Bicyclettes

canice

Ok good news, I measured the frame with wheels and (I'm an idiot) when measuring the top tube its center to center, and its actually a 55cm, not a 57cm which means it will work.

On the other hand, the guy at the bike shop said that it was a super big target bike to get stolen. So I'm kind of back to square one with my goal of getting a beater for the city I can also take on the track- recall I only paid $250 for the thing. I guess it's a nicer bike than I originally thought.

Any bike is a target, just get a decent lock, and when you liock it up lock it somewhere in a busy area with lots of foot traffic. Good lock (U-lock or chain with at least silver SoldSecure rating, ie Kryptonite evo series) + busy area = they gonna have a hard time stealing it without people noticing.

You should also get some cable locks for the seat and wheels cos a lot of the time if a thief cant get the bike then hell take the wheels or anything thats not locked down just out of spite.

Dont worry about it though, as long as you dont leave it locked against a chainlink fence you should be ok.

don't know where you live, but union square is simultaneously one of the busiest and highest bike theft areas in the city. people aren't going to stop a theif half the time, or even pay attention to the difference of them unlocking or picking/breaking a lock.

a concept is definitely a target, but only because of the huge BIANCHI decals all over it. a lot of the time theives just go for brand names or shit they see sell on craigslist... basically why the chrome pistas would disappear all the time.

i lock outside my work with a chain and an evo mini-up around the loose wheel. i've come out to other loose parts, including locked wheels, but that's new york.

don't know where you live, but union square is simultaneously one of the busiest and highest bike theft areas in the city. people aren't going to stop a theif half the time, or even pay attention to the difference of them unlocking or picking/breaking a lock.

a concept is definitely a target, but only because of the huge BIANCHI decals all over it. a lot of the time theives just go for brand names or shit they see sell on craigslist... basically why the chrome pistas would disappear all the time.

i lock outside my work with a chain and an evo mini-up around the loose wheel. i've come out to other loose parts, including locked wheels, but that's new york.

I guess its different in NY, but then again NY is the bike theft capital of the universe. Over here its usually a deterrent to theives if you lock your bike where lots of people can see it, but then again this is England, even the bike theives have to uphold a decent level of gentlemanliness:D

what happened to the pics you were gonna post ml?? Im hoping by the end of next week to be built now,just gotta wait for my hed3 and phils to arrive in the post,and find a nice rear 32 hole rim deepish and silver to work with the chrome chainstays and suggestions,gotta be clincher also.

what happened to the pics you were gonna post ml?? Im hoping by the end of next week to be built now,just gotta wait for my hed3 and phils to arrive in the post,and find a nice rear 32 hole rim deepish and silver to work with the chrome chainstays and suggestions,gotta be clincher also.

just finally got to home depot for a pipe cutter and put on the bars late last night and rode around for awhile at like 1am. i'll take some shots tonight, in fact i need to do that for all 3 bikes.

most of the velocity rims will come in a bunch of finishes in machined and non machined. i put aeros on the vigorelli... nice shape, burly and not stupid looking like a deep v.

858599150_79bad21f5a.jpg

Seattle is where I'm at. Basically the story is that I'm not locking up a full carbon/ultegra/dura-ace tarmac not because I don't have a U-lock [i most certainly do] but because I don't trust a bike that nice will not be stolen.

Now there's really no argument that the tarmac is a nicer bike than a pista concept. However it seems as though I've acquired a bike which is actually worse in terms of liklihood of being stolen [even when locked up] than I had originally expected.

So what I'm thinking is I can build up this pista into a nice track bicycle, and continue my search for a beater.

yeah there is no way im having a deep v on the back,its hard deciding till the bike gets built up i guess but i need the parts in place so i can get the wheel made up asap,im a bit dubious about how the hed will look on this bike but guess if i dont love it i know it has a place on another planned build.

yeah my concerns are asethetic as its a classic lugged frame,chrome forks and stays peraly white black decals,i looked at those h+ 42mm rims which are nicer constructed than a deep v nearly invisible seam,so i may go with them,or theres something in me leaning just getting a nice regular depth rim, needs to be silver.il have to stick my head in he bike shop and see what they have i like the mavic cxp 30s they certainly look right.

ah yeah... this was on a powder coated GTB. it looked good with the aluminum tubing.

i don't know a ton about rims, but there is probably something out there i don't know of that looks just as good. my roommate found these semi-aero campy gunmetal colored ones (can check the model later) that are probably some of the best looking rims i've seen.

as everyone else says on the net, madison paint chips reaaaaal easy.

its chrome underneath... how would i rub off the paint so the smooth chrome finish is there?

thinking maybe steel wool / paint thinner or just sandpapering and then powderpainting or something

This has been said a million times just as people have made the mistake of buying aerospokes a million times. They're overpriced, heavy, and inferior. Of course that's just me not hating, just saying.

agreed.

aerospokes are way expensive and heavy but what about a rear aero to keep the skids downz. yaddibooobooo

as everyone else says on the net, madison paint chips reaaaaal easy.

its chrome underneath... how would i rub off the paint so the smooth chrome finish is there?

thinking maybe steel wool / paint thinner or just sandpapering and then powderpainting or something

Jasco. its a paint stripper that won't harm the chrome as long as its not left on too long. Can strippers are garbage, but Jasco would probably eat a hole to china if you'd let it.

I used to have my chain real tight all of the time, just because it felt more secure or something.

Now I keep it looser, always a little play in the chain. It just rolls so much smoother and when I go back to a tighter tension it feels like the bike is resisting.

.5-1 inch doesn't sound like a problem to me.

yeahh i finally figured out how to get my dimensions right...

i need the handlebars to be a bit higher (im sure theres like risers for this kinda stuff) and a better seat... and i should be good!

attempted a suicide skid... was somewhat succesful... i just need to get over the hump of not wanting to "fall face flat" but its def. a work in progress.

.....so you don't know how to adjust your chain, but you're trying to learn how to skid with no hands?

i have a question: i've been traveling a lot recently, and in my travels found my chain a bit dry. only thing i had with me was a tube of all purpose grease, i've used it mainly for packing bearings and on threaded things, bolts and cogs etc. so i massaged said grease into my chain, and wiped it down. now my chain's all super quiet, smooth, and happy. it's a bit greasy, but i can deal. i sound like a bit of an idiot, but are there any cons to using grease instead of fancy schmancy dry chain lube, etc?