Has anyone here ever....

damnIam

Has anyone here ever had to work hard...I mean 70+ hour a week at a back breaking, soul sucking, wish you were dead fuck of a job for low pay. I am not hating on those who have had the luxury of trust funds or wealthy benefactors either because that is good for you if it is the case. What I want to know is, did anyone here pay for their own education by working full time while attending school and when they graduated..still working too hard for too little just to pay off student loans? Tell your story. I have just told mine.

During the summer I work 70+ hours a week, plus I have class two nights. Now I go to school for 25, have piles of homework and work 30-35 hours. Fun times....... I'm actually cutting back on working saturday nights, and getting of earlier friday nights so it's gonna be alright.

I just want to be done.

It's not really so bad, I suppose if I didn't have somewhat expensive tastes I could do less work but it's no big deal. Oh and the new gf takes up most of my evenings/sleeping hours.

i work 9-5 out of necessity in a job i despise, classes at night until 10 o'clock some nights, along with an intensive internship that takes up a lot of my free time with internet/library research. a demanding girlfriend that i wish would be a little bit more understanding, and a home life that needs a lot of attention, with my mom not being in the best of health and needing help around the house. and then i attempt to have some sort of life in between the myriad of obligations, but that doesn't really work all the time. i'm a senior right now, i don't know how things are going to go in a year, but if it is at all like this, i see myself dead at 23.

i have worked 50 to 70 hour weeks for the past 6 years. there have been times that ive worked a month straight without a day off. 7am to 5:30 pm every day. i build bridges and highways. sometimes you have to do that.

it at times is soul crushing work, but at times there is nothing more rewarding.

yeah. used to do construction 7 days a week. fixing up trailer parks and shit, waking up at 4:30 AM. working until 7-8 pm.

then, after i got an ejumacation, i worked at an internet startup for maybe a 1.5-2 years, working, honestly, around 15 hours a day--for peanuts. i actually slept in the office on a futon. before they got me the futon, i didn't have a place to stay so i slept on desks and on the floor. took showers in the sink. hooked up with chicks just to have a nice warm place to sleep and a hot shower. i will never, ever live like that again.

after that, i worked at an investment bank. working nights, weekends. they would also call me up a couple times a week in the middle of the night (around 4 AM) to fix production problems. one time, i was working on a huge project, and i didn't leave the office for 3 days. yes, i slept in the office for 2 nights in a row. without changing or showering. i got the job done though and earned mega respect. i was still working for peanuts, though.

god, these are horrible, horrible memories. i'm so glad i'm doing well now.

I worked at this internet company starting at 11pm til around 9am in the morning. With a god awhful bus commute from ghetto ass NYC port authority. I had to edit and record news programs and other audio content for the next morning. I remember eatting dinner around 4am for about a year straight. & I was living with my girlfriend at the time, who had to deal with my crazy sleeping schedule. I recall sleeping under my desk for a 2hour nap every night...

on balance, i'd say i've been pretty damn lucky. my university course involved 10 hours of lectures/seminars a week (english mo' fos, highly recommend it) so i can only sympathise with you guys who study/ied technical stuff - esp. if you held down a job too.

that said, i had to borrow heavily to get by. and six years on i'm still four months away from clearing my student loans.

workwise, all i can say is that it's about keeping your head up for the first few years, busting a nut doing shit work 'til, hopefully, it all pays off. i'm happy with what i do now but in my time i've made pizzas, helped out in a hospital kitchen and worked in a fuck load of bars. happy days.

good god I have nothng to complaiin about reading this... but I feel whiny today:

WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE

I used to work 24 hrs a day 5 days a week at a kids outdoor bio sciences camp and got payed only a measly 50 bucks a day. That was a pretty fun job actually, but I shucked it aside to work in (EXCITING!) L.A. as a lab-jockey. And now I hate my life even more. Working 60-70 hours overtime (due to understaffing) keeping thousands of specimens stained, organized, labeled... not much in terms of physical stress but mental stress from the constant calls from doctors, multiple and sometimes overlapping deadlines, micromanaging from my supervisor, the fear of fucking up someone's slide (EASY TO DO!) therefore their cancer diagnosis was ridiculously maddening. I felt like going back home to mommy every day. I slept in a fetal position nightly for like 5 months untill I got used to it. Now I just kinda feel dead every day untill the weekends where I see my sisters and parents.

