Seasir - original Okinawan jeans

mbneville

Hi, this is my first post, but I have been viewing these forums for awhile. This info will probably be of particular interest for red, since he lives here too, and from what I have read he doesn’t know about these jeans.

I moved to Okinawa this August, and I found this store here in Naha by accident one night. It is called UDenim. They sell various premium denim, but their specialty is their own jeans called Seasir. In Japanese the store actually calls them シーサー(Shiisaa), which is the word in Okinawan dialect for the lion-looking beasts everyone here puts in their homes and stores to protect from evil spirits. I don’t know why the name got changed into ‘Seasir’

I haven’t had a chance to examine the jeans at the store closely, but the website has good pictures.

http://www.udenim.com/seasir/index.html

They are high quality, selvage, and produced in small batches here in Okinawa. I have never heard of them outside of Okinawa so they don’t seem to be well known even in mainland Japan. When I have more time I plan on going back and picking up a pair.

Has anyone else heard of these before?

hey my brother lives in japan and he just told me about those... i honestly didnt pay attention cuz he deosnt know much about jeans and i thought he was just blabbering stuff about some brand called "caeser". too bad i cant read japanese but from the details, they look pretty legit..

looks very interesting. from the quick glance i've taken, i can tell that:

sj-4 and the 琉球 (ryuukyuu) jeans are collaborations with studio d'artisan

they also have warehouse collaboration jeans

nabbie 1st are ladies jeans but are popular among (skinny) men

seems like the inseam are 33" unwashed and are supposed to shrink to 30-31". definitely not for taller guys.

seems like the inseam are 33" unwashed and are supposed to shrink to 30-31". definitely not for taller guys.

through google translator...

nabbie 1st But it is the lady's line, the man keeps buying mainly.

so japanese denim companies are doing colabs now. wow.

That's right.

The Japanese says:

レングスは縮み前が全サイズ33インチとなっており、縮み後は30~31インチ程度になります。

The length for all sizes before shrinkage is 33 inches. After shrinkage will become 30-31 inches.

On the website it says that for all the jeans on sale, but the store has a much larger selection so it is possible they have more lengths, then again the production is in very small quantities so I wouldn't be surprised if they have just one length.

If you look at a jeans description, the Japanese 在庫数 means the amount left in stock.

From the site it looks like there are:

10 left of SJ-4

6 of the nabbie 1st

10 of the SJ-5

10 of the SJ-6

4 left of the Ryuukyuu Jeans 琉球ジーンズ (Ryuukyuu is the name of the old kingdom that was here before the islands became a part of Japan)

I'm not fluent but I can translate anything if I have a dictionary, so if you want me to translate anything else just ask.

mbneville, welcome to the future.

how do you like okinawa? just came back from there last month. saw lots of good denim.

Hey I am enjoying it so far. Although I also have many complaints about living in Japan, it has been a good experience overall.

I went back to the store and had time to look around for awhile. They have tons of great denim there. It has to be the best denim shop in all of Okinawa. They have the store's Seasir jeans, Samurai, Sugarcane, Evisu, various Japanese Lees and Levis, Edwin, Studio D Artisan, and some other Japanese brands.

• 13 years later...

Pair of SJ-5 up on Yahoo (looks like an SdA collab?): https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u389957954

Funny, hadn't ever heard of this brand before, but would be interested in seeing how they wear if anyone's inclined to pick them up…

More info: http://denim-gallery.heavy.jp/studio-dartisan/seasirjeans-sj5.html