Some of the oldest Levis...

mopar_jj

Don't believe the first pair are Levi's. There's no evidence to link them with the company, or with Jacob Davis at all, and they bear far more resemblance to early Boss Of The Road jeans than the earliest known Levi's.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=19566&page=2

the back pocket on the first one seems disproportionate, does vintage levi's suffer from that lack of uniformity between the pocket patterns in each pair of jeans?

in fact alot about the yoke, etc seem to be different from your average 4 pocket stuff.

They're completely different from Levi's. The pockets sit on the back yoke, as do Boss Of The Road. And they're a felled edge seam, again more like BOTR and unlike Levi's. there's no reason at all why those jeans have any connections with Levi's. The sellers have 'assumed' they have, because they have the arcuate - which is always ossocaited with Levi's - on the back pocket. In fact, it's possible that other manufacturers had a back pocket arcuate before Levi's did...

I would have thgoutht the seller were being optimistic, rather than misleading. But I emailed them asking a couple of specifics and they didn't list their response, where they couldn't come up with any evidence to link the jeans with Levi's. So I think they're being a little naughty... early BOTR, by the way, might be worth $3,000, whereas the real thing would be over 10 times that amount.

Erm WOW is all I can say...

the second pair... Cultizim asked for suggestions of what we should repro for a potential SF exclusive... could this be a cool option??!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290065211527&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RUPX_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=290065223376&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=UpSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

They're completely different from Levi's. The pockets sit on the back yoke, as do Boss Of The Road. And they're a felled edge seam, again more like BOTR and unlike Levi's. there's no reason at all why those jeans have any connections with Levi's. The sellers have 'assumed' they have, because they have the arcuate - which is always ossocaited with Levi's - on the back pocket. In fact, it's possible that other manufacturers had a back pocket arcuate before Levi's did...

I would have thgoutht the seller were being optimistic, rather than misleading. But I emailed them asking a couple of specifics and they didn't list their response, where they couldn't come up with any evidence to link the jeans with Levi's. So I think they're being a little naughty... early BOTR, by the way, might be worth $3,000, whereas the real thing would be over 10 times that amount.

a little naughty...a little understatement there Paul? ;)

yeah what's interesting is that while that arcuate was never solely associated with levi's, it's become such a massive trademark today, protected and copied so heavily: the sugar cane case is evidence of the former, and thai fakes the latter.

good point about the felled edge seam in relation to BOTR, something to remember.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/frisbee/419331/1769105/

it is a reproduction of the oldest levi's known i existence

the birth of the blue jeans was 1873

the most old+popular jeans are the nevada from around 1880 - this one is older

i love the style of this 1800's models ! one pocket,buckleback,suspender buttons, etc....

No it is not. THe oldest jeans that Levi's own are the Nevada jeans, which have the pliers poclet. THese are n 'imaginative reconstruction' of that, and certainly aren't of an older design - things like the watch pockets, and the lack of a pliers pocket, are taken from later models. Really, they're more of a loose 1890s replica...

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/frisbee/419331/1769105/

it is a reproduction of the oldest levi's known i existence

the birth of the blue jeans was 1873

the most old+popular jeans are the nevada from around 1880 - this one is older

i love the style of this 1800's models ! one pocket,buckleback,suspender buttons, etc....

Mike I love my 1886s from 05

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=15588

They are at 5 months now with almost constant wear and look AWESOME.

No it is not. THe oldest jeans that Levi's own are the Nevada jeans, which have the pliers poclet. THese are n 'imaginative reconstruction' of that, and certainly aren't of an older design - things like the watch pockets, and the lack of a pliers pocket, are taken from later models. Really, they're more of a loose 1890s replica...

thank you!

this is new for me

i have ordered your book :+)

i had a nevada last year and i like the arcuate ! now i have a 1886 cra with the same style of stiching - i love it ! it's a good nevada alternative

the patch was in the middle up to 1890 and than on the right side ?

the 1879 has the patch on the right side... ?

do you have pics from the calico-jean ? which year it is ?

regards

thank you!

this is new for me

i had a nevada last year and i like the arcuate ! now i have a 1886 cra with the same style of stiching - i love it ! it's a good nevada alternative

regards

Mike I was lucky to find a raw pair NWT of 1886s. I've come to find they are very rare raw but I agree that they are very nice indeed. Did you see the photos?

sure ! your 1886's are very great ! i know i'm a loser ... i also like the "washed" jeans

the bunkhouse is my fav. for this year

wear your 1886's 20 years and they look better with every year - they are hard to find i know!

my dream is a vintage pair of levi's from before 1900 ......... ;+(

my oldest pair is from 1930's with buckleback - i love + wear it !!!!!!!!!!!

thank you!

this is new for me

regards

Thanks for the order!

The Lev's patch was indeed placede centrally, then moved to the side, maybe around 1886. It changed to the two-horse design around the same time, but at the moment nobody knows which change predated the other - hence, LVC replicas between 1880s and 1890s are guesses.

The cotton duck jeans are thought to predate the Nevadas, but I don't believe anyone's certain about this. They're being reissued this year, in Europe at least, so I personally hope a decent Nevada reissue might follow. LVC have never produced a dry version of the Nevada jean - bizarre, considering they've done the cotton duck version.

Interesting summary of LVC jeans (most of them LVC Japan ones...)

http://store.yahoo.co.jp/levis/history3.html

sure ! your 1886's are very great ! i know i'm a loser ... i also like the "washed" jeans

the bunkhouse is my fav. for this year

wear your 1886's 20 years and they look better with every year - they are hard to find i know!

my dream is a vintage pair of levi's from before 1900 ......... ;+(

my oldest pair is from 1930's with buckleback - i love + wear it !!!!!!!!!!!

Nah your not a loser. Just like'm another way thats all. Thats totally cool. Good to see someone else round these here parts that like older Levis. They didn't make many bunkhouse LVCs in larger sizes anyway all the ones I saw were smaller. They looked GREAT. I usually search out raw but I was actually talking to Dejan about a pair of bunkhouses. Those were repros of the 1906 501 right?

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone notice the buyer pulled out of the sale for the $10,000 "levi's"?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290065223376&rd=1&rd=1

Maybe Levi's threatened to slap an injunction on their ass for passing off...

Probably because of this statement by the seller. (emphasis on the Lynn Downey part):

"Hello, thank you for your interest. Prior to Levi's patent, Jacob Davis tailored jeans and none of those jeans would've had Levi stamps. Notice that the arch is very like a Levi's arch not a modified or exaggerated arch which I have seen on one pocket jeans. I don't profess to be an expert or a historian but Lynn Downey examined these photos and could not say yea or nay, due to the lack of historical record. In my near 20 year addiction to vintage denim I have seen the variation in stitching that you refer to and am personally convinced. Good bidding!"

Thanks for the order!

The Lev's patch was indeed placede centrally, then moved to the side, maybe around 1886. It changed to the two-horse design around the same time, but at the moment nobody knows which change predated the other - hence, LVC replicas between 1880s and 1890s are guesses.

The cotton duck jeans are thought to predate the Nevadas, but I don't believe anyone's certain about this. They're being reissued this year, in Europe at least, so I personally hope a decent Nevada reissue might follow. LVC have never produced a dry version of the Nevada jean - bizarre, considering they've done the cotton duck version.

Interesting summary of LVC jeans (most of them LVC Japan ones...)

http://store.yahoo.co.jp/levis/history3.html

Those Japanese 1886s are sure different than my US 1886s from fall 05.

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg