Bicyclettes

canice

i have a 56 or 57cm pista.

i'm 6'1" and wear sz 48 and 31 x 32.

is this frame too big for doing tricks?

i've been doing backward circles and wheelies but i feel like my arms are always over-extended and makes tricking extra difficult.

i do have a long stem (the stock one) and am thinking of getting either a bmx or a thomson 50mm stem. even with the shorter stem, i think the frame would be too big.

what do you guys think? what size are you riding?

i might sell some jawns to make $ for a 3rd generation volume or MKE bruiser

YAY OR NAY

i found a custom lugged southwest frameworks cyclocross bike decked out with a mix of shimano dura-ace and 600 components. wheelset is mavic open 4 cd. all for $400

im feelin that i should jump on this now but maybe the more experienced bikers could give me advice whether i should get it or not

im 5'7" and im riding a 53cm surly. feels fine for my case. cept that i used to get lots of toe overlaps. but i've figured my way out of it after awhile.

How did you get ride of the toe overlap? Did you switch to shallower toe cages? I am getting a lot of that on my 50 cm (53 on most other bikes) kilo tt.

helmets - i need one, but not really sure what to look for besides the fact that it fits. I need one for basic joyriding and commuting. reading up about more and more accidents is starting to get to me

bicycle habitat has a pretty comprehensive buying guide here:

http://bicyclehabitat.com/page.cfm?pageID=454

i personally wear a helmet whenever i'm riding, even for a trip around the corner

i use a protec helmet that i also use for skating

but

it's got little ventilation and my head gets all steamy and shit

helmets - i need one, but not really sure what to look for besides the fact that it fits. I need one for basic joyriding and commuting. reading up about more and more accidents is starting to get to me

getting one that fits is the most important thing, it's no use if it'll slide off in an accident. buy a road cycling helmet which can tighten up at the chin and also in the back.

thanks, i've just been lazy about buying one since i've mainly been biking on campus. Im guessing i can get by with a helmet around 30-50 dollars rightttt?

yeah probably. i'd say decent helmets range from 40-90, the more expensive ones have better ventilation and nicer strapping systems but a properly adjusted helmet in that range with proper certification should do the trick.

btw helmets are intrisically dorky looking so no need to shell out tons of cash on a sleek looking euro helmet. though the ones that look like american football helmets are kind of ghey imo (i think this is the kind herps is talking about)

Yeah, i've acknowledged the fact that helmets are dorky but ehh i'd rather be alive and LA drivers suck ass. those catlike ones do look nice, but i'm not willing to justify spending 100-150 dollars on a helmet right now. any brands that are more economically friendly?

all helmets work the same. from the cheap ones to the expensive ones, they will all take your falls the same way. the cost goes up if the ventilation system is better or if it is more aerodynamic. i'd go with the one that looks good because that way i'd wear it more often even if i am just biking to school. you'd look dorky no matter what if you're wearing a helmet, but it's better to be alive than to have your brain splattered. i don't want to be a hypocrite so i've been constantly looking for a good deal on ebay. i'm trying to find a rudy project for a good deal. i'm also looking for a white giro monza in medium. if anyone has one for sale, let me know (or any medium sized helmets).

Any skate helmet is designed for multiple impact retention. I.E.- bouncing off the object, AND the ground, keeping your dome from being split open.

Bike helmets are intended for single impact, and need to be discarded even if there is no visible damage, the structural integrity has been compromised.

Bike helmets do a much better job at preventing concussion, which is the important part of their design. No American certified helmet will have many snag points, which is supposed to keep your head from being snapped around on the ground. It's bullshit, but that's what it is, and some helmets with a lot of venting get called out on having snag points, and thus, not certified in the US.

Expensive helmets are cooler than nothing at all (truth,) light, look better, and are really comfortable. Really, really comfortable.

I recommend Limar, personally.

Though Bell has several from inexpensive to Pro that are extremely available and real good. Check Bonktown regularly if you want a deal on something too rich for your blood.