Moving to Chicago

Guest ATS

I don't post regularily cause I only got internet at work... but if some Chicago residents can help me out with this.

Just recv'd notice that I'll be relocating to Chicago in February...got a way better job!!!

But I've only visited Chicago airport during layovers, never been around the city. So i know absolutely nothing about the neighbourhoods. If you guys could help me out, where's a good recommended place to live? Bucktown?Wicker Park?Wrigleyville??? I have no idea, these are places some people told me about, but they've only visited. I'll be visiting Chicago sometime next month to check it out and find a place to live, so I'd like to gather as much information as possible. I'd obviously like to be located close to bars and restaurants mid 20 crowd. So i don't have to drive and can just walk the ladies back to my pad. I checked superfuture and there's nothing about Chicago. Not even much shopping? I'm currently living in downtown Toronto and I enjoy this city, will Chicago compare? I've also live downtown Montreal, Vancouver, and Nyc.

I'd need a loft style place, big, well priced... I'll be keeping all my samples in there until I find a good showroom, that'll be my next hunt. I'm also an artist so I'd need a decent sized place.

Thank You

from what you said above, i think you'd be best placed in wicker park / ukranian village - if you can afford it. it sounds like you can. . . if you want more "raw" space and room for your studio, etc, look in pilsen. there's not as many trendy bars or restaurants, but the best mexican food in the city. lofts are everywhere so you won't need to worry about that, though the newer and higer-priced ones that i've visited belonging to friends seem shite quality. . . while the spaces in pilsen seem solid and are old warehouses and factories. i have not really stayed in chicago for a while, but i grew up there and things are slow to change. . . in a good way though. :)

as for the comparision, if you've lived in montreal and new york, i don't think it will feel as "cosmopolitan". . . but the insular nature/location i think lends itself to a different type of creativity and energy, a truly underground arts culture less-influenced by trends. . . be patient in finding this scene, it's there and less in your face than new york. . .but wonderful to be apart of once discovered. :)

i'm biased of course.

thanks myh,

I was expecting more responses but i guess you hit the nail on its head so there's nothing left to add. Wicker Park was most recommended to me, and when browsing thru craigslist rent don't seem horrible. Both Toronto and NYC living cost is insane, Chicago looks a lot better.

Can anyone recommend any good spots to check out in Chicago?

-ATS