australia :: sydney :: shopping

dumadiscount

I think you mean Brent Wilson. That could be an idea actually.

Is Belinda menswear still there? I thought it was closing down.

Brent Wilson is an idea, he makes some decent clothing. I've never looked too closely at his dress shirts though.

I read this article about a decently priced bespoke shirtmaker in the MX paper the other day, see if I can find it for you later.

Belinda menswear is closing down, they only had a small rack of mens clothing left in that tiny shop when I visited a few weeks ago. It's a little sad actually. Least I was able to grab some stuff heavily marked down.

I read this article about a decently priced bespoke shirtmaker in the MX paper the other day, see if I can find it for you later.

i read the same article... about the dude who has been working there for a number of years. and if it's good enough for Billy Conolly it's good enough for me!

seven i still want your dior shirt. gimme gimme

I think Bonds is incredibly over priced.

I'd rather pay the extra $2 for AA.

Superior meterial and construction, and it's not made by a teenager in regional China.

You can get AA for like $7 USD from wholesalers on here.

You can get 10 AAA for $20 USD on eBay. I'm going to order some this week. I'll report back.

Nah dude, AA material is not that good at all. Sizing is inconsistent and the material is a little on the thin side. Bonds does have made in australia shirts as well, depending on the cut etc. Go to the bonds factory outlet and theyre a bit cheaper. $20-30 for AA, retail is a RIPOFF trust me. I have a whole sale acct and the 2001 (basic crew) is like $6 AUD wholesale (if u order a minimum amt)

The only thing AA has going for it is the sweatshop free stuff and the supposed environmental and social benefits. The extent and true value of these positives is definitely unknown, however it is a good step in creating awareness and promoting corporate social responsibility.

I think American Apparel's range has spread out far enough now that you can't write off the whole line too quickly.

I've had to trim enough loose threads to know the construction isn't perfect, but I personally haven't experienced inconsistant sizing within one model. I think people get dissapointed picking sizes over the internet rather than trying them on in stores. The different models are cut for different purposes, some of them extra long, some are unfitted and some are cut tight.

I've had AA tees that I've thrown through the washer and dryer for 2 years now and thier shape and colour is still excellent.

The basic tees come in three 100% cotton fabric weights; fine jersy, sheer jersy and baby rib (plus poly-cotton, flex fleece and tri-blend (polyester, cotton, rayon)) so again, it's about false expectations and buying blind over the internet.

By all means, avoid the retail price gouging, but with persistance I think anyone can find a favorite wardrobe basic in AA's range.

I think American Apparel's range has spread out far enough now that you can't write off the whole line too quickly.

....quote]

You are right in that, some shirts are better than others, for example people tend to prefer the quality of the 50/50 or tri-blend.

They are what they are - midrange quality basics similar to bonds imo.

Just don't fall for the misconception that it is anything other than this.

Maybe in terms of material and QC they are similar to Bonds. Bonds T-shirts are an extremely outdated cut, so if you are tall and thin (most people here) they fit like shit.

Im not saying AA is perfect but I wont touch Bonds t-shirts.

my basic tee's are from saba.

they are amazing.

everyone buy them.

saba is great.

nothing like a free plug, hey

to be honest, saba dress shirts are probably the only Aussie label that fits me straight off the rack.

homme.homme, I'm after the plain white dress shirt (in xs) from this season. is it still available because its sold out in the city store?

lol homme.homme just so happens you work for saba aint that right?

how much do the saba tees run?

also Nlim3482: i assume you are tall and have a slim build right? if so i think morrissey also fits quite well, and they even have long sleeve lengths as standard!

Has anyone looked at Herringbone dress shirts? I've seen them in stores but have never tried them on. The material looks so awesome however im not sure of the fit. Anyone able to tell me about it?

www.herringbone.com.au

haha yeah i work for saba. The pima tee's are $49 from memory. There is always black, white and grey marle in stores and then there is usually a monthly colour or stripe or both and that might be $10 more i dont remember. Fit is slim.

I have one herringbone french cuff shirt. The cut is pretty good but I'm not big on french cuff so i dont wear it that often. They have different fits - there are fewer options on the slim fit. Well at least there was when i bought one there last. This time last year maybe.

Farage do great shirts as well. Equal or better quality then herringbone and made in Australia. Herringbone is made in asia.

I have a few Herringbone dress shirts. The regular fit is a tent, and I'm relatively broad. I find the slim fit great for the office. Construction and fabric is impecable. They are made in Pakistan, but they do provide a bespoke service which is made locally.

I think their suits are the best value available locally. They are on par with Zenga, Paul Smith et al in terms of fabric and construction, but are half the price. I prefer their classic pinch-waisted slimmer cut above all available locally. The detailing really seperate sthem from the rest; two button, top stiched notched lapel, side vents etc.

Farage are also very nice. I dislike the designers aesthic though. Their seasonal items are very trend orriented, but their staples are great.

I'm not that tall actually, about 5'11 ish but typical asian slim built. I haven't checked out Morrissey but I'm finding it impossible for any of the Aussie labels to have a basic slim white shirt that fits me well, Saba is probably the closest though.

I've owned a few Herringbone shirts but I'm with corey, the regular fits are way too boxy but even the slim fits fit like a regular fit on me. For the price, I don't think the material/construction is worth $200.

Personally, in terms of suits, I've found Calibre to be the best fitting off the rack...the jacket hugs the shoulders and defines the chest. Their 'rockstar' cut is probably the closest you can get to a slim Dior Homme silhouette.

ok so I'm having trouble finding plain slim fit dress shirts in Sydney. I tried on some Morrissey shirts - shoulder and chest fitted quite well (slimmer than say Saba) but you need some long gorilla arms to make it work. I don't want to have to take a shirt to a tailor to get them altered for $20 when they should fit off the rack. I have the same problem with Calibre as well

I've found that Saba sizing this season is different to last year. I have a few shirts in SS from last year and they are probably my best fitting shirts that I own but I tried on one today and its seems like they now fit larger around the chest and arms.

I'm a typical slim asian build of average height, and I know there might be a few of you out there with the same dillemma, so what labels would you recommend and where should I look? I would prefer to be able to try the shirt on in-store rather than purchasing over the internet.