Anime / Manga

englandmj7

Ok, read Solanin and it was really good. Have you guys read other works by the same author? Anything similar to recommend?

What a Wonderful World! comes in two volumes and it's by the same author. I personally don't think it's as good as Solanin, but it's definitely disputable.

I think you should also check out Taiyo Matsumoto's manga such as Black & White (Tekkonkinkreet) or Ping Pong (a little harder to find). It's not really similar to Inio Asano's work but having seen the list of manga you've been reading I think that you'd like it. It's preety avant garde and experimental.

KRAZY_Matsumoto2_500.jpg

tekkonkinkreet1ur5.jpg

Bartender is an interesting manga too, dunno if it would really qualify as a slice of life manga. it's about, well a bartender and his job

http://www.onemanga.com/Bartender/

Himizu is very interesting too, though it's discontinued i think

http://www.onemanga.com/Himizu/

Haru Jo Koi is nice if you like a bit of seinen, slice of life, drama. sex scenes included, and there are quite a few of em. very hot chicks in that one

Usagi Drop and Otaku No Musume-san hit both the same curb, slice of life, seinen, comedy

What a Wonderful World! comes in two volumes and it's by the same author. I personally don't think it's as good as Solanin, but it's definitely disputable.

I think you should also check out Taiyo Matsumoto's manga such as Black & White (Tekkonkinkreet) or Ping Pong (a little harder to find). It's not really similar to Inio Asano's work but having seen the list of manga you've been reading I think that you'd like it. It's preety avant garde and experimental.

KRAZY_Matsumoto2_500.jpg

tekkonkinkreet1ur5.jpg

If you've got money to burn I'd recommend hard copy for Black and White. The new(ish) oversized omnibus is probably pretty close in pure page size, to the original visual experience. Don't know how much it really matters, but I guess I would liken it to watching films in the original ratio the creators worked with.

Just found Cesare and it's very very interesting, definately worth a recommendation

Bookish and naive, Angelo da Canossa is unprepared for life as a student in a university that hums with tension and intrigue in Renaissance Italy. Will his innocence remain intact when a chance encounter with the charismatic Cesare draws him ever deeper into the darker side of the Renaissance?

I second all Taiyo Matsumoto recommendations - the detail he puts into the city design is amazing, especially in Tekkonkinkreet.

I watched the first three episodes of Blade of the Immortal and it doesn't live up to the manga at all - which is depressing. I always think it's stupid when the book is drawn beautifully, with great camera angles, and the anime doesn't follow it. It's like, these perfect storyboards all laid out. For shame.

My list, always looking for recommendations.

Trigun

Great Teacher Onizuka

Bad Company

Claymore

Gungrave

Gunslinger Girl

Outlaw Star

Samurai Champloo

Cowboy Bebop

Death Note

Code Geass

Full Metal Alchemist

Full Mettal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Elfen Lied

Onegai Twins

Chobits

FLCL

.hack//sign

Afro Samurai

Samurai 7

Escaflowne

Basilisk

Serial Experiments Lain

Rahxephon

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Gantz

R.O.D. TV

I know there are a bunch more but I can't remember them right now.

My list, always looking for recommendations.

Trigun

Great Teacher Onizuka

Bad Company

Claymore

Gungrave

Gunslinger Girl

Outlaw Star

Samurai Champloo

Cowboy Bebop

Death Note

Code Geass

Full Metal Alchemist

Full Mettal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Elfen Lied

Onegai Twins

Chobits

FLCL

.hack//sign

Afro Samurai

Samurai 7

Escaflowne

Basilisk

Serial Experiments Lain

Rahxephon

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Gantz

R.O.D. TV

I know there are a bunch more but I can't remember them right now.

Definitely check out Darker Than Black if you're looking for a grown-up series that's equal parts action and storytelling. It's not perfect (quality of the arcs are uneven, the last episodes of both seasons leave a lot of loose ends that need tying up) but I really enjoyed it a lot because of the premise and the characters.

If you like Eureka Seven at all I also recommend Xam'd: Lost Memories because of the similarities. It's like Rahxephon to NGE, sort of.

Both are by Bones (FMA: Brotherhood) so you'll know what to expect in terms of production values

gantz has a really interesting premise but the series suffers from horrible pacing (worse than bleach's, which i didn't think was humanly possible)

hunter x hunter is fucking brilliant, like mentioned before, i am so glad it's back from hiatus

fans of 20th century boys should check out pluto, it's not bad

also, does anyone have any suggestions for anime in the same vein as perfect blue and paprika, in terms of art and narrative style? I tried checking out his other work and was horribly disappointed by Millennium Actress

Definitely check out Darker Than Black if you're looking for a grown-up series that's equal parts action and storytelling. It's not perfect (quality of the arcs are uneven, the last episodes of both seasons leave a lot of loose ends that need tying up) but I really enjoyed it a lot because of the premise and the characters.

If you like Eureka Seven at all I also recommend Xam'd: Lost Memories because of the similarities. It's like Rahxephon to NGE, sort of.

Both are by Bones (FMA: Brotherhood) so you'll know what to expect in terms of production values

Started watching xam'd, 16 episodes in, pretty good. Darker than black and eureka seven downloading now too.

I just rewatched Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. freaking amazing.

Finally got around to watching Evangelion 1.01. the new animation is great and im liking how they are reworking the story more..

Gantz has terrible pacing yes, but man the story has picked up so much the last two months. the dude knows how to do a cliff hanger right

eureka 7 was cute as fuck nh :o

i wonder whats gonna happen to bleach after aizen and to naruto after _____

i keep up with the mangas for both but thats about it

kinda wanna get into one piece but theres already a shitload of chapters i gotta catch up on

Oh shit I totally missed a major recommendation. It's a music manga called Piano No Mori. It's not similar to Nodame Cantabile, but in terms of utilizing music as a story telling medium I think Piano No Mori is better.

Actually I just finished Nodame No Cantabile and it's great as well. I'd highly recommend both for sure.