Hot Urban Apparel Stores.

Kersten

I was wondering if anyone knew the best stores hot independent brands in your area. I'm talking about urban t-shirts and the like. If you're in San Francisco - stores like HUF or RECON.

I was recently in Las Vegas for the MAGIC/POOl trade show and saw a lot of great brands. If you want to see what kind of brands I found, email me. I am a buyer for a lifetyle wholesaler and deal with some nice stuff.

Peace.

Kersten

Check out:

El Kartel in Vancouver there digits are: 1. 604.683.2172. Ask for Pablo, he's one of the owners and he's hella chill, they were at Magic this year as well.

From your e-mail I got the impression you want the contacts for the stores, if you want contact info on designers in Vancouver tell me, I'll be happy to oblige and provide you with more info.

Peace.

Thanks for the info about El Kartel in Vancouver! I have actually spoken to some guys from there already. It's a fresh little store and if I'm in Vancouver, i'm definitley going in.

Regarding the word "Urban". I know what you mean when you say it makes you think of Rocawear and the like. It's such a general word. When I say Urban - I simply mean connected to "the city" which actually envelops a lot of lifestyles, including the "bling bling" insanity. Maybe there's a better word out there. I'll get on that.

Industry term. YES. It is. "STREETWEAR" is also used pretty heavily. It's just a little difficult for me to describe exactly who I support because I support indie designers who are hard to categorize (thankfully). They dont; fit into the corporate wording structures that have been created. URBAN, on the corporate side of things, generally refer to companies like Phat Farm, Ecko, and the like.

So when I say Urban stores, I'm talking about boutiques that support indie designers who have flair with life in the city or music.

Ahhhh - words. They can merely point.

really? i went to magic/pool and besides callous footwear all i saw was a bunch of shit to wipe my ass with....

the formula?

um, let's start a t-shirt company, put a number or a number of numbers in our company name, and make our t-shirts the colors of the latest dunk release. bonus points if you brought your nikes to display with your shirts. yep, that's the formula right there. fucking...

G

A

Y.

I AM LEISURE.

I totally agree with Boats. Its the same in the UK. Loads of same old crappy formula that shows how little creativity, quality and passion is in the product, can spot it a mile off.

Paul Bowles - “... A Frenchman told me, 'never allow yourself to become a monument, people piss on them...â€

MR T knows what is up. as inviting as everything seems right now, there are very few companies doing anything new. it's not like i expected to see innovative companies there (never seen so much fake bape shit, in my life--expect supreme graphic ripoffs NEXT show) but the industry is really hurting... innovation starts with quality and function, and as much as i hate to say it, that's why nike still is so big.... and i was surprised to see callous there as it seems they had their distribution already established for the most part.

but at the same time, you really don't need to do much new... if someone could make me plain hooded sweatshirts (blank) with the same vancouver-made quality of the supreme line, a few bucks cheaper, i would be quite the happy gent....

putting together an everyday wardrobe could be so easy but with the concentration on shit that will sell to corny kids just discovering dunks, it sure makes it hard. this coming from a man that has resorted to buying white tees and shrink to fit 501s from jc penny... rhythmandsound and maybe jupes know what's up if no one else.

I AM LEISURE.

Quote: don't get me wrong, but when you say urban, I think rocawear and ecko.

....and when you talk, i think 10 year old pimpled-faced special ed student who got past the parental controls on the family computer while hopped up on dad's stash of colt 45's.

talking like i know everything about everything, making new subjects every 5 minutes, don't care too much for don't care too much for crap's crap.

Thanks for the the responses about some great stores. Keep them coming!

Re: the issue about lack of innovation in t-shirt design. Granted, I did have to sort through quite a few booths that were dedicated to nothing original at both Magic and Pool - but actually I did find some great stuff. As with anything, you had to really try to meet people that care about their craft. And there were kids doing a lot more than most - so I give it up to them. I do know what some of you are talking abot though. What would Che Guevara do had he known he'd be a "hot T-shirt icon".

I deal with more with brands connected to music culture and not so much "sneaker culture" if that helps at all. Also I had some people email me because they do T-shirt design themselves. Let me know if you're a T-shirt designer as well! I'm always down to learn about apparel companies.

All for now.

They sell it at Commonwealth in Norfolk

"He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666" (Rev. 13:16-18).