GAP Selvage

soultek

Mainly directed at ringring, but I thought others might like to know too. GAP selvage denim has been mentioned several times on this board. Where can this be found? Was it from an old season? Or is it only sold in limited quantities at flagship stores or something? Thanks.

I've seen GAP selvedge in various seasons. I bought my first pair, (one-wash redline) maybe 4-5 years ago in NYC. I saw GAP selvedges last spring, I think in one-wash and lighter washes (handbrush, stonebleach) with a nice pale blue selvedge. Then last winter they had some dry selvedge jeans with multi coloured buttons (like PRPS).

There's a couple of pics here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/TommyTank/HPIM0356.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/TommyTank/HPIM0357.jpg

I don't know what the distribution policy is with these, but I have seen them in smaller shops, not just flagships.

Edited by ringring on Apr 11, 2005 at 04:06 AM

for everybody with those jeans i was nt hating, i just had to use 'tacky' in reference to a misplaced bar tack.

EDIT:

though technically the bar tack is nt misplaced there s just an extra rivet. sounded better in my head...

Edited by eldave04 on Apr 12, 2005 at 06:33 AM

• 3 months later...

Just got a pair of the gap raw selvedge that ringring had talked about, I think I got a steal on ebay, ended at about $8. . . they seem very nice to my untrained eye, looks like its ring ring selvedge black? denim . . . a little too much selvedge though on the coin pocket and fly . . . tag says 34x32 although they're more like 35x36-37 . . i think the 32 refers to the size with the cuffs turned up . . . overall the stitching and cut look and feel premium.

they're about half an inch larger in the waist, so I was going to try and shrink them: based on what I've read I was going to go with the overnight, inside-out soak in cold water and high temp dryer action, unless someone can help me by suggesting a better way?

thanks.

here are a couple of pics:

gap2.jpg

gap3.jpg

gap4.jpg

gap7.jpg

gap8.jpg

gap9.jpg

"Cotton picked in Japan" -- what a load of rubbish. Cotton hasn't been grown in Japan since the Taisho period (1912-1926).

World Cotton Production

(Millions of metric tons) 2004/05

1 China 6.3

2 United States 5.0

3 India 3.3

4 Pakistan 2.5

5 Brazil 1.3

6 Uzbekistan 1.1

7 African Franc Zone 1.0

8 Turkey 0.9

9 Australia 0.5

10 EU 0.5

11 Syria 0.3

12 Egypt 0.3

13 Turkmenistan 0.2

14 Tajikistan 0.2

15 Kazakhstan 0.1

World Total 25.2

Source: US Dept of Agriculture

haha... yeah, when i was reading the info, i was thinking the same thing about japan cotton... horseshit.

but damn, those do look pretty nice! and damn good price too.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Yes, Japan produces a lot of denim, but it's all from imported cotton.

It shows that the marketing departments of these companies get a bit detached from reality sometimes, and there's no one to check or contest the claims they make. You really have to adopt a slightly cynical approach to what you see on lables like that.

Edited by takashi on Aug 8, 2005 at 04:42 AM

first check your own spelling , dude...

sometimes i think, guys here are illiterate, even when writing in their own language.

selvage or selvedge is the same. it derives from self edge. you moron..

and your question sounds right like this: hasnt gap spelled (not SPELT)..etc? gap is singular. so its:

has gap not spelled ?

Quote:

first check your own spelling , dude...

sometimes i think, guys here are illiterate, even when writing in their own language.

selvage or selvedge is the same. it derives from self edge. you moron..

and your question sounds right like this: hasnt gap spelled (not SPELT)..etc? gap is singular. so its:

has gap not spelled ?

--- Original message by juxtaposed on Aug 8, 2005 08:45 AM

am i writing a fucking english essay? no.......... short hand u fucking moron

yeah the tag description is total b.s. . . . outside of the japan cotton lie, its very doubtful they would use "vintage" shuttle looms . . . Gap's definitely trying too hard.

how much are they instore?

i read they were about $120 in stores, however it seems a bunch of people got them on sale for a alot less at the end of the season.

the fit is a little on the boxy side, I think thats because they're a little bigger than my normal size so the legs and waist aren't even close to being tight. . . I hope if I can get them shrunk an inch they would fit fine. the only thing that bugs me is the back pockets, they seem a little too far down.

not sure the weight, but comparing them to a couple of other jeans I have Id say they're in the normal 10-12oz range.