what are you watching today?

red

Running Out of Time

Decent, but cheesy at times.

Anyone recommend any other stuff like this?

Lau Ching Wan is my nigga

paging Landho.

I actually liked Running Out of Time a lot. It's a little melodramatic at times, but Hong Kong action movies and thrillers usually feature intense emotional moments that seem hyperbolic, but really they just match the intensity of everything that's going on around them.

I've watched a lot of Johnnie To films in the past year, and I've become convinced that he's one of the best directors making movies today. (FTB, pbuh, is from Hong Kong and disagrees, but even he fell in love with To's latest film, Sparrow.) Stephen Teo, a film critic who has written extensively on Wong Kar-wai, King Hu, and Asian film in general, wrote that Johnnie To is "the most distinctive and innovative director in Hong Kong cinema today." I generally felt that he was an excellent genre director but that overall his oeuvre was good but not great. (A lot of his films from the late 90s and early 2000s [Running Out of Time was made in 1999] have brilliant moments but then some ridiculous or even silly parts--Fulltime Killer is an excellent example.) I've since changed my mind.

I think Election 2, Mad Detective, and Sparrow are among the best movies made this decade, Election 2 and Sparrow especially. Election 2 may in fact be the best crime thriller I have ever seen.

Other than those three, I think just about any Johnnie To film is worth watching. Election is a fine gangster movie that almost certainly bears watching if you're going watch Election 2. The Mission, Fulltime Killer, PTU, and Exiled are all really good. Many critics have written that Johnnie To assumed the mantel of John Woo, but that's not entirely true; that era of Hong Kong action movie has passed. But Johnnie To's body of work is definitely worth exploring, and recently he has begun transcending his genre.

Among the best movies generally or for HK action specifically?

I think Election 2 and Sparrow deserve mention and discussion as among the best films made this decade, regardless of genre or place of origin. The former is one of the best crime thrillers I have ever seen, and the latter is a masterpiece in miniature.