Anime / Manga

englandmj7

no one reads hunter x hunter? i think its probably my favorite right now everything seems so well thought out along with FMA and kinda sorta but not really One piece.

sometimes when i read hunter x hunter or fma i think to myself "pure brilliance"

so glad its back from hiatus

too bad both of your top recommendations only have very infrequent scanlation releases and i agree they are both pretty good. i like the grittiness of Vinland Saga and the esotherical stuff of Vagabond

Ikigami is another great manga for the seinen genre, if you liked that then you will also enjoy Kurosagi.

if you like both of the above then you absolutely must check out Blade of the Immortal. that will toally blow you away. the artwork is similar to Vagabond though maybe not quite as artsy as there is a lot more gore and action/story

Shut Hell is another good action/seinen/genderbender story

Hohzuki Island (horror)

Manhole (horror genre) is really a stunning piece of work

Zetman is just another fighter shonen manga with pretty decent artwork that i can recommend

Kurosagi has been excellent. Really remarkably good. I would recommend it highly to anyone who likes graphic storytelling of any sort. I'm kind of stuck in historic mode, with stuff like Samurai Executioner and Satsuma Gishiden. Kurosagi was very easy to cross into, despite the fact that it's totally unlike what I usually read in manga. edit~ my only gripe is that I'm constantly flipping to the glossary supplement.

if you like history manga then i can also recommend Historie, it's about Eumenes the secretary to Alexander the Great. about how he got into the position of secretary and how he got to know the King of Macedonia and subsequently Alexander.

there aren't that many chapters scanlated yet and the artwork is nothing special, it's still worth reading imo because the whole concept of the manga is just so interesting.

Did anyone read 'Onani Master Kurosawa'?It's been quite a while since I read a whole manga in one go,because I just couldn't stop.

It's starts like some kind of Death Note parody (with fapping instead of killing),but it's definately more of a coming-of-age drama later on.

Anime-wise I really like Durarara!! at the moment.Don't really know where they are going with the story,because there are so many characters and storylines (gang members getting slashed,some headless biker chick,normal high school stuff,weird high school stuff),but it's really compelling.

^^^

Durarara!! is awesome. It doesn't matter where they go with it, as long as Shizuo is throwing shit around Ikebukuro, I'm happy with it.

DURARARARARARARARARARARA!!

if you like history manga then i can also recommend Historie, it's about Eumenes the secretary to Alexander the Great. about how he got into the position of secretary and how he got to know the King of Macedonia and subsequently Alexander.

there aren't that many chapters scanlated yet and the artwork is nothing special, it's still worth reading imo because the whole concept of the manga is just so interesting.

Cool, I'll check it out. Does it bear any similarity to Eagle ie political intrigue? Now that's some good shit too...I've been amassing 27-cent hard-copies off Amazon.

^ well said

Did anyone read 'Onani Master Kurosawa'?It's been quite a while since I read a whole manga in one go,because I just couldn't stop.

It's starts like some kind of Death Note parody (with fapping instead of killing),but it's definately more of a coming-of-age drama later on.

haha this is actually a really good/interesting manga that is really on the weird side. though the ending is really tame and kind of anticlimactic/disappointing. i would have preferred to see the main character drive himself into self destruction rather than pull the holier than though number through repenting for his 'sins'

no one reads hunter x hunter? i think its probably my favorite right now everything seems so well thought out along with FMA and kinda sorta but not really One piece.

sometimes when i read hunter x hunter or fma i think to myself "pure brilliance"

so glad its back from hiatus

really? i think it's one of the most making-up-as-he-goes-along writing... considering how the series started and how it progressed. the greed island arc especially is just hacking it. it's pretty good now though, but considering his hiatus, he better have a well thought out plot.

is anyone reading blade of the immortal (mugen no juunin)? best art, a bit sadistic, but good... ive been reading it since i was a kid... but i have trouble finding up to date translations.

i wish the stupid thing would just end so i could get the whole thing read at once though

Same here, followed and bought the manga all the way up to vol. 15 then lost touch, wanna get back into it (don't have physical copies with me) but online scanlations don't exist (I think) cos it got licensed by Dark Horse ages ago. It was real good though, no idea how it's doing now or if it's even ended yet.

Also, you guys should check out Bakuman, some meta-manga running on Jump about writing mangas for Jump. Currently it's getting boring cos the main protagonists' current manga pitch is lame but the lead up to it is great. Made by the writing/illustrating team from Death Note but with a drastically different style.

Same here, followed and bought the manga all the way up to vol. 15 then lost touch, wanna get back into it (don't have physical copies with me) but online scanlations don't exist (I think) cos it got licensed by Dark Horse ages ago. It was real good though, no idea how it's doing now or if it's even ended yet.

here you go

http://www.mangavolume.com/serie-archive/mangas-blade-of-the-immortal/

though at some point the numbering of the chapters god fucked up and it's kinda hard trying to find out where you left off and where to continue.

dark horse is at vol22 atm. in germany vol25 is supposed to be released sometime in february, i my guess is that it's still ongoing

Yea got to admit it started to get draggy during the middle, but the ending was awesome!

Claymore starts out pretty awesome but starts dragging. Maybe it's just me but eventually there are so many Claymores that look really similar that I completely lost of who people were and what their story was that it became hard to care about the story.

is anyone reading blade of the immortal (mugen no juunin)? best art, a bit sadistic, but good... ive been reading it since i was a kid... but i have trouble finding up to date translations.

i wish the stupid thing would just end so i could get the whole thing read at once though

Yeah, I have up to book 23, it is pretty entertaining.

Other stuff I read:

-Vagabond

-Zetman

-Berserk

-Claymore

-Vinland saga (just started)

-Nana

-Ano ko to issho (my fav right now)

-Sweet blue flower

I usually don't really care about it for a few months then drop by the bookstore to buy the latest (french) issues and then proceed to download the stuff I DL. I think I'll start nodame cantabile soon.

Yeah, I have up to book 23, it is pretty entertaining.

Other stuff I read:

-Vagabond

-Zetman

-Berserk

-Claymore

-Vinland saga (just started)

-Nana

-Ano ko to issho (my fav right now)

-Sweet blue flower

I usually don't really care about it for a few months then drop by the bookstore to buy the latest (french) issues and then proceed to download the stuff I DL. I think I'll start nodame cantabile soon.

You should check out Solanin-- it's sort of a slice of life manga but much more masterfully done than most manga of the same genre and is easy to relate to in many ways. It's also only one volume.

You should check out Solanin-- it's sort of a slice of life manga but much more masterfully done than most manga of the same genre and is easy to relate to in many ways. It's also only one volume.

Thanks for the rec. I read some of these slice of life/urban 20something creative having doubts things that I like, among them indigo blue.