Tailoring Jeans ?

xcrskim

i have a couple pairs of jeans that need to be tailored.

the cuffs/bottom opening have to be made smaller in circumference and

the waist has to be altered(made smaller, from a 36 to a 32).

should i just go to any dry cleaner and have them do it for me ?

PROS and CONS?

the jeans are very expensive evisu jeans.

thanks in advance.

Tapering the legs shouldn't be a problem but the fading on your creases and on the edges of the denim wont line up right.

Taking the waist in as a whole other story. Let dry cleaners do what they do best... Clean. Take your Evisus to a tailor or an alterations place. It'll cost more but they'll be in better hands.

no...dont take it to a dry cleaner...hell no.

i mean those people that do altering/repairs at dry cleaners know little to none about jeans. middle aged men and women goto Dry Cleaners cuz they dont give a ass about their clothes or something but if you really care about your jeans, take them to a legit tailor and have them do it for u properly with the right measurements and such.

another method you might consider is to sell your evisus, then buy a pair that's a lot closer to what you're looking for.

it's a lot of trouble to get your jeans tailored the way you really want and it could cost you quite a bit while you're doing it. plus, the risk is pretty high. if the tailor messes is up for you, you could be royally screwed.

I am also interested in how possible jean alteration is, since i really would like my sugarcane 47's to be made slimmer and lower rise. I don't want to just buy new ones because mine have arctuates and red tabs, which i like a lot. How possible is it to just slim the legs and lower the back rise?

I am also interested in how possible jean alteration is, since i really would like my sugarcane 47's to be made slimmer and lower rise. I don't want to just buy new ones because mine have arctuates and red tabs, which i like a lot. How possible is it to just slim the legs and lower the back rise?

They can take in the outer and inner inseams. Just ask the tailors and they can show you how they'll take it in.

i have a couple pairs of jeans that need to be tailored.

the cuffs/bottom opening have to be made smaller in circumference and

the waist has to be altered(made smaller, from a 36 to a 32).

should i just go to any dry cleaner and have them do it for me ?

PROS and CONS?

the jeans are very expensive evisu jeans.

thanks in advance.

Unless they have sentimental value, sell them and buy others. A great many of the proportions in pants are based on the waist/hip size and 4" is not a minor adjustment.

• 7 months later...
no...dont take it to a dry cleaner...hell no.

i mean those people that do altering/repairs at dry cleaners know little to none about jeans. middle aged men and women goto Dry Cleaners cuz they dont give a ass about their clothes or something but if you really care about your jeans, take them to a legit tailor and have them do it for u properly with the right measurements and such.

i agree with this.

but maybe somewhere there is a drycleaner that knows a thing or two about denim......but to find that one is one in a million....

You are asking for major alterations. Do not take these to a dry cleaners, typically they do not know much/if anything about altering jeans. Take them to a professional tailor and be amazed by the absurd cost of altering a waist and legs. Tailors seldom ever have the same exact heavy stiching machine that are used on jeans. So you will have the legs single stiched instead of the nice double stich (cross stich?) that your Evisu's currently have. Save yourself all of this trouble and cut your losses by selling your jeans and buying ones in your size.

I have done the exact thing that you are asking about and it was really a complete waste of money. Please feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

It can be done, it doesn't take special machines as much as it requires knowledge. However, if he doesn't have the right machines.... not sure what kind of stitching your Evisu's have, he can't do it either. You have to use a competent tailor. Anybody can fix the hems, but the waist adjustment will be more challenging. By the time you checked out a couple tailors, and paid for it, maybe you'll wish you bought new pants.

Your best option may be to visit Chuck's Vintage or Dr. Blue Jeans in Van Nuys. If you can't go there, you could ship your jeans. Just talk to the guys on the phone first and then right down and include with your jeans the measurements of the adjustments you want made.

It can be done, it doesn't take special machines as much as it requires knowledge. However, if he doesn't have the right machines.... not sure what kind of stitching your Evisu's have, he can't do it either. You have to use a competent tailor. Anybody can fix the hems, but the waist adjustment will be more challenging. By the time you checked out a couple tailors, and paid for it, maybe you'll wish you bought new pants.

Your best option may be to visit Chuck's Vintage or Dr. Blue Jeans in Van Nuys. If you can't go there, you could ship your jeans. Just talk to the guys on the phone first and then right down and include with your jeans the measurements of the adjustments you want made.

yeah the chances of a local tailor having machines that make exact evisu stiching is probably not that great. also imo shipping out jeans to be altered sounds like a recipe for disaster since the op may not know exactly what areas need to be adjusted to what exact measurement for the right fit and how to properly denote this.\

good luck either way

^ i just messaged chucks vintage to see if he has a chainstiching machine. i hope he does. No one on sufu has yet found a single spot that has a chainstich machine in south cali. i can only imagine if there was a place to get one it would become an unofficial instant socal sufu meetup.

• 1 year later...

i have a pair of levi 514's that when i bought were nice, but now they are SUPER big(i have no idea why) and they are just straight(no honeycombs or nothing). i have had them laying in the closet and now i want to make them slimmer. i dont want to have them professionally tailored(i have no money). How can i make it so the ankle has a tight fit and the calf area. im not sure how to stitch it.

i have a pair of levi 514's that when i bought were nice, but now they are SUPER big(i have no idea why) and they are just straight(no honeycombs or nothing). i have had them laying in the closet and now i want to make them slimmer. i dont want to have them professionally tailored(i have no money). How can i make it so the ankle has a tight fit and the calf area. im not sure how to stitch it.

my local tailor tapered my 514's for 10 bucks. i wouldnt attempt to do that myself if thats what your thinking.