"smart casual" sf endorsed shoes?

dumadiscount

My gf is forcing me to buy a mature "going out" or smart casual type shoe that can be worn with slacks or my new standards.

At the moment I wear black leather lace up shoes for work, and white chucks or jordans at all other times.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for? The only real option seems to be some type of beige/light brown leather shoe on that screams out the word "METRO" in my head every time every time I see someone else wearing something similar.

Help! I'm a lawyer so something I can wear to the office on casual Fridays would be great too.

I'd say find a decent pair of casual boots, those should go under your new standards since the opening is fairly loose. Filippa K makes some nice looking ones, I don't know about the quality.

I think Sidney Lo posted some nice ones recently, let me see if I can find them...

edit: found them

waywt_feb18_02_02.jpg

waywt_feb18_03.jpg

Not boots obviously, but these are pretty "smart casual." Other members are more up on the boots scene though, so they might be able to suggest something. The stuff I like, Ann D. / Carpe Diem etc... is probably too expensive (well, it is for me, at least) and probably a little too "fashion foward" to make sense for casual fridays.

smarter sneakers:

P1150305.jpg

QUOTE]

If you're looking for something along these lines as well, I think Margiela does a pair of german army sneakers that are nice, or you just find a pair of german army sneakers. I believe it would probably be cheaper than these Diors in both cases (Although I could be wrong about the Margielas)

If you're looking for something along these lines as well, I think Margiela does a pair of german army sneakers that are nice, or you just find a pair of german army sneakers. I believe it would probably be cheaper than these Diors in both cases (Although I could be wrong about the Margielas)

I prefer Margiela's interpretations of the German Army to Dior's. Why? Because the Margiela's actually look and feel like SNEAKERS, not some glitzy, overpolished commercial designer piece that feels a bit too uptight and refined for what they should be. An exception to this is the first season Dior started doin the German Army's, back in Votc (a/w 04-05), back then it was more of a simple design with some small twists, and they still looked like you can beat the shit out of them and have them love you back.

Margiela's are goin up in price though....when he started doin them like 2 winters ago they were $215. I saw the same pair in GQ recently and now it's bordering on $400, so not much of a price difference between the margi's and dior's.

I prefer Margiela's interpretations of the German Army to Dior's. Why? Because the Margiela's actually look and feel like SNEAKERS, not some glitzy, overpolished commercial designer piece that feels a bit too uptight and refined for what they should be. An exception to this is the first season Dior started doin the German Army's, back in Votc (a/w 04-05), back then it was more of a simple design with some small twists, and they still looked like you can beat the shit out of them and have them love you back.

Margiela's are goin up in price though....when he started doin them like 2 winters ago they were $215. I saw the same pair in GQ recently and now it's bordering on $400, so not much of a price difference between the margi's and dior's.

Agreed, I have the grey margielas. Dior is too polished and prada like, never liked them.

FTB endorsed: CHURCH'S. Close thread....

Nah but Church's are excellent...can be dressed up or down, really well made shoes. The black oxford type shoes Helmut Lang used to make are excellent too...now that HL is gone, I saw a pair from Raf Simons last season that were killer.

Been looking for HL's but if Raf comes out with some heat for spring or fall will pick them up. Or will have to rely on my man mmm as his spring collection looks promising.

...Raf comes out with some heat for spring or fall will pick them up. Or will have to rely on my man mmm as his spring collection looks promising.

Something about Raf coming out with "heat" made me laugh aloud. Frankly, I can't stand Dior's german army sneakers, so I was trying to come up with a polite way to suggest alternatives.

GET SPERRY TOPSIDERS I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!! did you see the apc 2007 collection?

they are selling the exact i mean exact same thing as sperry boat shoes and they are asking $276? wtf sperry's are only 65 bucks,

Something about Raf coming out with "heat" made me laugh aloud. Frankly, I can't stand Dior's german army sneakers, so I was trying to come up with a polite way to suggest alternatives.

you like that huh

raf's shit is too techy garbage for me most of the time

raf's shit is too techy garbage for me most of the time

yeah...in my mind I want Raf to stand as the replacement to Helmut Lang ever since HL left. The two brands aren't really similar, and while HL had a flair for cutting clothes that were kind of "off" in their fit, it was still wearable...while Raf's cutting is REALLY weird, a lot of his pieces just fit awkwardly. There's still some gems scattered throughout Raf's collections that are reminiscent of HL in delivering a classic basic executed with the finest simplicity though. That shoe i was talkin about was one of them.

Hi, I'm also on the lookout for nice dressy lace-ups. I'm just a bit hesitant whether shoes with shiny leather types will work well with denim. I like the ones that SidneyLo bought, the leather looks matte-ish. Anything good for a decent price range? Around the $150-200 range?

yeah...in my mind I want Raf to stand as the replacement to Helmut Lang ever since HL left. The two brands aren't really similar, and while HL had a flair for cutting clothes that were kind of "off" in their fit, it was still wearable...while Raf's cutting is REALLY weird, a lot of his pieces just fit awkwardly. There's still some gems scattered throughout Raf's collections that are reminiscent of HL in delivering a classic basic executed with the finest simplicity though. That shoe i was talkin about was one of them.

Werd, I really want to like raf more. I'm going to be picking up some of his casual pants from the new fall collection if the fit is on point.

dude dont let her run you its the begining of the end

haha word.

im gonna hold off as long as i can. something about dressy shoes and jeans make me feel like im going to look like those other douchebags i see walking around in a similar get up.

thanks everyone for the suggestions though... i may look into some boots shortly

the smart dress shoe and jeans combo is kind of the douche's uniform nowadays.

BUT, a classic slim shape, slightly beat up, brown vintage-ish leather shoes and denim. its like peas and carrots_a winning combo

im getting into shoes like the rest of you guys are into denim. various cuts (lasts), shapes, heels, detials like that. aided by my friend who is actually studying shoe design. might be able to find a picture of one his designs if i can

as for the diors. its like wearing a leather sock. v comfortable. and the shape for me is spot on

know what you mean about not being able to beat it up. the leather is almost too soft.

almost