australia :: sydney :: shopping

dumadiscount

rent: do you want a studio to yourself or share? a studio on the city fringe is upwards from approx $280 p/week - be warned that finding rental properties in sydney is extremely hard at the moment. you could get share accomodation for around $150 p/week or less if you look hard enough.

car: you shouldnt need one unless you want to regularly get out of the city and explore up and down the coast - even then you should be ok with train. i dont have a car and get by quite easily.

job market: hugely dependant on what you're looking for although you will be able to get a casual job very easily to give you an income while you are looking for something full time.

renting around the city and adjacent suburbs is quite tough at the moment - vacancy is low and rents are high, be prepared to pay upwards of $400 for studios in the city and $300-400 for suburbs within 15min of the city. Personally, once you live close to the city its kinda hard to move back to the suburbs but you pay a premium for the convenience.

No real reason to purchase a car (again dependent on where you live in Sydney), you can scrape by on public transport. Most of the places you would want to visit in Sydney are easily accessible by bus/train. Having said that, our public transport system isn't completely reliable.

As for jobs - depends on the industry but the job market has been quite buoyant this year beside anything in finance which is getting a battering at the moment. I think working holiday visas only allow you to work 6 months maximum at a single place before you have to find a different place. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest Montreal

You charge rent by the week? Interesting.

And I'm a finance graduate, sadly.

Not looking for career work, however. Just trying to experience something new.

Thanks for the replies.

Any suburbs or areas I should look at?

You charge rent by the week? Interesting.

And I'm a finance graduate, sadly.

Not looking for career work, however. Just trying to experience something new.

Thanks for the replies.

Any suburbs or areas I should look at?

'Weekly' is just the rate, you still pay rent by the month. Usually it's weekly rate X 52 / 12 for your monthly.

Just read this, can try Alexandria, Newtown, Pyrmont.

dear sydney supergays,

i bought a pair of lace ups in "black" but i reckon the fellas at revolve forgot to check that the shoes inside the box were in fact not black at all :(

VhO-OE931D4

anyhow i don't want to bomb an extra $80 just to get the item exchanged and sent back to me.

should i attempt to dye it black or just deal with it?

cheers,

ocean

Uniqlo does dress/suit pants, you dont need chino's, they're made from tasmanian wool and are fairly slim. you might try top man as well.

Cheers. Will probably get Hide to purchase these for me. Have you bought these yourself? Do you have the link on the uniqlo site to the particular pair?

dear sydney supergays,

i bought a pair of lace ups in "black" but i reckon the fellas at revolve forgot to check that the shoes inside the box were in fact not black at all :(

VhO-OE931D4

anyhow i don't want to bomb an extra $80 just to get the item exchanged and sent back to me.

should i attempt to dye it black or just deal with it?

cheers,

ocean

Hey revolve has free returns, especially since it was their mistake, email them, and then they'll reimburse you.

Hey revolve has free returns, especially since it was their mistake, email them, and then they'll reimburse you.

cheers brah, i've just sent them an email. i'm not too hopeful about it though as i've checked the site again and the shoes are no longer listed..

i might as well start gettin used to the brown.. could use for a casual look since boat shoes as no-no :P

I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Currently I am living in Vancouver and I desperately need a change of scenery. I have heard nothing but good things about Sydney, and since it is so similar to Vancouver (in terms of aesthetics), it seems like a natural choice.

I was wondering how much I should be expecting to pay for rent (for a decent place downtown)? Do I need a car in Sydney? What is the economy/job market like? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Part of me just wants to pack a suitcase and move over there ASAP, but the other part of me wants to think this through.

Cheers!

hey if you live in Vancouver why is your nickname Montreal?

yeh man do it!

renting around the city and adjacent suburbs is quite tough at the moment - vacancy is low and rents are high, be prepared to pay upwards of $400 for studios in the city and $300-400 for suburbs within 15min of the city. Personally, once you live close to the city its kinda hard to move back to the suburbs but you pay a premium for the convenience.

are you talking sydney cbd for 400 buck rent?

i was planning on moving to the city (paddington or somewhere pretty close) for 300ish

do you reckon ill have any luck finding somewhere decent

OUR SPOT ONLINE STORE

Our Spot is pleased to announce the new online store.

Available to browse and buy are selected items from Common Projects,

United Bamboo and Nom De Guerre. More labels will be available over the next coming

weeks as the new season collections arrive.

As you'll notice there have been some minor changes to the Our Spot site & we are currently

changing the way we communicate with you through emails. We invite you to re join the Our Spot mailing list

through the subscribe link on the website. You'll receive regular updates on stock arrivals,

invitations to preview sales & V.I.P events.

We hope you like the new site and online store please visit http://ourspot.com.au/index.php to view.

Other store news there have been a few new arrivals this week. Jazz shoes from Kathryn Wilson,

plus the final delivery from A.P.C current collection - Pea Coats, Zip Bombers & Cashmere Sweaters.

Our Spot

Shop 1

220 Liverpool Street Darlinghurst NSW 2010

61 2 8354 0300

www.ourspot.com.au