Bicyclettes

canice

^ lol dope avy btw

thanks for the kind words guys. considering how it must have looked to other people, i feel pretty fortunate to have walked away with only some bruises. but yeah my frame is definitely fucked. shit slants sideways when i take my hands off the bars. spoke with the claim adjuster this morning..they're still trying to get a hold of the driver. does anybody know how much insurance companies typically payout for stuff like this?

I would like to know too. I am contacting the insurance adjuster for my wreck tomorrow. I have scratches on my frame and handlebars which the dude at the bike shop said he would write into his evaluation as well as at least a new front wheel and repairs on the back. he said he is recommending they reimburse me for the bike, but we will see. Did the police fault the motorist in your case?

It depends on your state laws to how little an insurance adjuster can give you.

Shops full of experience in metro areas where collisions are more common know this and take this into account with their quotes, because you may or may not get it all.

An honest appraisal would treat your bike like a non-cyclist would see it, and that is mostly as one unit, aside from wheels and tires. They would then quote replacement cost for slightly better spec and MSRP, because you'd be upgrading with the money anyhow.

Hope it goes well and you don't have some shit state with "fault percentages."

^ appreciate the info..that's good to know. just got off the phone with the geico rep again and they ruled in my favor! they're going to have someone contact me for an appraisal. austin is a fairly densely populated bike area and i've heard my friends getting 1200-1800 from the insurance companies. i really hope that's true.

i'll most likely just be replacing the frame, since my wheels are still fine. have no fucking idea what i want next. any suggestions on companies that make solid 49cm frames? or something similar to my surly steamroller i guess

fuck it, i'm probably just going to buy a complete off bikesdirect..thinking the motobecane team track or kilo tt. does anybody know if the 50cm kilo would be similar to my 49cm steamroller? or should i get the 47..?

duce that sucks man.

btw what's up with your usericon lol

edit: holy crap, trp095, duce and das repeater have circle icons olol

anyways – I received the Outlier.cc hoody...it's not bad, but it didn't seem that warm considering it was $225. Returning it, maybe picking up a pair of pants later. Want some Rapha gloves, sexy.

^ spanks for the sympathy and reps. haha dunno what theirs are about but mine is the symbol for Al Azif or the Necromonicon.

this is one beast of a frame.

decided to just go with a complete though. whaddya guys think..mercier or motobecane?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott_stripper.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/team_track.htm

^ spanks for the sympathy and reps. haha dunno what theirs are about but mine is the symbol for Al Azif or the Necromonicon.

this is one beast of a frame.

decided to just go with a complete though. whaddya guys think..mercier or motobecane?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott_stripper.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/team_track.htm

the motobecane is way more expensive. supposedly a rebranded Fuji Track comp. FYI, in a 49 size youll probably have a sloping top tube in the moto.

if you care about that sorta stuff.

my avatar is a double tetrahedron in a circle with corresponding degrees/markers. some free mason torsion physics type shit.

i've heard i'll have that issue with the kilo tt in a 47cm as well. doesn't bother me all that much. probably going with the mercier simply because of the huge price difference. i can use the extra dosh to buy some wheels/parts

the claim adjuster took away my bike this morning :( i'm getting a check in the mail for $1400 + bodily injury compensation though. think i'm going with the 47cm kilo tt stripper in red:

3q.jpg

redlight_gallery

1tt.jpg

slapping some white B43s and nitto rb-021s on there for starters..and ripping off those ugly brakes lol

-edit-

they're giving me an additional $300 for bodily injuries :D

redlight_gallery

basically, yeah. lmao

i bought my steamroller for $250 off CL looking like this:

surly1.jpg

and made it into this:

bghatx.jpg

had the thing for less than 3 months..i opted for them to take the whole thing away and compensate me for the bike and all the parts i put into it. told the claims adjuster i bought the bike as a complete for $700 brand new, got it powder-coated for $150, and ran through the list of parts i bought for it since.

i just want a decent complete (for cheap) that i can build up to my liking with the extra money..and save the rest.

my friend and i have just been discussing this for the past couple hours. he convinced me i should build up a bike, rather than ordering a complete from BD. i'll probably go with this pake ($200):

pakered.jpg

and:

- white b43 wheelset

- chris king threaded headset

- nitto pearl njs quill stem

- nitto rb-021 bars

- 46T sugino messenger crankset

- 17T cog

- MKS sylvan pedals

- soma double-gated clips/straps

- random seatpost/saddle

ok so kilo, ~$352 shipped for a whole bike. iro or langster frames are like $300 frame/fork/headset.

you'll be spending at least another $450+ to outfit that bike with better parts than what comes on the kilo and thats starting with just a $175 formula wheelset and $125 sugino messenger/rd crankset plus cheap stem, bars, cog, bottom bracket, post, stem, saddle, pedals, etc. that's a huge difference. even if you're buying used with homie discounts i challenge you to get it under $350 more.

basically, yeah. lmao

i bought my steamroller for $250 off CL looking like this:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/269/surly1.jpg

and made it into this:

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/2694/bghatx.jpg

had the thing for less than 3 months..i opted for them to take the whole thing away and compensate me for the bike and all the parts i put into it. told the claims adjuster i bought the bike as a complete for $700 brand new, got it powder-coated for $150, and ran through the list of parts i bought for it since.

i just want a decent complete (for cheap) that i can build up to my liking with the extra money..and save the rest.

Ah i see.. just different mindsets I guess. If I received 1.4k from insurance claim after a bike crash, that would be labeled as "bike money" and I'd prob splurge on something real nice :o

ok so kilo, ~$352 shipped for a whole bike. iro or langster frames are like $300 frame/fork/headset.

you'll be spending at least another $450+ to outfit that bike with better parts than what comes on the kilo and thats starting with just a $175 formula wheelset and $125 sugino messenger/rd crankset plus cheap stem, bars, cog, bottom bracket, post, stem, saddle, pedals, etc. that's a huge difference. even if you're buying used with homie discounts i challenge you to get it under $350 more.

Yeah I am with Dijonnaise, I would spend the 1.4k on a bike. I love bikes. And if you were intending to upgrade parts anyway, why would you start out with a complete bike of mediocre parts and then pay for nice stuff?That initial investment could be made in a higher quality frame set and then the parts you build it with are nice to begin with. However, I can see why saving some of it and spending it on other things would be appealing as well. With all of that being said, he walked away from being hit by a car and got 1.7k out of it. That is pretty badass. And fortunate.

my friend and i have just been discussing this for the past couple hours. he convinced me i should build up a bike, rather than ordering a complete from BD. i'll probably go with this pake ($200):

pakered.jpg

and:

- white b43 wheelset

- chris king threaded headset

- nitto pearl njs quill stem

- nitto rb-021 bars

- 46T sugino messenger crankset

- 17T cog

- MKS sylvan pedals

- soma double-gated clips/straps

- random seatpost/saddle

pake has a 1-1/8" headtube