super style future forum

poly800rock

There's a nice range of clothing forums IMHO and, although their content do overlap, they're primarily complimentary in nature.

Superfuture has a nice selection of threads about current/hyped trends and is heavily focused on streetwear. The communications is mainly short and to the point with a lot of visual aids (pics/vids) and easy to read threads. You go there to see what people have bought or what they're wearing and maybe ask some simple questions about brands/key items. The large number of members means there is a lot of info out there but it's sometimes bogged down by thread redundancy and useless clutter. Basically a good place to update your game/sell your stuff/find where you can cop item X.

Styleforum (streetwear) has a more intimate feel and most posters fit in the stealth-wealth or similar style. It's usually a good place to ask more detailed/complicated questions as the threads move slower and the numerous regulars are quite willing to answer you if you're part of the group. Fewer pictures, fewer clutter but also fewer info about current trends. The other forums are quite interesting and as the average age of the posters is higher, you get different viewpoints (including some pathetically un-empathic ones) on various topics.

Ask andy: go back there when you’re 50, just kidding! I almost never go on that forum but the owner is quite friendly and there are some very knowledgeable posters there.

TheFashionSpot: Huge amount of information and posters, a focus on designer garments (instead of streetwear or business wear). Great place to see what those elusive skirted creatures have to say about fashion. The sheer mass of posters make for an almost never-ending amount of clutter and sadly, it seems that since women are socially expected to care about fashion, they’ve got a lot of people who are average mall shoppers with not much to contribute and no particular knowledge about the field. The sheer size of the board also means moderation has to be very strict and slightly off topic posts are often disallowed. Still a good place to find out about new collections, runway trends and women’s take on fashion. Some posters are waaaay ahead of the curve and it’s probably the only place where you can ask questions about Kristensen du Nord or Farliero Sarti and have someone answer something meaningful.

ThatOtherPlace (that’s too funny that no one mentioned which one so I’ll keep it that way): Very recently started, great intimate feel and lots of knowledgeable posters. The focus is on innovative/conceptual/minimalist design and where/how to cop those nice pieces. Posters are respectful of each others and the small size allows for non-intrusive moderation and more in-depth posts. Due to the small number of members and the lack of publicity, the forum is sometimes slow moving and lacking in female posters. There’s also a general consensus on what’s cool or not that should be solved by having posters with different viewpoints join. Oh and I feel lonely on the cinema thread so please post in this one!!! :P

You know too much about cinema, Fuuma. You're a one-man film-watching dynamo.

Haha, well I'm not the only one (see Mass on thatplace or TokyoSlim on styleforum for exemple).

Interesting aside: I was recently looking at industry stats and, if you take, for exemple my average movie viewing hours of the last two months (32 films in october, 31 in november=+-1 movie/day-yes I do keep a watching journal with ratings and occasional comments) let's say 2hrsX7days=14 hrs/week and compare it with average hours spent watching tv (I've watched 0 hours of television in the last 4 years, aside from 2 debates at friends places during the last federal elections) I'm actually under the national/provincial average for my age/gender/ethnic group. I'd draw a parallel with the way a lot of posters purchase clothes in here: by looking for deals, gathering knowledge and only purchasing a few pieces of excellent quality at discounted prices you actually end up with a very impressive wardrobe with limited spending.

styleforum alternately bores and annoys me. there's no comfortable middle ground there for me at all, i lurk sometimes just to see if there's anything worthwhile or a coupon code to swipe, but that's about it.

i've lurked at the forum that shall remain unknown for awhile, but haven't committed to joining. however, i do check it practically every day, and will probably end up joining soon. i'm apprehensive because my girlfriend already teases me for being SF and if she found out that my deep, dark addiction to talking about fabric with other guys, she'd stop letting me see her naked.

first... someone let me know about "the other place"

second... say what you will about styleforum... but ring ring just posted there. when was the last ime he posted here?

oh well......

im gonna start my own forum and destroy all others. me and red will be the mods. :eek: