funk band in LA

shagnscoob

my friends and i started a funk band awhile back. at the moment we can only play covers but we are starting to write our own stuff at the minute and itll only be a couple weeks before we've got originals as well. we are all 17ish, almost all musicians at school, and we LOVE to play.

basically we want to start getting our music out there, starting to play shows or what have you. anyone have a good idea on how to start? we figure our target audience is anyone who is down to dance.

yeah, seriously. at first, because of the name, i thought it was just a guy making breakbeats (which isn't bad since that was what i was looking for when i found them) but then i listened to them and i was in awe. i just wish they would tour somewhere near me or i lived near where they toured.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in a funk band for about 3 years now. It's mad fun. My advice:

* The drums and bass are the two most important instruments (I'm a trumpeter, so no bias here...). Make sure you guys spend a lot of rehearsal time just locking in a good groove. It's the best part of funk music.

* Yeah, breakestra rule. But also, go back to the original breaks. James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone, Herbie Hancock ('Headhunters' and 'Thrust' are the two best IMO). And new-school wise, you should check out all the soulaquarian's stuff (it's a production team with dudes like Questlove, D'Angelo, Roy Hargrove...). So look for Voodoo by D'Angelo, Mam's Gun by Erykah Badu, Hard Groove by Roy Hargove and the RH Factor.

* A good front-man is a beautiful thing. You need someone to work the crowd a bit, to get them on the floor. He doesn't have to be able to sing that well, just say some corny lines like 'Everybody say all right if you wanna get funked up tonight' (and then get the crowd to say 'alright') etc.

Good luck with it! You guys will have a lot of fun.