SuperCareer Move: I Need Your Help!

onemancult

Scenario: I was let go from a pretty plum job as a publicity assistant at a mid-size publishing company back in May, and found work as a publicist at a worker/employee advocacy group soon after.

At first, it was a pretty sweet deal. They were paying me more than I originally made, and everyone seemed really nice. A month into it, I realized that I'd been suckered into working for the most bland, boring, soulless people in the universe. They're still generally nice, but jesus christ, sometimes I feel too apprehensive to even get up out of my seat because it is generally frowned upon to upset the calmness of the office. Offices aren't supposed to be dead quiet- ours is, quite often, and it drives me nuts. For various other reasons, this is definitely not the place for me to be working.

They pay me well and they think highly of me, and talk about keeping me around for years to come to help them develop and expand operations. I've taken on a lot of responsibility, and am now entrusted with both PR and Marketing.

I've recently received an almost too good to be true offer as a sales developer with a premier online advertising company. They've got the technology and research behind them to propel them to the forefront of the ad industry, and I'm more than interested in the field. I've been all but promised a job with a confirmation that they can at the very least try to match my current compensation. My contact person there is extremely enthusiastic about bringing me aboard his team, and he seems to have that general passion for life that separates people like him and I from the weirdo, eat the same lunch every day, live in a studio even though we run a multi-million dollar company,

65+ white as snow folks that I currently work for.

What do I do? How much notice do I give? How can I go about this with tact and respect? I need to be diplomatic, and right now, that isn't my strongest point.

just be upfront about it

tell them you need a change in your life

you enjoyed working with them but you feel this isn't 'it'

when you say online advertising company, does this mean you'll have something to do with annoying popups or spyware?

neither annoying pop-ups nor spyware.

my understanding so far:

the company operates as a middle man between ad agencies and major websites, and uses proprietary technology to serve ads to people based on their previous surfing history. you've probably got a user profile with this company and don't even know it, based on the websites you visit- there's no harmful intent, because the user profile is generated only from the very cookies that you allow your computer to keep stored- you're in total control.

and so, let's say you've visited a certain number of fashion related websites over the course of a month- the next time you hit up a random site, the ad you'll see at the top or the side of the page won't just be a random ad for something you're not interested in, it will be something fashion-related that is much more likely to catch your eye.

the reader is happy they chanced upon the ad, the ad agency is happy they were able to narrowcast to their target demographic, and the website is happy they are better serving the needs of both their sponsors and their readers.

it's pretty revolutionary stuff, its been getting a lot of press in ad industry/marketing circles... definitely ten times better than sending out press releases every two weeks about how to find the right job.

have you never quit a real job before?

just be like, hey old dude, I was offered a position that I'm really excited about and I've decided to accept it. My last day will be in two weeks (if they ask for more, agree to no more than 4 weeks). I appreciate having the opportunity to work with you these past months. Let's sit down and talk about how we can make my departure as smooth as possible.

Simple, direct, and sterile is the best way to go. Happens all the time, nobody gets their panties in a wad about it, and if they do, you probably don't want their reference anyway.

have you never quit a real job before?

nope. first time. that's why i'm a bit iffy about how to go about it.

but, your advice was great, and everyone else seems to echo the same points: be direct, be up front, and keep it nice and sterile.

no longer will i work for robotic old fogeys that get one Subway sandwich, the same sandwich, every single day, every single goddamn day, and each eat a quarter of it for lunch and the other quarter for dinner. fucking weirdos.

to be honest I've never quit either, I've always worked either for a fixed time or on project basis (freelance). recently I was a partner at a friends company but when I moved on my friend already knew about my plans so I never really had to quit. now I'm basically working for myself, so no need to quit even now ;)

just be upfront and honest about it as someone said, I think that'll do just fine

good luck with the new job!

if only our superfuture reputation points would translate into real money. (what IS the point of those anyway?)

I agree with all of the above suggestions, if you're polite/professional/firm about what you want to do, they might not be happy about it, but they shouldn't hold a grudge either unless you're really screwing them somehow.

good luck with the career change