wearing boot. What do you get up to in them?!

Yeah, they go with me in the vineyards and in the cellar where it is always wet! They also go with me to the barn when I look after my Girlfriend's horses. What is great about RM williams is that they clean up really well after some hard wear and they have a stitch-down sole so you can resole them, where blunnies only last me a year because they can't be resoled. I am the enologist (wine scientist) at Saintsbury in Carneros.

Carpe Denim!

Also, I think RM williams are more like the Tony Lama of OZ. They are what the shit kickers wear when they go to town. Although I don't wear them out, only when I'm working or doing wine type functions, they are sold as a "walking boot" to New Yorkers. When I am walking about town I wear my blunnies or some tennies, sneakers, or trainers... what ever you guys call them.

Carpe Denim!

That job description is right on. Basically I am in charge on all the record keeping, analysis, sanitation, training of interns and stuff like that. I set up all the tastings and have to remember all sorts of numbers off the top of my head. I have a backgound in food (was a sous chef and a cheese monger) was a wine buyer for a a berkeley grocery store and have worked in 3 different wineries. I graduated with a degree in enology in 2003. There are 2 schools in the US with B. S. programs in enology. It is a lot of work, but it's a lot of fun. For the most part, Winemakers have horible fashion sense! Fleece and light blue denim run rampant in these parts!

Carpe Denim!