party kids / scenesters? hipsters? rich kids?

lilfan

well i think the kids in la might be a bit richer. that kennedy girl has got to be rich, but you'd think her parents would have something to say.

a friend took me to one of a-ron's parties in august in manhattan, and I'm not old, but I was surprised to see how many kids were hanging out in this bar type place.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

august... where was it at?

a lot of the teenagers i've met via aNYthing related events are either A. genuine street kids or B. the children of NY's cultural elite. i can stand them a little bit more than i can stand trust-fund babies from out of town and the children of LA's cultural elite.

haha, was that 205 chrystie.

i think its not necesarily whether you look in a certain way but whether you have anything to say. i agree that there are a lot of people out there that look alike. but it's the same thing as when you go to the huge clubs on the westside of manhattan. the reason why all the parties like misshapes are popular is because theyre not focused on showing off wealth and how many bottles you got at your table. people come and have a good time without having to deal with being called gay for wearing tight jeans or having to fight coked up stock brokers from hoboken.

okay, i get what you mean from that standpoint, then.

every different sector of nightlife places importance upon fitting into a particular mold; misshapes, 205, and others are definitely more forgiving than say, Pacha or Crobar.

so, you won't have to fight coked up stockbrokers from new york, new jersey. but you might have to fight coked up male models. same difference, kind of.

I honestly don't even know why we are celebrating these people by calling them hipsters. Sure some of them are good musicians and DJs, but the rest of them are literally wearing rags and look like shit. If wearing those clothes, hanging out with Lindsay Lohan and doing coke is considered hip then every single member of this fashion forum is now officially unfashionable. Congrats gentlemen (and ladies).

Oh and as for Mr. Aoki. The guy is talentless. The only reason he even owns a record label is because his dad founded Benihana.

you're right. all people are the same. everyone is looking to identify with someone. what are gonna do? stop going out?

complain about it online?

haha, no, i'm just trying to get at the fact that as much as things are totally different between an LES dive and a Chelsea bottle service megaclub, things are totally and fundamentally the same.

that doesn't mean you don't go out, it just means you're aware of the fact that it's

just going out: to a lot of people, it becomes some all-consuming bullshit. like, there really isn't a need to try to get your picture taken and posted to lastnightsparty as much as possible unless you don't have anything else going on in your life.

haha, was that 205 chrystie.

i think its not necesarily whether you look in a certain way but whether you have anything to say. i agree that there are a lot of people out there that look alike. but it's the same thing as when you go to the huge clubs on the westside of manhattan. the reason why all the parties like misshapes are popular is because theyre not focused on showing off wealth and how many bottles you got at your table. people come and have a good time without having to deal with being called gay for wearing tight jeans or having to fight coked up stock brokers from hoboken.

Haha. God ain't that the damn truth. Can anyone say Marquee?

Misshapes was so much fun the time I went last year! Sadly people in investment banking don't know how to party when status doesn't mean shit...

Crobar was an utter sea of striped shirts, bootcut jeans, and American-jackass types...

Is it wrong to say that I actually dig that rosary? Looking like Number Nine right there, somebody hook me up.

If I ever find my way to New York, (like, say, in 2 years for college. Or Rhode Island, technically, hopefully?) I'm calling up OMC and we're going to listen to "expiremental" music and talk about jeans.

Is it wrong to say that I actually dig that rosary? Looking like Number Nine right there, somebody hook me up.

If I ever find my way to New York, (like, say, in 2 years for college. Or Rhode Island, technically, hopefully?) I'm calling up OMC and we're going to listen to "expiremental" music and talk about jeans.

if you're in rhode island there's nothing there but great italian deli's and awesome hot dogs, just warning you, lived there for 7 years...

I used hang with this kid was into the whole LES/Williamsburg/Hipster Party scene, I went to some of the events and its too much for me. Its the same people at any given event and most of them arent great people. Few good people I've met but it gets dull after a while, I need a new scene in New York. The whole hipster scene revolves around excessiveness.

if you're in rhode island there's nothing there but great italian deli's and awesome hot dogs, just warning you, lived there for 7 years...

This is partially true. Parts of Providence, Olneyville, for one, have been happening and are still happening. That is if you're into the whole noise rock/ no wave/ punk scene and the RISD spin off art culture. AS220, Armageddon Shop, and the Providence666 collective have been really good about driving forward following the Fort's demise. There is something to do every weekend. This might not be enought for some people, and there's not much else, but I'd contend to say that there's more to Providence than Italian Deli's and hot dogs. The rest of RI is debatable.

This is partially true. Parts of Providence, Olneyville, for one, have been happening and are still happening. That is if you're into the whole noise rock/ no wave/ punk scene and the RISD spin off art culture. AS220, Armageddon Shop, and the Providence666 collective have been really good about driving forward following the Fort's demise. There is something to do every weekend. This might not be enought for some people, and there's not much else, but I'd contend to say that there's more to Providence than Italian Deli's and hot dogs. The rest of RI is debatable.

the whole providence scene is based on ego baiting and really stupid elitism. it's cool for a while finding new bands at new places, but c'mon, AS220's a fucking joke where wannabe RISD artists pretend to do stuff, I had a friend who had a residency there a few years back and said the people there were completely laughable. I understand what you're saying, there is stuff going on, but the whole "hipper than thou" attitude that rules the scene gets really annoying after 7 years and I really could give 2 shits less if you were hanging out with Brian Chippendale after the Lightning Bolt show at the armpit warehouse next to the beehive down 144. I think you get my point....

Crobar was an utter sea of striped shirts, bootcut jeans, and American-jackass types...

That sounds like Opium/Prive down in Miami when i went there Christmas eve for their annual jewish party...but other than the sartorial aspect, most of the people i met down there seemed chill enough and i felt pretty at home partying there. *shrugs*