Are our jeans doing their job?

dmaz

Quality is not the same thing as durability in this case. I have work-pants that are made of modern materials like corduroy and stuff like that and if they wouldn't hold up THAT would be a quality issue.

If my reproduction jeans with cotton threading don't hold up thats nothing new to me. I'm amazed that people are saying things like "My 250$ pair of jeans are bad quality the seams dont hold up and I got crotch rips....". Where is it said that these jeans are more durable than 50$ jeans (they might even be less durable...)?

I would like to say that there should be other reasons to buy these jeans but I'm too fucked up right now and it would sound too cheesy so maybe day after tomorrow. Peace. Love your jeans, mend them when they need it... :D

Quality is not the same thing as durability in this case. I have work-pants that are made of modern materials like corduroy and stuff like that and if they wouldn't hold up THAT would be a quality issue.

If my reproduction jeans with cotton threading don't hold up thats nothing new to me. I'm amazed that people are saying things like "My 250$ pair of jeans are bad quality the seams dont hold up and I got crotch rips....". Where is it said that these jeans are more durable than 50$ jeans (they might even be less durable...)?

I would like to say that there should be other reasons to buy these jeans but I'm too fucked up right now and it would sound too cheesy so maybe day after tomorrow. Peace. Love your jeans, mend them when they need it... :D

So people really are saying that jeans that advertise themselves are quality workwear should not be held to the same "quality standards" as workwear?

If a pair of jeans get crotch rips then how is it quality? Isn't that why people consider jap jeans higher quality than nudies? So isn't that a double standard?

Don't people here shit on sevens because "quality isn't there"? If you are saying that sevens are overpriced because they are only expensive because of fit and branding, then how can you say that $250 jap jeans aren't over priced when they rip and fall apart just like sevens?

Seriously. We buy jeans because of quality. If $250 jeans fall apart than how are they quality? Are they quality because they shrink when you wet em'?

I think we are all assuming that vintage levis are durable as hell and never had crotch blowouts or seems busting, etc. The vintage levis that have withstood the test of time are probably pairs that weren't put through the hell that some on this board try to. The vintage levis that did have crotch blow outs and seams torn, probably got thrown into the trash, thus leaving us with the pairs we see today on ebay and in vintage stores that could handle the beatings. I guess it is survival of the fittest.

People on this board are sometimes trying to put years of wear into their jeans in just six months leading to blown out jeans.

Think about this - the thicker denim we wear, if we all wore proper size and didn't care so much about waiting x amount of months to wash, its going to last alot longer than brands like seven, true religion, etc, just due to how much thicker the denim is, it will take alot more to get a hole in a pair of selvedge denim compared to the thin denim used in alot of the brands i mentioned above...

Guest jeffvyain

i've been forced to give up skateboarding because of what it was doing to my body, but falling 35 mph down a hill in nashville, aside from a tiny bit of indigo lost, didn't affect my jeans one bit (5000vx). it just tore monstrous holes in my hands and hip. worst thing to happen so far was a really awkward fall where and fell on my ass with my leg underneath me and slid a bit. Lost a bit of indigo on the shin area and had a tiny rip in the selvage. This was maybe 4 months ago and I haven't gotten them fixed or anything. No issues. The small hole that formed from the edge of the cell phone I used to sit on daily hasn't gotten any larger since I changed phones and stopped sitting on it.

Some people's jeans are a little more messed up than others, but that's because they're wearing them too tight like little girls or biking every day or their cock spike is tearing holes the denim, and they're doing it all every day...not because their japanese denim is shit.

I think we are all assuming that vintage levis are durable as hell and never had crotch blowouts or seems busting, etc. The vintage levis that have withstood the test of time are probably pairs that weren't put through the hell that some on this board try to. The vintage levis that did have crotch blow outs and seams torn, probably got thrown into the trash, thus leaving us with the pairs we see today on ebay and in vintage stores that could handle the beatings. I guess it is survival of the fittest.

People on this board are sometimes trying to put years of wear into their jeans in just six months leading to blown out jeans.

i really don't give a shit about authenticity. I think vintage levi's weren't perfect, so copying the flaws like 100% cotton threads doesn't make sense. But still, jeans weren't fashionable back then, they were used by farmers who farmed everyday for a living. they had one pair of work jeans that were used until they dissapeared. So i doubt that some skinny kids are doing more damage by smoking blunts by the 7/11.

Think about this - the thicker denim we wear, if we all wore proper size and didn't care so much about waiting x amount of months to wash, its going to last alot longer than brands like seven, true religion, etc, just due to how much thicker the denim is, it will take alot more to get a hole in a pair of selvedge denim compared to the thin denim used in alot of the brands i mentioned above...

the heaviness of the denim doesn't determine quality. 45 rpm makes very thin denim that is considered quality. Selvage doesn't predict quality either. There could be bad quality denim that's salvage.

I'm gonna hate myself in the morning but fuck it.

This thread is about as useful as a constipated chicken.

A few years ago Filson sent me a catalog with 93 year old guy on the cover, he was wearing a 66 year old Filson coat that he wore while working on the construction of the Grand Coulee dam. I had a Filson Packer that was destroyed after four years. But in the same time I probably would have gone through 3-4 Carhartts so the price isn't that much of an issue. I'm guessing that the old guy left his handing in the closet for most of those 66 years. I have a life so I don't have much time to ponder what this means.

My Sams needed a crotch repair after nearly 8 months of constant wear. I got them fixed and unless you had your eye an inch from my crotch you couldn't really tell. The truly fucked up part is that a few days after I got them back they were taken out by a high pressure hydraulic line. My workwear got fucked up while I was working wearing said workwear. Imagine that.

Even worse my $500 pair of boots are now a $500 boot, the left one is in several pieces. Should I sue Wesco and demand satisfaction? On the other hand I could write a thank you note since I'm quite happy that I can still walk on my left foot.

You buy shit, you use shit, shit gets used up, move on.

after the first wash, people need to wash their jeans more often. if you wear them 5 days a week or more, you should wash them once a month. the oil and sweat from your skin weakens the denim. washing them revitalizes it. its stupid how people go another 6 months before the second wash. their jeans are busted and retired before they get the best fading possible.

further to the above

a friend got knocked off of his motorbike while wearing his sc47 (tailgated by a car at around 40mph)

the bike being new (powerful and expensive) he tried to hold the bike up while falling with his knee

the jeans have a small scrape, no hole, just a little wear where the tarmac was in constant contact while going down.

he gets the bike back this coming week after three weaks in repair shop, has been wearing the jeans every day since and was unhurt in the 'accident'....

in this instance the jeans did exactly what they were originally designed for, whatever else you are talking about is 'fashion'