Bicyclettes

canice

Does someone use 'Surly' hubs? I'm converting an old roadbike to singlespeed and those were recommended by the only store that sells fixie gear in this town. They are around €60. Or can I get something better for this price or cheaper?

i have surly hubs and i prefer them to formulas (but honestly i dont think theres a significant change you'll noticeably feel)

i'm thinking of selling some of my jawns

to purchase a milwaukee bruiser frame.

i dunno

not thinking about the volume cutter? (not sure if V2 can barspin or not still)

Considering getting the salsa rasta grip tape and wrapping it at the bottom of my drop bars like track grips.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=HT2208

opinion?

personally dont like that look, but w/e floats your boat

Sorry for fucking up this topic will all these stupid questions, but here's another one:

A 120mm rear hub won't work on a trackframe, right?

When I went to the store, they were like "it's a track frame? oh then you need -some number- spacing hub".

I'm trying to buy some online, since they are a lot cheaper than in the shop here.

you can find some nice vintage steel with older shimano 600 or ultegra for that easily. woops.. combined two unrelated posts on that one. most off the peg bikes are around $600 - khs flite100, bianchi pista, schwinn madison... and come with considerably nicer shit than a mercier or something.

that cycleops is nice, but i don't know about $800.

Can anyone recommend the best fixed gear bike for <$600??? I don't know shit about bikes.

i definitely will vouch for the schwinn madison

the frame itself is really good quality and it rides well on the road too.

wheels are a bit crappy though and a ridiculously long stem but other than that you're good to go.

one word of advice is to get one that has a uncut steer tube, some apparently got on the market and schwinn wont replace them (got a email last week) even though its sort of a manufacturers glitch.

how much do you guys usually pay for a tires?

One of mine were worn the hell out so i got new ones but on ... but they were like 60 or 70 n that was the cheapest they had in there

now that i think about it though it was prolly a pair in there anyways

i was on a budget and i got michelin oriums for my front

iirc, it was 20 or 30 usd.

not bad for the front, but definitely not as good as fancy performance tires that you'd pay 50-70 bucks for.

Do any sufuers use clipless pedals on their fixed gears?

If so, how well do they work compared to toe clips or straps?

Thanks.

Better than. Sport appropriate footwear/pedals is going to be better. Commuting or not riding far or for speed/fitness, whatever, but really it's not even expensive at all anymore.

Good tires are super wonderful. If you live in a dirty city, or anywhere where you're going to puncture a lot it's not practical, but nice riding, good value tires can be had by Maxxis and Vittoria. Michelin's and then Vittoria's cotton tires are the best I've ever ridden, but Michelin's low end is terrible, and Vittoria's are all Thai now...

Riding on quality tires is just like having fancy denim that's cut and detailed just like 501's: maybe only you'll know or care, but it'll feel great and you'll cherish it.

alot of people are inclined to using clips/straps because they ride alot in the city and need to dismount alot, this would make clipping in a massive annoyance. for longer rides clipless reigns.

For tires that last ages and are affordable i'd look into specialized armadillo's (skid nicely) or vittoria randonneurs.

To cjace you'd be better off asking around bikeforums.net or something like that.

how much do you guys usually pay for a tires?

One of mine were worn the hell out so i got new ones but on ... but they were like 60 or 70 n that was the cheapest they had in there

now that i think about it though it was prolly a pair in there anyways

If you have a Performance near you, I wait until they have sales. Or whenever a bike shop has a sale, I buy a couple of different tires to stock up. I have 2 laying around. A Rubino and some Continental.

About the Thomsons...

I have a Thomson seat post on the FTP, and just bought a generic Avenir OS stem, just to get the measurements out right. Will end up getting a Thomson later on, I guess. Just to match.

Ive seen a lot of people rock Easton as well.

is thomson like the only worthy brand for stem / seatposts?

seems like its what everyones buying and i'd like cheaper

alternative options that you guys like / ride?

i only have experience with thomson seat posts. they offer really minute adjustability and they look really nice. that being said, i recently switched back to my stock seatpost because it has a slight setback which is more comfortable for me on my frame.

Saddle soap (like for shoes/leather) but you're fighting a losing battle.

Just nobody ever ride an American Classic seatpost, kay? I broke two. Granted it was on a cross and work bike respectively, but still!

I hate posts that adjust with the front of two bolts and secure with the rear bolt. Ritchey's are super secure, cheap, and light, but a pain to set up. I like Bontrager's single-side bolt for ease of use, and it's secure. I guess the WCS is still the best I've ever had though....

If anyone needs a post cheaply, I have a Ritchey Pro and a Profile OS2 that's pretty cool.

[quote name=the Repeater;1759665

If anyone needs a post cheaply' date=' I have a Ritchey Pro and a Profile OS2 that's pretty cool.[/quote]

how much repeater?

i n33d good but cheap im not abusive on my bike so hopefully its something that'll hold up fine.