Best Watch For Under 1000 Bucks.

Brienneoftarth

There are a few very high quality, now defunct, vintage brands that are certainly on par with the best of them like Patek, which are really underpriced--perhaps, not quite $1000, but certainly less than $5000 and most under $3000.

However, I would be revealing some secrets by mentioning them.:)

Either way, vintage Omegas are a nice source as are some of the modern Germanic brands, which while not fantastically finished, they are like most German products efficently done and with a certain Teutonic style.

that plasmir really appeals to me. I'm not big into names, I really just want a good qaulity watch that will last a long time. where can u get them?

Unfortuantely the American preorders for the maunal wind are done. You can get a better idea here http://www.rockxwatch.com/eng/solid/.

I am asking a friend to ask his relatives (Tokyo natives) to look for them in April when they release. I was told that it is obtainable, but may take some time. In addition discounts for them are rare.

You can always check ebay, but there are a lot of fake RXW out there, but mostly the Marina. I don't think there is a fake Plasmir out there, however recent Ebay results have proved to be futile because prices are still relatively high.

If you like the watch I suggest you spend a little more. Maybe some of the folks in here can chime in about how rare it is for a sub 1000 to appreciate in value.

Good luck.

My personal preference on watches (and most things) is form over function. But here are some that are beautiful, and tell the time like they're supposed to.

Fossil PH5002: This is one of the nicest starck - fossil collaborations in my opinion. And definitely within your budget, with lots more to spare. My problem with the starck watches is that my wrist is way too small, and the strap is tricky to shorten.

ph5002cp8.jpg

Ventura Sparc FX: This one is not too far out of your budget, though Ventura is a young brand, it's one with a great design ethos matched by excellent functionality. There are lots of other really awesome designs too so do check em out at www.ventura.ch/

venturasparcfxoperatedang3.jpg

And my dream watch, though costing almost 5 times your budget, the Rado V10K.

radov10kbe4.jpg

I have heard Poljot is not a good buy, due to below-average durability, as well as usage of mediocre parts.

i gleaned this from Timezone. Wonder if anyone has input to chime in, since I did wanted a Poljot a year or so ago.

Heard the same thing. A good friend of mine visits Russia regularly and was told that Poljot is only popular outside of Russia, and that they could be cheaply purchased. From what I understand the Quality Control for many of their products is non-existant. Good pilot is still a Citizen Nighthawk. Excellent bang for the buck. For the diver I recommend the Seiko Monster. Both pieces are sub 500.

^^^ the quality is supposed to be really good. it has an incredible flashlight built in and you never have to change the battery cuz it comes with a charger.

it's the watch that jack bauer wears in 24. (not in season 1 though, in the season 1, he rocked a fake rolex submariner)

it's also the watch that they wear in the movie blackhawk down. HOWEVER, in the real incidents of blackhawk down, they wore casio g-shocks. that's why i went with the black protek prg80.

supposedly, the MTM watch is now being worn by members of special forces, but i am not sure about this. i do know that g-shock is popular in the special forces because it has been "battle tested" with satisfactory results.

but the MTM watch does look great.

Heard the same thing. A good friend of mine visits Russia regularly and was told that Poljot is only popular outside of Russia, and that they could be cheaply purchased. From what I understand the Quality Control for many of their products is non-existant. Good pilot is still a Citizen Nighthawk. Excellent bang for the buck. For the diver I recommend the Seiko Monster. Both pieces are sub 500.

This sucks. I was really considering getting one in the $500 range but will probably pass now. I wonder how Sturmanskie's quality is.

thanks for the info miz; I'd give you +rep but I already did today :P

looks like I have a watch purchase in my future

thanks ghostdeini,

if you want something a little cheaper with more features, i would go with the black protek prg80. you can find ones for around $180ish. the MTM special ops watch used to be $350, but because of the popularity of 24, they bumped the price to $450.

I gotta co-sine on the Citizen Nighthawk, it's a great watch for a really fair price and you never need to wind it or change batteries because it's an Eco-Drive movement that gets charged by daylight. Just make sure to get one of the Asian or Euro versions that has the cool engraved caseback. The US version is laser etched and pales in comparison.

strike while the iron is hot! 1G starting bid but only 1 hour left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RXW-Plasmir-Mil-graph-Marina-Militare-VALJOX7750-Swiss_W0QQitemZ320086856131QQihZ011QQcategoryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one, slightly more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RXW-PLASMIR-MILOGRAPH-S-S-MANUAL-WIND-CHRONO-B-P_W0QQitemZ110095512237QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

both made by the same folks who did the marina militare RXW. good quality/construction. first one has a swiss 7750.

if those dont do it for you check out Laco:

http://www.watchwindow.com/laco/series1/861062.html

looks nice for the price.

Robideux- I was hoping you would chime in. The Laco's look pretty solid. However I have my heart set on the new IWC Pilot. I have the old 38mm Fliegerchronograph, and will definitely trade it in when the I get my tax return. If anyone wants to buy a near mind IWC will box and papers for half retail let me know. Comes with deployment buckle.

sinn did the movements for the original bell and ross watches, so quality is guaranteed.

i think the bell and ross demure would be acceptable, and cheaper than the rest of the range credentials? the french bomb squad use them.

i am personally saving the pennys for the BR-01 pink gold and carbon OR the black and orange

this site is excellent as well

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/index.htm

favourite:

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/ollech_&_wajs.htm

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/porsche_design.htm

^the IWC porche design. clean and simple adn definately under budget