With all this work, how am I ever gonna meet a girl? I freakin dream of going back to school just for this sole purpose.

Ah that felt good.

You guys are great. These threads about work and stuff... really a good place for us guys to just let everything out and in turn get some sympathy. Supergay rules.

I would kill to go back to college, but to actually be a real college student. When I was in school I had to work so much that I never really fit in with the college crowd. I feel like I have been an old working man since I was 18. I missed football games and parties and just hanging out with people because I always had to get up early for work. That is so much a part of the real college experience and if you are in college now..like someone said above, Cherish the Experience! Sigh..but alas it was not to be.

good god I have nothng to complaiin about reading this... but I feel whiny today:

WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE

I used to work 24 hrs a day 5 days a week at a kids outdoor bio sciences camp and got payed only a measly 50 bucks a day. That was a pretty fun job actually, but I shucked it aside to work in (EXCITING!) L.A. as a lab-jockey. And now I hate my life even more. Working 60-70 hours overtime (due to understaffing) keeping thousands of specimens stained, organized, labeled... not much in terms of physical stress but mental stress from the constant calls from doctors, multiple and sometimes overlapping deadlines, micromanaging from my supervisor, the fear of fucking up someone's slide (EASY TO DO!) therefore their cancer diagnosis was ridiculously maddening. I felt like going back home to mommy every day. I slept in a fetal position nightly for like 5 months untill I got used to it. Now I just kinda feel dead every day untill the weekends where I see my sisters and parents.

With all this work, how am I ever gonna meet a girl? I freakin dream of going back to school just for this sole purpose.

Ah that felt good.

You guys are great. These threads about work and stuff... really a good place for us guys to just let everything out and in turn get some sympathy. Supergay rules.

consider yourself e-hugged!

consider yourself e-hugged!

from this thread: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=6929&page=6

i love skull. i love shinichi. i love this thread.

[/rant]

Beefcake you are like... full of love ^_^

dvdv6094uf2.jpg

"The man" got his money's worth with me in my last couple of months in the Marines. Days where I would work from 5am to 10pm at night were not uncommon; and days off were few and far between.

It didn't happen real often, but there was times where I'd have to work in excess of 24 hours with little to no sleep. Although that type of shit usually kicked my ass, I cherish those times. They make challenges I face now easier by comparison.

• 1 year later...
I worked at this internet company starting at 11pm til around 9am in the morning. With a god awhful bus commute from ghetto ass NYC port authority. I had to edit and record news programs and other audio content for the next morning. I remember eatting dinner around 4am for about a year straight. & I was living with my girlfriend at the time, who had to deal with my crazy sleeping schedule. I recall sleeping under my desk for a 2hour nap every night...

i do this right now, working 11-7AM

eating lunch at 3 in the morning, dinner at 8 or so

you could do worse, jeepster: i worked on a tall ship last year... most days 7am-9pm (live in the same place you work, no privacy) for $500 a month

outdoors, hands on work, you don't sit down except for maybe a 20 minute meal break between sails

you can do even worse, work on the amistad doing the same thing and not be paid at all

I hustled my junior in college and made about 10k. It was some sleazy multi-level marketing scheme (2by2.net) and I felt awful. I took the money and parlayed it to a tea/coffee shop.

Started off well, and then it started to really suck. The economy was suffering because of the dot com bubble, and most of my partners left.

I slept on my sister's sofa for one year, waking up at 9, and working to 12am. I would get off at 9pm, go to the gym, and then come back to help mop the floor and count the money. THAT IS ONE YEAR OF THAT SHIT. On, weekends I would tutor SATs so that I had money to pay my credit cards. The store made nothing I could call my own.

Finally grew the business to the point where I could sell it without a substantial loss.

Law school seemed like cake money compared to any single day during that one year.

I realize I am a tough motherfucker, and through that experience I am confident as fuck. And I guarantee that is not something you can buy.

I step to motherfuckers and I own the situation.