Clueless idiots starting a T-shirt line.......Need you advice, bad.

BKNY

We are in Japan.

We want to keep our costs as low as possible.

We also want to provide a decent quality product.

Should we be having our shirts done in the US, china, here in Japan, where??

What shirts should we use ?

Printing company?

What is an average price per shirt with tags and let's say 3 colors.?

See, told you we were clueless.

Thanks in advance.

Life...I wonder...will it take me under?

being from japan you should have many resources on that side of the world. but you may try china the pricing will be better but what is going to get you is the quantity. if you want small quantity you may check with your local screenprinting shop and they can provide shirts also. they can also point you in the direction for your tags

good luck

Looks to me like HiFashion already deserves to be a major partner in the project.

Hey, I wanna sell bikes... Anybody know where I cant get an inventory? & where's the best place to open a bike shop? USA, UK, Japan, etc.? What bikes are best?

LOL... Just playin' cause I gotta real kick outta that post. Lots of "clueless idiots" have started lines.

Good luck to you!

Start small. Local screenprinter. Then move on for better price breaks as you grow...

-Dub

First of all, your going to need a designer who is familiar with desiging for screen printing (which is a lot different then designing club flyers or any other form of graphic design). If you have an experienced screen printer designer this will save you loads of time and money when you go to your printer for prints.

I recomend you visit this website, www.screenprinters.net. It's a US-based website but provides loads of information. Pick up the book by the maker of the website, who has his own screen printing workshop in the USA, it's called HOW TO MAKE T-SHIRTS FOR FUN AND PROFIT. It's very informative. You will find a lot of information on his website.

When making t-shirts you need to sample first. Samples usually cost around 12 to 15 dollars per shirt. You need to get a film, screen, and print made for every color of every design. Blank t-shirts usually cost around 2.50 to 5.00 at your screen printer (5.00 being the American Apparel tee, and 3.00 would be Gildan, AAA, or similiar). I recomend you just try on the shirts and wear them out for a few days, see what's good.

When you go into production, the price per shirt is usually half of what you paid per shirt for sampling. Minimum order in production is about 72 peices, per design. It will get expensive.

Stitched tags are expensive, and can take a while to get made, I recomend you just screen print your tags on the inside of the shirt (3 screens, it's cheaper and easier). Leave yourself some room for the company to grow and mature (meaning upgrading your tee's on your 2nd season, and changing your hang tags, etc.)

Finally, I recomend you dont even try starting a line. Everyone and their momma want's to have a t-shirt line and it's much harder then you think. If you don't already know a good screenprinter or have a designer who can design for screens, then just stop, rethink the situation. Starting a t-shirt company involves a lot of money to be available at your disposal. Read some books first atleast, take a class in experimental screen printing, PRINT YOUR OWN DESIGNS, get the hand of what screen printing is (it's fucking complicated!!) their's different inks, and different screens, all this bullshit that clueless idiots shouldn't even fuck with unless they have a good background in. Do some research, do some homework, take a class, just dont be so clueless, your line will turn into a joke.

Edited by the trendoid on Apr 2, 2005 at 11:34 AM