Noirs/Neo-noirs

Fuuma

I recently re-watched Chinatown and The long goodbye, two of my favourite neo-noirs, I was wondering if anybody could recommend some great choices in the same generic vein:

• Noirs

• Neo-noirs

• Non-American noirs (in case you don’t classify them as “true” noirs)

For some reason I really like the Gumshoe archetype, although it is not a requirement for me to enjoy those genre films.

The Long Goodbye is a favorite of mine, too (California Split is also great, but not a Noir - Gould and Altman).

Some of my favorites -

Noirs: Night of the Hunter, Kiss of Death (original with Richard Widmark), In a Lonely Place (Nicholas Ray and Bogart, semi-noir), Pickup on South Street (another Widmark noir), Man with the Golden Arm (Sinatra), White Heat, Out of the Past, Double Indemnity - man too many . I really love Hitchcock's Stranger's on a Train.

Neo-Noirs - can't think of too many off the top of my head. Maybe Hard Times? That's a great noirish movie with Charles Bronson. I like Miami Blues, sort of 80s noir.

Foreign noirs - the French are the masters. Clouzot and Melville. Wages of Fear and Diabolique are awesome. Bob the Gambler and Le Samorai - great. Rififi is great. Etc.

Not really a fan of noirs, but my boring choice is Maltese Falcon, and I really like Jean-Pierre Melvielle's works I've seen (le samourai, le duolos, le cercle rouge, bob le flambeur), but you probably seen all these already. Not necessarily a noir/neo-noir, but have you watched Melvielle's recently restored work? I can't remember the damn title now... going imdb... back... yeah The Army of Shadows (L'armée des ombres)! I caught it during last year's filmfest and it was amazing!

for sci-fi noir blade runner hands down. for a different take on neo noir, david fincher's se7en and the game. also check out l.a. confidential, heat, collateral, kiss kiss bang bang, naked lunch, the man who wasn't there, young adam and other modern day noirs.

Great thread. Noir and neo noir is my favorite sub genre of films.

And to answer NESK, yes Brick is a neo noir. This film is hugely influenced by the novels of Dashiel Hammit, which are the novels that many of the noir films of the 40's were based off of too.

As for Noir I would recommend .. Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, The Maltese Falcon, M, Out of the Past, and The Killing.

And for Neo Noir films, you should check out: Brick, Blade Runner, Old Boy, and Blue Velvet.

The Long Goodbye is a favorite of mine, too (California Split is also great, but not a Noir - Gould and Altman).

Some of my favorites -

Noirs: Night of the Hunter, Kiss of Death (original with Richard Widmark), In a Lonely Place (Nicholas Ray and Bogart, semi-noir), Pickup on South Street (another Widmark noir), Man with the Golden Arm (Sinatra), White Heat, Out of the Past, Double Indemnity - man too many . I really love Hitchcock's Stranger's on a Train.

Neo-Noirs - can't think of too many off the top of my head. Maybe Hard Times? That's a great noirish movie with Charles Bronson. I like Miami Blues, sort of 80s noir.

Foreign noirs - the French are the masters. Clouzot and Melville. Wages of Fear and Diabolique are awesome. Bob the Gambler and Le Samorai - great. Rififi is great. Etc.

Didn't know about Hard times, thanks....

Not really a fan of noirs, but my boring choice is Maltese Falcon, and I really like Jean-Pierre Melvielle's works I've seen (le samourai, le duolos, le cercle rouge, bob le flambeur), but you probably seen all these already. Not necessarily a noir/neo-noir, but have you watched Melvielle's recently restored work? I can't remember the damn title now... going imdb... back... yeah The Army of Shadows (L'armée des ombres)! I caught it during last year's filmfest and it was amazing!

I'm quite a fan of Melville's work, L'armée des ombres included. Actually i've seen plenty of french detective/crime/noir/cop/genre films (all these are different things, of course) and grew up watching some so I doubt I'll find some new recs here. I'd like to discover something different, like let's say Brazilian 60s psychedelic crime films or Hindi 80s noirs (I'm making these up but that would be cool if they existed!).

I have Fritz Lang's "Scarlet Street" with Edward G. Robinson (Keyes in "Double Indemnity"), Edward Dmytryk's "Murder, My Sweet" and Samuel Fuller's "Pickup on South Street" sitting right in front of me. All three are wonderful movies, I found Dick Powell's ability to pull off a most perfect PI spectacular. It's definitely the most classically "noir" and badass of the three. They're all wonderful movies and must be seen.

I'm quite a fan of Melville's work, L'armée des ombres included. Actually i've seen plenty of french detective/crime/noir/cop/genre films (all these are different things, of course) and grew up watching some so I doubt I'll find some new recs here.

Yes I knew you were a fan of Melville, but I had to mention L'armée des ombres just in case you hadn't seen it since its a renewal and all :)

I'd like to discover something different, like let's say Brazilian 60s psychedelic crime films or Hindi 80s noirs (I'm making these up but that would be cool if they existed!).

I would definitely want to watch something like that too. Post on this thread if you ever find something of that caliber.

Btw, I've sent you a PM reply on the other forum.

$100 says fuuma has seen le samouraï more than the amount of times recommended (and soon to be) in this thread!

Hahahhaa, yeah I've been a huge fan for years. BTW not that it matters that much but I think that you'll agree with me that it is not a film noir, none of Melville's were IMHO.

Yes I knew you were a fan of Melville, but I had to mention L'armée des ombres just in case you hadn't seen it since its a renewal and all :)

I would definitely want to watch something like that too. Post on this thread if you ever find something of that caliber.

Btw, I've sent you a PM reply on the other forum.

I'll post if I find something of note. Some japanese new-wave films might be considered noir and are quite interesting, like the b-movie madness of Seijun Suzuki.

Hahahhaa, yeah I've been a huge fan for years. BTW not that it matters that much but I think that you'll agree with me that it is not a film noir, none of Melville's were IMHO.

i never really though about it that way, but you're right. sometimes i consider deux hommes dans manhattan a noir though... i think, even though it is the most new wave of the new wave.

btw if you are looking for things in the style of suzuki's b-movies then i can absolutely recommend the gialli genre. and what's awesome is there are bottles of j&b in almost every film, just like gitanes in french crime films.

• 4 months later...
Guest Airjamie

As far as neo-noirs go, i wpuld point you to the coen bros noir trilogy, the big lebowski being the best of all three.I actually just got done with a course on noir films, taken post grad. I didnt take it intentionally, as it was originally labeled as a spike lee course. However if you really would like to read some provoking material on noir and other associated films, id reccomend reading crime films by thomas leitch.