Levi's 'Workwear' Line Update...

Jim Cissell

I don't know how many folks remember me discussing the new Levi's Workwear Line, but I have an update I thought you'd be interested in. I was finally able to track down a source (Sears on-line, of all places) and ordered a couple pairs of the 505 version.

Let me say these are great jeans! The fabric is a very heavyweight 15oz, all of the major seams (including both inner and outer inseams) are triple stiched, the watch-pocket is larger and MUCH deeper than normal, and the pocket bags themselves are very heavy fabric.

The belt loops are reinforced where they are attached, the waist button is quite unique and attractive, and very well made. One of the best surprises are the hidden rivets on the back pockets! Speaking of rivets, they are nice and subtly different in their own right, with great detailing and color.

They are cut and styled as they say - like the 505s, only with attitude!

I really like them; the weight, the way they hang, the VERY rugged look and feel, and the fact they're simply unique to the Levi's line - made like they're supposed to be - for work.

They're on sale at Sears right now ($28.00) so you may want to jump on them before they're gone (you know how quirky Levi's is with their inventory and product availablility on 'odd' stuff).

Jim

• 1 month later...

I can't believe no one has mentioned the new 'Workwear Collection' from Levi's!

The 505 Workwear model I recently obtained is really nice and unique, and certainly deserves more consideration...

The discription on their website is a tad inaccurate - the jeans don't have a reinforced knee, and the description that JCPennys has on the link isn't accurate either - they don't have the hammer loops.

What they are is a very heavy-duty (15.5 oz denim) pair of standard 505s (with a slightly wider leg opening - almost boot-cut, but straight-legged like the regular 505s) and all of the seams are triple-stitched, which seems like something they should be doing on all jeans, anyway!

The fit was a bit different - I ordered my usual size (a 32'' waist/ 34'' length) and found them to fit rather sugly thru the 'hip' area. The length was very generous, which was nice as I've found Levi's to be kind of skimpy in that department - at least with the assorted 501 models I have purchased in recent years. I reordered and found a 33' waist' to fit just fine. I also ordered a few more pairs for later.

As they are so heavy in fabric weight, I like they way the drape and hang much better than the modern, thinner denims. More substantial, like Wrangler 13MWZs - actually, beefier than those!

The rivet aspect is a nice surprise as well. The rivets are more detailed than their standard fare, and as I stated before, the set of hidden rivets on the back pockets are especially nice! The primary waist button is a very beautiful detail too, and is easy to use due to its concave design.

The generous watch pocket is a nice element too, as it is easier to use, and will allow folks to carry cell phones or iPods in a more convienient place.

Overall, they are a bargain (from Sears anyway, as they put them on sale - I've only found the 505 Workwear versions form Sears and Pennys mail-order departments) and are probably something to score soon as they may be discontinued later (as companies often do with nice, unique lines!). These are truly well-made jeans that belong in any halfway serious collection.

Anyway, between the heavy-weight denim and those durable triple-stitched seams, these are a new Levi's classic!

Later,

Jim

Sorry if this post seems weird, or that I work for Levi's or something.

I just thought it was great that Levi's would even make such a product. I can't tell you how long I've always wanted an 'official' pair of classic-styled Levi's that were both heavy-duty in fabric, and used the triple-stitched construction found on most 'real' work clothing... I also know 505s aren't the prime choice for the authentic denim folks, but as they don't seem to be treating the 501 line in this unique way, this appears to be the closest we'll get...

Jim