australia :: sydney :: shopping

dumadiscount

Could you guys in Sydney do me a favour?

I've got a survey for the Australian Superfuture contingent, to figure out what you do with your money. I'm not collecting any personal details; no names, emails or IPs, but if you could spare a few minutes to answer some questions about what you wear, I'll slip you some +rep!

Fashion and Shopping Census

Done.

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Yeah I hear this thing about how black suits are against the rules! and I've been told to stick to something like dark charcoal instead as it is dark enough at night to be more formal, and still good for business wear... but i've never heard of this before until recently.

is the difference between a $600 suit alot noticeable from one thats say, $1000? I was thinking of getting one not too expensive but then making it fit me perfectly. Although I am not really experience with how suits are made or quality (e.g fused vs canvased) INCU had a marc jacobs suit on sale for from $1200 to $550 but its gone now.

Superhero, I find charcoal grey to be the most versatile. Lower maintenance than black, but still dark enough to wear to formal events, and goes with a lot more than navy.

Does Incu do Acne suits?

or maybe Filippa K?

This suit is niiiice, I saw it on Tobi on sale, but I wouldn't know how it'd fit. But after close inspection I think a 2 button suit is more versatile eh. I also like the look of a single vent instead of the double vent.

I'm not exactly the average build either everything fits boxy on me except certain designer brands... but most mass market stuff needs to be tailored.

Oh yea and how's herringbone, they're having a sale right now where Mens Wool Suits are $650 (were $995 - $1695).

yeah, a charcoal coloured suit is more business like, I think i just have a predisposition towards black clothing haha. I think a 3 piece suit would be unnecessary, you don't see many people wearing a vest with a suit these days ;).

I've heard good things about the made in Japan range of suits from Herringbone, better quality and slimmer cut than their standard range but a bit more expensive. doubtful that you would get a canvased/half-canvased for anything close to a grand though...

don't bother buying a super cheap suit and then find a tailor to make it better. you're probably just going to waste like 3/4/500 + tailoring and then drop 1k+ later on another suit.

try herringbone. it sounds like a good deal. probably the best one so far, price vs. quality and very close to your budget.

Oh and how about a 3-piece??

I had all my suit tailor in Hong Kong for $1200HKD...3 piece suit as well. The reason why it is so cheap because the old man do it for his hobby, so the quality is pretty good.

I have a cashmere for winter, thinner cotton for summer....charcoal grey (close to black) and grey/shadow stripe.

For the survey-ee's, I'm outta rep for the moment, but I won't forget to fix you guys up asap!

Interesting to see such a diverse range of opinions on the suit colour! Personally, I don't see any faux pas with a black suit, it's all to do with how you carry it, but you have to get friendly with a lint roller pretty often to keep it looking sharp. I find accessorising with a navy suit more challenging for my wardrobe and I find myself wearing it a lot less.

That's what I had in mind for you; decent quality, conservative modern styling. I say get a competent set of measurements done and see if you can find something online to suit. I'm a pretty off-the-rack kind of fit, so I may be a bit biased in this regard ;)

The other advantage to buying a label like Acne over something from a local label is that you won't have much trouble selling it online (Supermarket, eBay etc) later down the track.

I've got a survey for the Australian Superfuture contingent, to figure out what you do with your money. I'm not collecting any personal details; no names, emails or IPs, but if you could spare a few minutes to answer some questions about what you wear, I'll slip you some +rep!

done!

just out of curiousity, is this research for academic purposes, or a business you are running, or some other reason...?

done! would be interesting to see the results actually ;o

umm I dunno about this one, but if you go to country road @ DFO (yea i know its crap) they occasionally have shoes, and i've seen them carry suede desert boots for about $50 and theyre pretty cool. I got some captoes there for $50. If you have a day off with nothing to do it might be worth your while to just have a browse.

^^^ details of tailor? wud recommend? can work off photographs?

Hey mate, I dont think you could find it since I dont really have a address. But I will give my bro a call seeing if he still got the business card. I will have a look as well.

It's in central...his name is Uncle Paul, he basically can do what you tell him to do and he used his 40 years experiences and try to make it as nice as possible in a cheaper price. He speak fluent english but he never graduate from High School, which some how amazing...he does suit for executive and politician.

I gonnna say he takes minium of 2 weeks, btw how long u staying?

Here for 4 plus months, so that should suit fine.

It's a little overwhelming - the number of tailors that is. I've heard of a lot of shoddy work done, but in the same vain I want reasonable prices (peasant/student status). So yeah, recommendations are welcomed!

don't girls just buy them, its not like they are restricted to a suit like men are, they can pretty much buy whatever type of dress they want (within reason) for formal occasions

Some of them hire, because formal wear is pretty hard to take care of, and nothing better than hiring a nice dresss that is take care by a pro?? But then there are numbers of crappy dodgey store out there. Thats just my 2 cent.s.hehe my gf dont go to formal occasion anyways. Well rarely.