Filipino Food Shit Talking Thread

I feel like your digging for someone to say "yeah you're right dude, Filipino food rocks."

I disagree, at least in Canada. Our most celebrated ethnic food restaurants don't really change to suit western palates. Hoi Tong is just a rinky dinky little place run by a Chinese grandpa and grandma serving stuff they grew up with. Equivalents exist for Japanese food. Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese (sorta) have a much lower focus on preserved food and offal which helps them gain popularity in the west. As a Chinaman I hate that salted pork and fish shit no matter who makes it.

word.  i made a similar example using sushi, but the op failed to comment about it...probably just ignored it.

I see.  Just never really seen a fusion version of adobo.  Its a pretty simple dish and I find it myself boring.

As far as being to vinegary, that's just a product of people making it differently and not so much as its more authentic and thus not fusion.  Some grandmas or lolas as we like to call them just add more soy sauce, some add more vinegar, its just varies depending on the taste of the person making it.

damn dude, what' wrong w/ you?

you asked me for an example.  i gave it.

i had adobo-fusion-whatever at alan wong's.

i had the "authentic" adobo made by a filipino grandma for all the 20 relatives living in that filipino house-commune-whatever.  my homeboy had taken me to a flip cock fight and invited me over for a traditional dinner.  his family didn't even know i was coming by.

from an american perspective i did not like grandma-manilla's adobo.  the other members of her fam did. and all 20 of them were filipino.

i didn't really love the adobo-fusion i ate, but in comparison it killed lola's shit, ok?  

and that's just he way it is.

I feel like your digging for someone to say "yeah you're right dude, Filipino food rocks."

I disagree, at least in Canada. Our most celebrated ethnic food restaurants don't really change to suit western palates. Hoi Tong is just a rinky dinky little place run by a Chinese grandpa and grandma serving stuff they grew up with. Equivalents exist for Japanese food. Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese (sorta) have a much lower focus on preserved food and offal which helps them gain popularity in the west. As a Chinaman I hate that salted pork and fish shit no matter who makes it.

How many times have I said that Filipino food is subpar compared to its asian counterparts.  Read my post again, I don't want to take time out to quote myself.  I even mentioned numerous times that I don't think myself that it will become a mainstream cuisine.  Did you even bother reading the opening post?

Just because I'm not screaming out that Filipino food SUCKS doesn't mean that I think that it ROCKS... :rolleyes:

Edited by Fourtyounce48

Did you know that Thai food in the US has also been americanized to the western palate?  

Thai food for the masses caught on partly because they could get away with removing the pungent and fishy flavors and amping up the sweetness

did you know that there is authentic thai food free from bastardization (and the liberal implementation of non thai cuisine), that stands alone on it's own to feet, and that does quite well in america?

hitler didn't take over asia.

and while i don't take offense at being likened to the fuhrer, i don't appreciate yr shitty hostility.  you made a pretty shitty thread that i actually took the time to post in.  you don't like my answers, tough titty.  no need to go all queen bitch about shit.

lol, relax my nig, im just fuxing with you.

listen we both agree that filipino is nothing to scream about.  i just disagree with you that it sucks.

did you know that there is authentic thai food free from bastardization (and the liberal implementation of non thai cuisine), that stands alone on it's own to feet, and that does quite well in america?

wait, are you implying that thai food is generally better than filipino food???

crazy...

damn dude, what' wrong w/ you?

you asked me for an example.  i gave it.

i had adobo-fusion-whatever at alan wong's.

i had the "authentic" adobo made by a filipino grandma for all the 20 relatives living in that filipino house-commune-whatever.  my homeboy had taken me to a flip cock fight and invited me over for a traditional dinner.  his family didn't even know i was coming by.

from an american perspective i did not like grandma-manilla's adobo.  the other members of her fam did. and all 20 of them were filipino.

i didn't really love the adobo-fusion i ate, but in comparison it killed lola's shit, ok?  

and that's just he way it is.

nothings wrong man, im just not trying to change your opinion on filipino food.  i respect your opinion.  it just seems like you want me to say it sucks when i dont feel that way.

crazy...

i'm not implying that in the least.  your thread is about whether or not filipino food can take off or do well in the u.s.

it's not about what is better.  it's about what DOES better in america.  can you please try to forget that you're filipino before commenting?

i'm not implying that in the least.  your thread is about whether or not filipino food can take off or do well in the u.s.

it's not about what is better.  it's about what DOES better in america.  can you please try to forget that you're filipino before commenting?

no need to forget my ethnicity, i take no pride or prejudice discussing the merits of filipino food.  i dont know where you get the impression that i do.

