DENIM help

so im definately a 'denim s-noob' as abbosed to denim snob... k so im looking on ebay for good denims (jackets or jeans) mainly Levi's stuff... how do i know whats good... and whats shyt... i see that Levi's is sold at zellers and stuff... so i dont wanna buy something n think im rockin crazy denims when i could pick it up at zellers for 9.99.... ive noticed some of you talking of numbers... 501.. n like 201 or something... numbers mean alot?... also i noticed theres like red tab premium red tab orange tab ... what do i look for in that stuff? ENLIGHTEN ME PLEASE

might want to check all the denim-related posts from the past two months. there's been a flurry of discussion. just do a search or scan thru the topics. regarding levis, there's their highly-priced, high-quality LVC (levi's vintage clothing) reproductions of vintage 501's, which most of us on here probably regard highly. Then there are the rigid shrink-to-fit 501's that you can buy at kohl's or mervyn's for $30. I and several other people love those things, but there's other people that wouldn't go near them. like i said, scan and search thru the posts from early this year onward and you'll learn a lot.

lvc series basically details jeans models as historically accurately as possible. The chief suspect is the 501 throughout the ages, from the 'First Blue Jean' model from 1887 (i think) to 1966 i think. This encompasses the transition of the jean through workers pant, rock'n'roll etc, the details change with a second back pocket, a red tab and then a double sided red tab being added. belt loops came in, suspended buttons went out. Rivets were made hidden, then dispensed with altogether. There are also some 201 jeans which were a cheaper jean back in the day, with an oilcloth patch instead of leather and copper alloy rivets instead of pure copper.

Defiantley lots of other good jeans makes around though.

On ebay I run run earches for "big E" and "repro, reproduction" Levi's. I also run searches for selvage. when you look up selvage these ddays you will get about a million hits of Ezra Fitch jeans; those are awful!

BTW the 1937 201 has a leather patch, and I think it's made from deer leather, and they are made with solid copper rivets. The ones Docdoom is describing sound like fakes. Also, be aware of fakes! some guy from Costa Rica sells fakes. they look like 1901 levis but have a red tab and the crotch rivet is not in the right place.

Live is too short for bad denim!

1109561786451_bigEsig.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

I've laid a pair of 47s on top of some RRs. The 47s are slimmer in the thigh by 0.75inch easy. Same size waist (more or less) - although obviously, the LVCs are labled a size up (pre-shrinkage size).

Both jeans worn and washed. Dry sizes would be different.

Edited by ringring on Apr 8, 2005 at 10:13 AM

to see how 1947s fit, look at the pics on these sites

http://levis.wear.jp/item.asp?item_dat_id=3231

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/super-rag/427211/565881/

obviously it depends on your body size etc. but to me, 1947s are the typical regular fit jean - not loose, not really slim, the most 'regular' fitting jeans from the lvc. probably pretty similar to modern 501xx, but it's so long since i had a pair a can't really remember.

Man. the second fella's so skinny I bet even his socks are loose icon_smile.gif

Anyway, compare skinny dude's 47s and Nudie Slim Jims:

http://www.nudiejeans.com/collection/content/01%20slim_jim/picture-slim.jpg

They're similar.

Seriously though, the shrink to fit LVC 47s are pretty slim, not Joey Ramone skinny, but slim for a 501. They are slimmer cut than the LVC 33s, 44s and 55s and are similiar to the 66s.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com have pretty good descriptions of the relative fit of the dry LVCs.

Edited by ringring on Apr 8, 2005 at 02:13 PM

The 1947s in those pictures are definitely slim-fitting.. At least by today's standards, what may have originally been a regular fit is now considered pretty slim, as most guys wear their jeans *way* *too* *baggy*. I consider the RR cut to be slim. Again, the size I ordered may have to do with this.

Away from this argument - the Studio D'Artisan SD-105 looks sweet :-D I want to see what a boot-cut jean looks like with a twisted seam..

I have had 2 pairs of deadstock 1947s and 2 pais of distressed Heyday ones. the pre distressed ones are quite slim and nice fitting, but the DS ones are pretty loose on me. I have tried shrinking one of my DS pairs with soaks in hot water 3 times and they are still pretty loose. I guess it takes a lot of washes to shrink them down. Any advice on how to give them a really good shrink?

I'm not illiterate, I just can't type!

1112216788617_lee1.JPG

Thanks guys, that helped.

I'll try on some Nudie RR's and try and compare them.

I'm not a slim dude, but not fat either. My waist is like a 35, and usually I end up having to get a 36. PRPS one wash fit me in 34. Dope & Drakkar is a little too big in a 36. Rogan is just right in a 36. I am wearing current 'cheap' 501xx's in a 35 and they fit perfect. I think I tried on APC once and it was a little too slim fitting for me.

I like some room in the crotch area. I think I probably like my jeans loose. I guess I cannot shake the baggy clothes/sagging off the ass aesthetic I used to rock in my wayward youth..