italo disco

Guest jmatsu

i suppose giorgio moroder is proto-italo-disco, but i'm a big fan of his...

from here to eternity is a great record, but i don't think he made that in italy

he made it in america.

the music of his top gun soundtrack were actually good.

you might like cerrone (if you already don't).

what about the new revival shit? any suggestions or likes???

Interesting stuff. I always liked Gazebo's "I like Chopin". I'm not a "fan" of the genre, but I find it an interesting cultural artifact.

the gazebo i have heard i generally liked.

here's my contribution-

shadorecords.com (the old stuff is lounge/pop, while the new shit is italo disco/no wave)

vivaitalians.blogspot.com (great new/old disco/italo-disco blog)

bumrocks.com (free mp3's galore, but not always italo disco)

*v/a "confused disco" on irma records (yes THAT irma records) is a great place to start.

MINYA can you recommend a good starter releasefor the label you mentioned?

also has cosmos record started to carry italo disco/electro instead of their usual nu-jazz/latin/house (i haven't been there in years.)?

MINYA can you recommend a good starter release the label you mentioned?

also has cosmos record started to carry italo disco/electro instead of their usual nu-jazz/latin/house (i haven't been there in years.)?

Thanks for the blog links...

I do, actually... Anders Lundqvist: "Mission to Mars" (might be a little off on the album name..) -- it's one of the most incredible things I've ever heard. Imagine '80s movie montage music, in space, for an entire CD. That's what the album is. It's fucking great.

Thanks for the blog links...

I do, actually... Anders Lundqvist: "Mission to Mars" (might be a little off on the album name..) -- it's one of the most incredible things I've ever heard. Imagine '80s movie montage music, in space, for an entire CD. That's what the album is. It's fucking great.

thanks.

here's some comedy (derails thread):

http://postpunkjunk.com/index.php?paged=2

look for dee dee ramone's rap songs.

i just recently started getting really, really, really into italo disco and other variations of spaced-out, all-digital disco-influenced electronic music.

vivaitalians is great, i hope they continue to do what they're doing... it will be interesting to see if they evolve into a full-fledged label or stay very, very small.

i didnt realize shado records had taken this direction, thanks a lot for updating me.

everyone should check out Rub n' Tug's Better With A Spoonful Leather mix, as there is a shit ton of great italo and italo-inspired tracks on it.

Edit: i've also recently started working on some italo-derived songs in my cruddy little home studio set up... we'll see what turns out. perhaps i could revive the record label i was running a few years ago...

i just recently started getting really, really, really into italo disco and other variations of spaced-out, all-digital disco-influenced electronic music.

vivaitalians is great, i hope they continue to do what they're doing... it will be interesting to see if they evolve into a full-fledged label or stay very, very small.

i didnt realize shado records had taken this direction, thanks a lot for updating me.

everyone should check out Rub n' Tug's Better With A Spoonful Leather mix, as there is a shit ton of great italo and italo-inspired tracks on it.

Edit: i've also recently started working on some italo-derived songs in my cruddy little home studio set up... we'll see what turns out. perhaps i could revive the record label i was running a few years ago...

hey post your shit!! i can't recall if i heard that rubntug remix.

onemancult, i assume you love eskimo records as well??? for shado, dj spectra's productions as all pretty much top notch. more electro then italo disco though.

sometimes i really can't decide whether some new shit is minimal house/italo/ or just electro. how do you make the distinction?

hey post your shit!! i can't recall if i heard that rubntug remix.

onemancult, i assume you love eskimo records as well??? for shado, dj spectra's productions as all pretty much top notch. more electro then italo disco though.

sometimes i really can't decide whether some new shit is minimal house/italo/ or just electro. how do you make the distinction?

i'll post something once i've turned out something worth listening to... i've had a bit

of a hard time settling down to work on the tunes with school starting up this week.

eskimo's output is consistently pleasing to check out, though not always spot-on.

just that my personal taste leans towards the darker, spacier stuff- have you had the chance to check out the Black Devil Disco Club? the project's experienced a fair share of blogfame recently, so you may have heard of it. if not, find it NOW!

the way i've always reasoned things out is that the current electro is derivative of a lot of the preceding italo disco sound. as such, there is tons of overlap- you may be familiar with the 2001 Mixed Up In the Hague release put out by I-F which was a full on italo vs. electro mix that was kind of key to the re-introduction and popularization of the italo sound. when it comes to making a clear distinction, i think it is sort of impossible- it depends far too much on the mood of the music, the context of the release, etc. all i can say for sure is that if there's even a trace of any analog synthesizers, it ain't italo.

speaking of the whole electro/italo overlap, are you into any Creme Organization stuff?

Edit: if you'd like it, i can send you the Rub N' Tug mix as a zip file.

Jean-Marc Cerrone is actually French and has produced most of his significant stuff in his native country.

no shit, but there is no such genre-terminology as franco-disco.

i'll post something once i've turned out something worth listening to... i've had a bit

of a hard time settling down to work on the tunes with school starting up this week.

eskimo's output is consistently pleasing to check out, though not always spot-on.

just that my personal taste leans towards the darker, spacier stuff- have you had the chance to check out the Black Devil Disco Club?i'll find it. the project's experienced a fair share of blogfame recently, so you may have heard of it. if not, find it NOW! may i suggest the lowbrows from tokyo (mor justice/electro sounding though).

black devil disco club? can't say that i have. recently been listening hardcore to the david gilmour girls. obviously gomma has been on heavy rotation.

i like creme organization, but don't own anything by them.

the mix cd that was sold at aNYthing was the one i'm talking about, i'm almost positive.

definitely check out Black Devil Disco Club whenever you have the chance:

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=23883

i just realized that i have "constantly no respect" on my comp. i will probably pick this up though. thanks!!

did you get the david gilmour girls? if not i highly recommend them and could send you some mp3s.

when i was growning up my dad played alot of 80s euro dance, new wave, and italo disco. I''m always into that kind of sound now that I''m older. Recently I found out about Sally Shapiro album''s Disco Romance. She''s getting alot of great reviews.

www.myspace.com/shapirosally

listen to ""I''ll be by your side"" and ""I know""

also check out jay jay johanson''s rush. It''s not exactly italo disco but he writes some nice retro 80s synthpop, some daft punk influenced.

when i was growning up my dad played alot of 80s euro dance, new wave, and italo disco. I''m always into that kind of sound now that I''m older. Recently I found out about Sally Shapiro album''s Disco Romance. She''s getting alot of great reviews.

www.myspace.com/shapirosally

listen to ""I''ll be by your side"" and ""I know""

also check out jay jay johanson''s rush. It''s not exactly italo disco but he writes some nice retro 80s synthpop, some daft punk influenced.

yeah i listen to sally shapiro sometimes. i know it is a lazy comparison, but she reminds me of a less rocking/more sunshine italo annie. some of her shit is pretty good. i like "sleep in my arms" though it borderline ambient. i guess "i know" would have to be my favorite.

• 6 months later...
Guest jmatsu
this needs a bump.

any sabrina fans???

thanks for bumping this. i had forgotten about is.

any abrina? from what i've heard, i've generally liked.

yo i don't care what keagan says. the sorcerer album is great!