how cool is johnny depp?

tweeds

is johnny depp one of the coolest actors alive today or what?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. is johnny depp one of the coolest actors alive today or what?

• yes
    • yes
    • very much, undoubtedly and inextricably so

i recently caught the first pirates of the carribean again (i don't like the second one it's too canned slapstick for me) and i was blown away all over again by the talent this man has, and the undoubtably cool way he has of taking a character and wearing it inside out. so i'm going to revisit some of his older movies and feed myself:

edward scissorhands

johnnydeppedwardscissorhandsc10103916.jpg

a bit role in platoon

platoon.jpg

donnie brasco

04_main.jpg

fear and loathing in las vegas

05_main.jpg

corpse bride

2006_CorpseBride2.jpg

and of course pirates.

viv - that's true his recent stuff has been a bit patchy. but i'm not sure he overacts - he's always given me the impression he knows exactly how much he's coming across to the audience, and if (in the case of capt jack sparrow) he crosses the line between believability and farce, he's fully aware of it and in control. it's the mastery of his talents that he possesses that makes me his fan.

i get that same feeling watching older actors/actresses - anthony hopkins, judi dench - who have had their skills mature, flourish and ripen through years of experience.

just my thoughts. :)

I was dreading Fear and Loathing when it came out, as the book had been my favourite ever read as a teenager and I was convinced the movie would ruin it. However, even though Depp played the characted quite different to how I had him in my head, I thought it was brilliant, in fact this thread has made me want to go out and rent it again ...

He's also pretty goofy / self-deprecating, which in itself might be an act, but I'd rather that than the rank pretentiousness that never ceases to irritate that flows out from within Hollywood's ranks.

well said - a wicked sense of humour certainly sets the brilliant apart, and depp has bucketloads of it :)

as a matter of fact i'm not sure i'd call him well-dressed in the conventional sense, he does strange sartorial things that make you raise an eyebrow, an example is his suit at the oscars

johnny_depp127.jpg

but it definitely is original and eyecatching. i guess that's his appeal - boyish and dashing without seeming "hot" like many other celebs try to look?

There was an episode of "Inside the Actors Studio" a few years back with Depp as the guest. I remember at one point he pulled out a pack of rolling tobacco and papers and then proceeded to roll and smoke a cigarette while James Lipton was interviewing him. I always thought that was pretty cool, lol.

good point tip, he certainly is very good at "farce control", I thought he was good in charlie and the chocolate factory despite the original being my favourite film. Of all the real mainstream actors hes certainly one of the coolest and best imo.

Rollies are harsher than cigarettes to me but there is something less chemical about the taste of rollies, and now i dont smoke id rather be around someone smoking a rollies than a cigarette. People say rollies satisfy more so you dont smoke so much.