Luis Aviaroma and Browns Fashion

Chrome Hearts

Hey guys, I was thinking of making a few purchases from the web sites listed above. I think my order will total around 2000-3000 euros. I was just wondering if any of you have ordered from Luisaviaroma because I want to know what the import tax or duties might be for New York City.

There are some nice Dior clothing that seems cheaper if I purchased from Luis because of the deduction of VAT taxes. But I do not know what the import duty might be so the total price might end up being more expensive than if I purchased here in In Why See.

Thanks in advance.

You'll definitely be charged duty. Around 10%.

There might be some way to get around this, since the fee is charged and leveraged by Fedex, not the US Government. I don't know for sure, though.

Pick me up a pair of 21cm dust wash jeans please... :D

(btw, it's "Luisa Via Roma")

maybe we can ask them to ship EMS rather than fedex?

that would be a great idea. However, their customer service seems a little spotty. Although maybe they'd be more receptive if you're planning to drop the massive amounts of cash the OP is considering....

my experience with them (although I've never ordered) is that they're pretty good about being helpful. Although it took them a week to respond to an email question, they were very friendly and answered all my questions (and promptly, after that).

i think that they'd be open to that suggestion.

I doubt you'll get them to ship via EMS. They want a reliable service with tracking and insurance, since they ship expensive clothes. To the OP, LvR ships via Fedex and they WILL charge you 10% duty. Browns ships via DHL, and I haven't gotten a duty bill when I ordered $250 worth. BTW, you do know that you will get around 20% off in VAT, right?

Argh, 10%? That stinks. An additional 200-300 dollars. But I guess if I drop around 2-3 grand in NYC it sorta evens out due to tax (albeit a little less). I'll contact them to see if there's a loophole around this matter.

Though it seems in the FAQ section, they are rather adamant about the overseas customer forking over some dough for duty.

I ordered the Dior Jap 19 cm denim from Browns Fashion. Ordered a size 28. Will see how it fits. It'll be my initiation into Hedi's look.

Previously, I've always been a fan of the LVC line. I never really like the taper look every since HS. I remember buying Rogans back in '95 because all the other brands that I knew at the time didn't offer bootcut. Then around 96'-97', started wearing Diesel Fankers (bootcut) before that whole male bootcut, bellbottom look (since the 70's) caught on again with mainstream culture (for men) in the late 90's.

Maybe I'll go to Barney's and get a pair of bespoke Earnest Sewn's (don't know if they still offer that) or go to 45rpm's and get a pair of bespoke jeans there.

i've bought things from browns, only to find out later that their items are marked up quite alot. i bought a mac coat that was marked 50 pounds more than harrods/selfridges, which i'm not that happy about.

luisa via roma, i totally recommend them, their service level is high, the girl replied my emails very promptly, and i kept emailing back and forth with more questions, she just kept answering them. in one instance, she even went and consulted the menswear buyer about a particular pair of trousers and suggested me to NOT buy the item, because she felt that wasn't what i wanted from our discussions. i ended buying a t-shirt, packaging and service was still top notch. i plan to visit them in person soon, and the girl i corresponded with through email even offered to accompany me in store when i shop.

Argh, 10%? That stinks. An additional 200-300 dollars. But I guess if I drop around 2-3 grand in NYC it sorta evens out due to tax (albeit a little less). I'll contact them to see if there's a loophole around this matter.

Though it seems in the FAQ section, they are rather adamant about the overseas customer forking over some dough for duty.

I ordered the Dior Jap 19 cm denim from Browns Fashion. Ordered a size 28. Will see how it fits. It'll be my initiation into Hedi's look.

Previously, I've always been a fan of the LVC line. I never really like the taper look every since HS. I remember buying Rogans back in '95 because all the other brands that I knew at the time didn't offer bootcut. Then around 96'-97', started wearing Diesel Fankers (bootcut) before that whole male bootcut, bellbottom look (since the 70's) caught on again with mainstream culture (for men) in the late 90's.

Maybe I'll go to Barney's and get a pair of bespoke Earnest Sewn's (don't know if they still offer that) or go to 45rpm's and get a pair of bespoke jeans there.

let us know if you work out something to get around the duty.

as for 45rpm. are they still doing this in the states? i asked a few people in japan and they don't do it anymore.

Regarding 45rpm, I have no idea. I haven't been in the store for the longest time because of the cuts of jeans they offer. Since they don't offer the cut that I like, the only way for me to wear their jeans is to have it custom made.

I'll make sure to let y'all know how the situation with Luisa via Roma is resolved.

