NYC Apt. Search Tips

down4nyhc

Anyone have any tips on getting good deals on apts. in NYC. I'm looking for a reasonably priced places($1400) and would like to live in the city or Brooklyn. I really want to avoid some scumbag broker taking my hard earned money. Anyone have any tips, loopholes they found around this. Or is there really no other way?

Even though brokers are leeches, I would not discriminate between fee and no fee apartments. It's hard enough finding the right place in the right neighborhood, and I've found that you pay the same no matter what. No fee apartments are generally about 5-10% more per month so if you plan on staying there at least two years, you will have spent the money anyway.

Also, brokers will usually have you sign a contract before they show you any apartments. This usually states that you owe them 15% of the year's rent if you decide to take the apartment. Negotiate! I used to cross off 15% and write in 12%. If they don't go for it, find another broker. There are thousands of them. Most will agree to a 12% fee. In fact, I recommend using several brokers right off the bat. Abuse them, not the other way around.

i know. i read the long thread that consists of people bickering about gentrification of neighborhoods and the high rent prices. quite frankly, it doesn't help me. i guess i've accepted all that NYC is and am willing to pay a certain price.

as far as this belonging to superjetset, i think otherwiseif i'm not wrong description of jet set usualy involves some kind of travel and i am already here.

i am looking for people to give me advice i could use. and please don't say craigslist.

You can search Craigslist for by owner apartments, but you're really likely to get a better range of choices if you go through a broker. Figure out where you want to live and find a small brokerage in that area to keep fees down. If Brooklyn, see if posters at http://brooklynian.com/forums/ can recommend one from their 'hood. Avoid big brokers like Corcoran. They tend to deal in higher priced / shittier properties and they charge way too much. Bear in mind that even a 12% fee on a $1400 per month apartment is going to be over $2k.This'll be on top of the $4200+ for first / last / security you can expect the landlord to ask for.

The best way to get a decent apartment in NYC remains word of mouth. If you know people living here ask them to let you know if there's anything going in their buildings or in the buildings of people they know. A recommendation to a landlord from a good tennant will often give you the edge over other applicants.

Brokers make things a hell of a lot easier, even if most of the are scumbags. It's just an unfortunate reality of the NYC rental game. If you want a place that is either not a dump or in a desireable neighborhood and expect a fair price, you either have to pay a broker or shake down family, friends, co-workers, etc. for leads.

That doesn't just mean looking for rent-by-owner but also could be taking over someone else's lease. In fact, that's how I got my current place -- a friend of a friend was buying her own apt and didn't want to forfeit her deposit. I took over her lease with no fee or raise in rent, she got her deposit, and the owner kept the apt fully occupied.

I think it is funny how with things like this many talk about how to avoid brokers etc...and often in the same sentence speak of how tough it is to find a place without one. This to me says they provide a service for you and are "worth it." Seems similar to finding a home to buy without one, can be done, but then you have to do the work and develop your own expertise