Best live rock recordings

airfrogusmc

Here are my choices. These are in NO particular order.

The Who "Live at Leeds". Forget about it a no brainer. One of rocks greatest bands at the peek of their performing power. All 15 minutes of My Generation with Townsend playing the entire hall like an instrument. Using the echo off the back wall. Just an amazing live recording.

Rollins Band "The Only Way to Know for Sure" rehearsing the band which for this line up is Mother Superior in an unairconditioned room in the middle of summer for hours everyday so they could get ready to play the clubs WHOA and the record shows the value of it.

Allman Brothers "Live at the Fillmore East" Duane still around and the band never sounded better. Great live record.

Hendrix "Star Spangled Banner from Woodstock" defined a generation.

Janes Addiction XXX A great band giving a great performance WHORES

Anybody agree?

i agree w/ live @ leeds, and hendrix's "star spangled"; haven't heard the others.

my wife's got this cure "faith" bootleg w/ numerous versions of that one track-----smith is at his most vitriolic.

the neil young records "rust never sleeps" and "live rust" are great, of course.

"gravity grave" live by the verve on that b-sides record is pretty great, man.

i dunno. umm...

oh yeah, "RANK" by the smiths------"i know its over"; very honest performance

U2 - Go Home: Live from Slane Castle, Ireland... ok, i have got an u2 fetish...

one of the first cd's i actually bought physically.. itunes.com..

thin lizzie - live and dangerous. i no those recording better than the studio ones. awesome live album

bad religion - tested. excellent recording quality, you get a feel for the live-ness of it and and everythings so so clear. you hear a few mistakes here and there but they dont matter. sick band too.

Thin lizzie was a great live band!!! Didn't Gary Moore tour with them once?

sterophonics live at cardiff 1998

they are probably unkown outside of britain and now a bit embarrasing but back in the day, this was theiir homecoming and they rocked

ive did have an mp3 from that day of one of their classics a thousand trees (still love it)

and in the background you can hear a girl singing a little bit too loudly, but thats what was great about thqt day.everyine singing along

as good as hendrix at woodstock is, for another AMAZING live hendrix recording, don't forget to check out 'band of gypsys.' Make sure you get the 2 disc version. It's basically hendrix with a more bluesy, solid rhythm section (buddy miles and billy cox) with less of his psychedelic, ear-shattering solos and more concise, but equally amazing guitar playing

this entire album...........one incredible concert in super high quality recording. you might all be thinking this is reggae not rock! But if any of you know anything about peter tosh then you know he was the first artist to be signed by Mick Jagger's Rolling Stones label. And you also know how bad dude wanted to be a rock star and leave his reggae roots behind, one of the main reason's for leaving The Wailers. He is also the person who taught Bob Marley how to play the guitar.

One of the world's greatest guitar players of all time Peter "Mac-In" Tosh

This concert also features backing band by none other than reggae legends Sly & Robby.

Peter Tosh - 1976 Live In Boston.

as good as hendrix at woodstock is, for another AMAZING live hendrix recording, don't forget to check out 'band of gypsys.' Make sure you get the 2 disc version. It's basically hendrix with a more bluesy, solid rhythm section (buddy miles and billy cox) with less of his psychedelic, ear-shattering solos and more concise, but equally amazing guitar playing

Oh yeah Machine Gun is just incredible. Woodstock more for its historical importance.

i agree w/ live @ leeds, and hendrix's "star spangled"; haven't heard the others.

my wife's got this cure "faith" bootleg w/ numerous versions of that one track-----smith is at his most vitriolic.

the neil young records "rust never sleeps" and "live rust" are great, of course.

"gravity grave" live by the verve on that b-sides record is pretty great, man.

i dunno. umm...

oh yeah, "RANK" by the smiths------"i know its over"; very honest performance

DDML Haven't heard the Allman Bros at the Fillmore record?

Oh man how could I leave off Kick Out the Jams MC5. DDML thanks for reminding me.

"Right now, Right now, Right now we're gonna kick out the jams motha fucker."

Recorded at Detroits Grand Ballroom in 1968. Probably one of the most under-appreciated but most influential records of that period. You can still here it influence. I tried to stay away from bands that were my favorites and went for the absolute best performances. The Who Live at Leeds in my opinion is maybe the best of the best. Even if your not a Who fan you have to appreciate this album along with the others I've mentioned for the GREAT performances.

live at the fillmore-derek and the dominoes

Great record but for me if I were to pick a Clapton live record it would have to be that first live Cream record the one with NSU and Sweet Wine where they were truly pushing the music. And for Duane its the Allman Bros Live at the Fillmore. Whipping Post is just incredible. Duane died not long after it was recorded.

Glad the Allman Bros at Fillmore East was mentioned. A great set. Will add The Stones' Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.

Listening to both versions of Machine Gun, the second version from the two disc set, as good as it is, can't touch the original. Everything about that first version, Hendrix's tone on his Strat; the phasing; notes soaring aloft, searingly, only to come crashing down in a massive explosion of sound; the drive of an otherwise mediocre rhythm section (granted, Cox is a better musician than Miles); the fury and intricacy of that performance is stunningly visual. You can see the scorched earth battlefield, and the horror and sadness the music conveys. It's epic. It's Hendrix's finest moment.

OOF, so many good live albums out there...

Definately agree on Live at Leeds and At Fillmore East, both stolen from me by my father and brother...I still have the live Mountain Jam on Eat A Peach.

Neil Young- Time Fades Away is one of my favorites, only available on vinyl, Neil wont release it on CD for some reason...

David Bowie - Stage such a great live album.

Bob Dylan Bootleg series - Royal Albert Hall & Rolling Thunder Review and Dylan/The Band - Before the Flood - three of my favorites.

Havent heard Kicking Television by Wilco, but they are great live so I'm sure that is too.

Oh, and various Clash bootlegs, sucks that nothing has been officialy released yet.