OiNK

Servo2000

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From OiNK FAQ:

I used to have an account and now it's gone. What happened?

Inactive accounts (that is, accounts where you don't use the web site for six weeks in a row) are automatically deleted. They are deleted, not disabled, and there's no way to get them back. The only exceptions to this rule are donors and those who've achieved Power User+ status. Those accounts will never be deleted for inactivity. We don't have a "park" feature for accounts as all that's needed to reset the inactivity timer is to browse one page while logged in to the site.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone help me out a bit? Thanks for the PMs on invites--I was all sorted out.

I'm trying to get my seed on... but I can't seed for the life of me--NAT and all the port forwarding is checked. Using a powerbook OS X 10.4, azureus (which I hate), and airport express. All taken care of.

Am I just using overseeded torrents? Any tips of finding a good few torrents to seed on? It's never this slow/inconsistent with regular torrents from public spots. :/

my top 5 torrents with the highest share ratio (excluding ones i uploaded):

1. neil young-tonights the night. 4.002

2. pixies- surfer rosa. 1.432

3. common- ressurection (instrumentals). 1.255

4. iggy & the stooges- raw power. 1.097

5. pixies- doolittle. 1.038

and out of those, tonights the night is the newest seed. so i guess its a goldmine.

check the new indie albums that come out and just download them

also check pitchfork and see if they give some wierd album a good review

and download it

search "2007" on oink as much as you go on sufu and download any albums that are

a lot more active than the others ( you can see from the arrows and the + signs)

its good to start off downloading just albums, but once you get a good ratio

download the huge apps and instructional vids for maximum damage

goodluck!

Some more tips:

Find an application or album that hasn't been uploaded yet. Creating torrents is the easiest way to improve your ratio. Windows server operating systems are my personal favorites, because they're usually spanning multiple CDs = many GBs.

Also, many of the more obscure titles are often automatically deleted when they haven't been leeched/seeded for a period of time. Keep an eye on the OiNK logs to keep an eye on which entries are deleted from the database and re-upload them.

Also check your music collection - there's usually something that's not on OiNK yet that you can upload both in lossless and as MP3.

Last but not least.. OiNK has a busy forum with loads of helpful users. Try browsing through there for more tips.

yeah, i found the hosts file but it's 'read only' and textedit attempts to save and overwrite it but can't.

edit: okay i think i figured it out via apple support documents but i'd rather just wait it out until oink fixes the dns problem so i don't have to mess around so much with my system. if any mac users are feeling adventurous i can point you in the right direction.

thanks for helping but that's not really applicable. to edit the hosts file on tiger you have to enable the "root" user. it's basically a step above the admin account in that the root user can edit all system files. i'd rather be oinkless for a little while longer then mess with this stuff.

oink.me.uk -> [highlight]oink.cd[/highlight]

Because of the recent DNS issues, and the undesirable solution to fix them, we are changing the site's name from OiNK.me.uk to OiNK.cd.

The OiNK.me.uk domain will soon cease to function, and a full changeover will happen shortly. Please update your bookmarks.

Please also re-download any torrents you may have in your clients in order to update the tracker address. Torrents downloaded from now on will contain 2 tracker addresses, the new OiNK.cd domain, and the tracker's IP address, which should make any future DNS issues less serious. They will also contain the site's IP address in the torrent comment field, in case of future problems. If you have applied the hosts file fix, you won't need to re-download the torrents.

Sorry about the inconvenience, but we deem the name change necessary for the continuation of the site.