My New York City Ten

sepia007

I'm going to stay clear of the hot shops, hot restaurants, hot clubs because there are experts at beinghunted.com that know much more than me. I'm going to concentrate on classics that should not be missed.

1. Max Fish Bar

Ludlow Street btw Houston and Stanton.

An institution for the Lower East Side. It was there before Ludlow Street was cool. It will be there when the LES becomes millionaires row as soon as the W hotel is finished by the years end. It's a straight up bar/art gallery with no pretentious bullshit. It's also the biggest casting mecca in Manhattan. I have a good friend that works for viacom/mtv, that get's paid to hang out and drink/polaroid people at this bar. A nice mix of Chloe Sevigny Clones/ Skaters/Drug Addicts/Artists/Rappers/Writers/Junglists/Pool Sharks/Anarchists and good honest people.

http://www.maxfish.com/

2. The Roosevelt Island Tramway

59th Street and 2nd Avenue

Built in 1977, it is one of the quirkiest forms of transportation.. Whoever thought it up, was a genius. It's actually a Ski Tramway from Bern, Switzerland that was bought and shipped over intact. Costs the same as a subway fare,a nd the ride last 3 minutes, but it is essential for the view of Manhattan, 200 feet above the sidewalk. Made famous recently buy a cameo in Spiderman. Get to it, before it falls apart.

http://www.rioc.com

3. Domseys Warehouse Outlet

431 Kent Ave, Brooklyn

Another institution. Hands down the, best thrift store in New York City. You will find everything and anything. I found an old polaroid 195 land camera, that I bought for $15 that turned out to be worth $675 on ebay. I also found a classic mint Evan Lendl Adidas Tracksuit from the 70's for $20. Spend at least half a day here. You will thank me.

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/urban/guides/bestofny/shopping/00/thrift.htm

4. Magnolia Bakery

401 Bleecker Street, near Hudson St.

Without a doubt the best place for Scones, Cupcakes or Irish Soda Bread. It's also open past midnight, which makes it perfect for an end to a drunken evening. The line is almost 20 deep on the weekends.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-1094906-magnolia_bakery_new_york_city-i

5. Kelley & Ping

Greene Street, btw Houston and Prince.

It's half and half Thai/Malay restaurant and asian grocery store during the day. Great masaman curry or even pad thai. They do a great job of asian fusion. Very busy for lunch, but you will have to serve yourself cafeteria style. Everyday there is someone you will recognize. Around the corner from the Soho Apple store and the center of Soho.

http://www.kelleyandping.com/

6. Old Town Bar Tavern

E.18th Street, btw Broadway and Park Ave South.

Around since 1892, this is one of the last classic Pub's left in Manhattan. Everything is mostly intact. Copper inlay ceilings and actual wooden seated booths. Amazing wood wall panelling, back in the days when carpenters hand finished places like this. A real NY history lesson. It has a cameo in the rap video "Jump Around" and the Sean Penn movie "State of Grace". I can recommend the burger & guinness combination.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-1090765-old_town_bar_and_restaurant_new_york_city-i

7. The Strand Bookstore

Broadway at the corner of 12th Street.

Open since 1927, this is another place like Domseys, where you need at least 2 hours. They have amazing stuff, like old JC Penney catalogs from the 70's, as well as more current stuff like the latest Michael Lau/ Kubrick/Kaws books. A real treasure chest if you

• 4 months later...

New York on the Glam Cheap side...

I'll add that the Strand, Domseys, and Rosevelt Island Tram are a must, but would avoid Rao's and CBGBs like the plague- too many squares and wannabees at both.

Chinatown:

1)Pearl River Mart

All the quality Chinese Goods you could need. Good selection of porcelain, chinese clothing, teas, small furniture, and other souvenirs. Best prices.

277 Canal Street, (212) 431-4770

2)Chinatown Bakeries

60c pastries, anyone? Mango Balls are a must!

Lung Moon Bakery

83 Mulberry St

But there are many others, Like Tai Pan and Maria's

3)Staten Island Ferry

Free trip to staten Island on a ferry. Beautiful view of the city.

Whitehall Terminal at Whitehall St. and South St., in Lower Manhattan.

The Staten Island Ferry is the main mode of transportation between the boroughs of Staten Island and Manhattan. During the 25 minute ride, you'll pass Governor's Island and the Statue of Liberty. Best of all, the ferry is now FREE!!!

The Ferry is within a short walking distance from the 1, 9, 4, 5, N, R subway lines as well as the M1, M6 and M15 bus lines.

4)Chinatown Bus Lines

Just search for New York Chinatown Bus and pick your destination. Some go to Boston for $20 roundtrip!

Fung Wah is the most famous.

http://www.fungwahbus.com/

Other Stuff:

5)The Metropolitan Museum

It's suggested donation, so if you're strapped for cash, just give $1 and be ashamed of yourself

6)The museum of Natural History

Same thing, suggested donation....

Did you see the Whale?

8)Ok, back to chinatown

Dumpling House

Dumpling House

118 Eldridge St (Between Broome and Grand Sts.)

212-625-8008

The entire staff of Tokyon is seen here with alarming regularity. The owners got so tired of hipsters that they stopped making vegetarian dumplings. The hipsters moan and groan, and go for the sesame pancakes.

This is a MUST.

9)The Buffet

195 centre street[between howard + canal] chinatown nyc

http://www.superfuture.com/city/reviews/review.cfm?id=1126〈=EN

New York on the Glam Cheap side...

I'll add that the Strand, Domseys, and Rosevelt Island Tram are a must, but would avoid Rao's and CBGBs like the plague- too many squares and wannabees at both.