Regarding 45rpm, I have no idea. I haven't been in the store for the longest time because of the cuts of jeans they offer. Since they don't offer the cut that I like, the only way for me to wear their jeans is to have it custom made.

I'll make sure to let y'all know how the situation with Luisa via Roma is resolved.

AFAIK, 45rpm isn't bespoke in terms of cut, its bespoke in terms of wash. They measure where the wear should be and put it through a 2 year, 5 year, or 7 year treatment. I don't know which cut the actual pair is, but they are natural indigo so the umii or jomon would be a natural assumption.

I doubt you'll get them to ship via EMS. They want a reliable service with tracking and insurance, since they ship expensive clothes. To the OP, LvR ships via Fedex and they WILL charge you 10% duty. Browns ships via DHL, and I haven't gotten a duty bill when I ordered $250 worth. BTW, you do know that you will get around 20% off in VAT, right?

EMS has all of those. Probably even better than Fedex.

EMS has all of those. Probably even better than Fedex.

They lose many more packages than Fedex. It's a fact, sad but true. And good luck getting your insurance money, it's a major PITA. That's why Fedex charges more - reliability - it's the same company across the globe, not different post offices in different countries.

They lose many more packages than Fedex. It's a fact, sad but true. And good luck getting your insurance money, it's a major PITA. That's why Fedex charges more - reliability - it's the same company across the globe, not different post offices in different countries.

hm i've mailed 300 or so packages by EMS and not one has gotten lost. oh well, i can see the insurance thing being a problem though. sigh, why does fedex have to ruin a good thing.

So, I received my two items from LvR via Fedex and both cleared customs. One has a Fedex sticker that says "This International package has cleared US Customs. If Customs assesses duties and taxes, you will be billed later." The other package does not have that sticker.

Does anyone with experience receiving LvR or other international Fedex/DHL/UPS packages know what the story is or will be?

So, I received my two items from LvR via Fedex and both cleared customs. One has a Fedex sticker that says "This International package has cleared US Customs. If Customs assesses duties and taxes, you will be billed later." The other package does not have that sticker.

Does anyone with experience receiving LvR or other international Fedex/DHL/UPS packages know what the story is or will be?

Hi!

I think the tax you have to pay, if any, would be dependent on which state you stay in. I would reckon each state have their own tax rate in respect of purchases made from overseas. If you purchase above this amount, you would have to pay tax.

Thats how it works for me.

You will get a separate Fedex bill in the mail. It should be around 10 %.

Hi everyone, here's an update.

So after sending numerous e-mails regarding the Dior Homme products that I want, I finally got a response earlier this week on Thursday.

They will only ship FedEx. They do not know what the duty charge will be. So I called FedEx trying to find out only to be directed to their web site since they supposedly can't give that information out over the telephone. I registered for a FedEx account and the process of figuring out the duty is very very tedious (at least for me it was).

The clothing material is taken into consideration (fur, cotton, nonsynthetic, etc). I had no idea so I eventually gave up. I live in Manhattan so I figure it will be around 10% of the purchase price.

I am pretty psyched considering two of the three items that I ordered were the last ones. Got a Dawn Sports Jacket, a Fleece Chine'hood (last small), and a scarf (last one) from Dior Homme section.

Reason why I got the scarf was because the total for me came out to be 970 Euros after VAT deductions so I was going to be charged the 50 Euro shipping fee. I looked through the accessories section and found the scarf.

I had contemplated getting the Dior Homme trench coat. It's very form fitting and trendy. But I had to be realistic with myself and think about the occasions that I would actually sport the coat.

Btw, I ordered from Browns and it's been over a week and I've yet to hear from them regarding the Dior 19cm jeans. Oh well. Probably clearing customs.

I'll let everyone know how much Duty was levied against me for the purchase from Luisa.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

sorry to dig up this thread, but i recently made an order from LvR on the 4th, I sent them a mail on the 6th and 9th with regards of the orderupdate, but to no avail, anyone knows whats going on? i also have 1 more doubt to clear, which is having fedex to call you, i stay in singapore, is it really nessaccery for FedEx to give me a call to comfirm on certain details, because i passed them my home number but i'm really out most of the time and can only be contacted via mobile, I'm really lost! please help!!!

I assume fedex (or the local courier who delivers the package) calls you to confirm youre home, that way they dont drive to your place if youre not there. if they dont reach you they'll probably send you a notice by mail, thats how its usually done here atleast.

what goes for your order, I doubt anyone here knows whats going on with it, just try to contact them by e-mail or phone.