Chinatown:

1)Pearl River Mart

All the quality Chinese Goods you could need. Good selection of porcelain, chinese clothing, teas, small furniture, and other souvenirs. Best prices.

277 Canal Street, (212) 431-4770

2)Chinatown Bakeries

60c pastries, anyone? Mango Balls are a must!

Lung Moon Bakery

83 Mulberry St

But there are many others, Like Tai Pan and Maria's

3)Staten Island Ferry

Free trip to staten Island on a ferry. Beautiful view of the city.

Whitehall Terminal at Whitehall St. and South St., in Lower Manhattan.

4)Chinatown Bus Lines

Just search for New York Chinatown Bus and pick your destination. Some go to Boston for $20 roundtrip!

Fung Wah is the most famous.

http://www.fungwahbus.com/

Other Stuff:

5)The Metropolitan Museum

It's suggested donation, so if you're strapped for cash, just give $1 and be ashamed of yourself

6)The museum of Natural History

Same thing, suggested donation....

Did you see the Whale?

7)Dumpling House

118 Eldridge St,

The entire staff of Tokyon can be see here with alarming regularity.

Great $1 dumplings and 50 cent sesame pancakes.

The Chinatown Buffet

It's even been reviewed right here!

http://www.superfuture.com/city/reviews/review.cfm?id=1126〈=EN

Centre Street

http://tattoonewyork.comTattoo New York

[

Edited by Sky on Jun 3, 2004 at 09:20 PM

• 2 months later...

first time i went to cbgb i told a friend ... his response was "oh, i'm sorry." haha.

kelley and ping is okay...not my pick for asian food tho.

1. sugar sweet sunshine

126 rivington street

sister bakery to magnolia

2. caracas arepas bar

east 7th st at 1st ave

tiny venezuelan joint - arepas, empanadas, dessert. filling and very reasonably priced.

3. chikalicious dessert bar

east 10th at 2nd ave

3 course prix-fixe dessert - try the darjeeling panna cotta and peach sorbet. i went there with a friend and had my own dessert and he ordered the panna cotta and i ate most of it. oops.

4. the cloisters

fort tryon park

semi-outdoor gothic museum - escape from the city within the city. closes early, so it's something to do during the day. a nice change from shopping :P

5. free internet at the mac store.

6. typhoon lounge

st. marks place at 1st ave

quite possibly my favorite japanese restaurant in nyc.

7. yakitori taisho

st. marks place at 3rd ave

comes in a very close second.

8. ino

95 bedford

wine bar + bruschettas, panini and tramezzini. antipasto platters. super reasonable and really really good - used to come at least once a week when i lived on the west side.

inoteca

98 rivington

sister restaurant to ino - more variety in food and wine but also a little pricier. great atmosphere.

9. chinese food

congee village

100 allen st.

good for groups. karaoke downstairs. food is good and cheap.

for dimsum, jing fong

on elizabeth below canal

10. mamoun's falafel

119 macdougal

open late, til 5am - great place to go after partying, plus it's dirt cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

- ----

Whitney Museum [The Whitney Biennial is not to be missed. Although last years was kind of dissapointing.]

Cloisters [for a relaxing place to make out with your boyfriend]

Babes in Toyland [dildos+]

Commes des Garcons [can't afford it, but the architecture of the clothing is incredible, the interior is great too. beware the door whore]

DIA Center [closed for renovations till next year, but great exhibitions, great rooftop space]

Meatpacking District [if you go late in the evening you can still see the Transvestite prostitutes walking down Washington by Gansevoort street] [Note: Liberty Inn, 500 w 14th street still rents by the hour]

Pierogi [n 9th street w of Bedford Ave, Williamsburg. The original Williamsburg Art Gallery]

Galanga [w 4th street + sixth ave, probably my favorite Thai place in Manhattan. The people who own this place are super friendly]

Strand Books [b'way + 13th street I think] [also a branch downtown by Wall Street, less selection, no ambience though]

Avoid!

Guggenheim [student tickets are $12 a piece, I thought that was bad until MoMA opened again. ouch! whatever happened to accessible art?]

CBGB [if I want to spend my evening with suburban NJ 20 somethings I'll go to Hoboken]

Remote Bar [or any other bar on the Bowery inhabited by models or other fashionista trash]

- ----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

- printed matter (non syndicated art books and publications) on 22nd

- shakespeare and co on broadway + other music almost around the corner

- tomoe sushi on thompson

- apt bar in meatpacking district

- seize sur vingt (bespoke shirts on elizabeth st) + cafe cuba down the block. go further down to public for the best brunch in the world

- grocery shopping on garden of eden on 13th st/union sq.

• 2 weeks later...

National Arts Club on southside of Gramercy Park

Ida Maes on a Friday night at 38th between Broadway and 6th

Lobby of the Chrsyler Building

Polka Dot Cake Studio - Bleecker and Grove just down from over-rated Magnolia

Pink Elephant Club - you should know where

Clearly First store - 980 madison

The "Beach" right at the end of Metropolitan St in Williamsburg on a summer night

Four Seasons restaurant - try the pre theatre dinner at $55

Empire Diner - for Woody Allen's Manhattan and MIB

Balthazar for breakfast

Milk & Honey, LES - take Sasha a bottle of Havana Club

Abracadabra store on w21st

Skating at the Rockefeller then off to..

American Girl Place restaurant - surreal place for a date

Buskers in the subway at Herald Square

Adrian Wilson

Interior and Architectural Photographer

www.interiorphotography.net

• 5 months later...