nothings wrong man, im just not trying to change your opinion on filipino food.  i respect your opinion.  it just seems like you want me to say it sucks when i dont feel that way.

shiiiititfuckfhitfuck

it's not about whether it sucks.  you should re-read your first post then all of mine.  for the last time, my opinion is that filipino food (authentic) just doesn't and can't translate to that of the collective palate of america.  you posed the question.  i have answered.  

no need to forget my ethnicity, i take no pride or prejudice discussing the merits of filipino food.  i dont know where you get the impression that i do.

it seems like you're being biased, but if not ok good.

i get that impression because you seem to be unable (rather you seem unwilling) to use simple logic in a thread which you created.

crazy...

i lived in rural northern thailand for a year and i was eating eight times a day. food there is so good and so cheap it's not even funny.

here's why filipino food's having difficulty taking off (don't even know if it even stands a chance) in the US

first off it's like i said; it doesn't really have its own unique identity, instead being this weird hodgepodge of things (still doesn't change my love for some of what i've had)

more notably is the pinoy nature to overadjust to wherever they move to (yes there may be exceptions to the rule) as in the stereotypical case of that cousin who moved to the us and when he came back he was fil-am as fuk talking like some kinda wack-ass cali cool du or sum shit

apply that principle to our/their food and it loses what little identity it has further.

yes, i like filipino food. is it better or worse than anything? who's to say? who gives a shit? different things are different things; no more and no less. 

why don't you just suggest pinikpikan as next big dish in US? the nature of its preparation will be so controversial EVERYONE will know about flip food 

you know how dem pinoys love dat controversy

shiiiititfuckfhitfuck

it's not about whether it sucks.  you should re-read your first post then all of mine.  for the last time, my opinion is that filipino food (authentic) just doesn't and can't translate to that of the collective palate of america.  you posed the question.  i have answered.  

the thing is that you just didnt say it wont translate to the american palate.  you said much more than that.  you said its primitive and that its like putting some silk hat on a pig.  youve basically been deragatory on your opinion of it.

youve not only implied it you basically said it and i agreed with you that other asian cuisine such as thai is better.

i get that impression because you seem to be unable (rather you seem unwilling) to use simple logic in a thread which you created.

or maybe your failing to comprehend what ive written down.  you may also have just misunderstood.  ive been pretty neutral in the subject where ive said myself that the cuisine is subar while not totally trashing it like you have.

i lived in rural northern thailand for a year and i was eating eight times a day. food there is so good and so cheap it's not even funny.

here's why filipino food's having difficulty taking off (don't even know if it even stands a chance) in the US

first off it's like i said; it doesn't really have its own unique identity, instead being this weird hodgepodge of things (still doesn't change my love for some of what i've had)

more notably is the pinoy nature to overadjust to wherever they move to (yes there may be exceptions to the rule) as in the stereotypical case of that cousin who moved to the us and when he came back he was fil-am as fuk talking like some kinda wack-ass cali cool du or sum shit

apply that principle to our/their food and it loses what little identity it has further.

yes, i like filipino food. is it better or worse than anything? who's to say? who gives a shit? different things are different things; no more and no less. 

why don't you just suggest pinikpikan as next big dish in US? the nature of its preparation will be so controversial EVERYONE will know about flip food 

you know how dem pinoys love dat controversy

lol, i think you mightve nailed it.

woogle/sschadenfreude pokes fun at a lot of shit all the time and the bluntness among other things is why he's a cool du in my books

saying "putting a silk hat on a pig" is basically another way of saying "attempting to disguise the crude/simple nature of filipino food"

detach yourself from any personal feelings or biases, rly. too many of us get fired up over the smallest potshots or miscommunications re: our culture/our people/our food/etc etc etc dem pinoys gotta learn how da fuk to relax
think whatever you want to of the connotations of such a statement; ultimately i think it was simply his choice of words or method of getting a point across

Edited by gndmshtlrd

for example there is authentic chinese, japanese, thai, etc foods that have translated well overseas.  many are very successful in the u.s.a.  they have no need of other ethnic influences.

the two examples you gave me just reaffirm my original opinion that without the  crutch of outside influence, technique, et, that filipino cuisine is pretty much unmarketable in the u.s. to the nonfilipino.

in so many words i did.  and this is just one example in this thread.

remember i didnt disagree with the notion that it wont translate or that its in the level of other asian cuisines.  ive just mentioned some things about reinterpreting it or defending that its not as bad as shit.

from that you seem to get the idea that i love all things filipino.

woogle/sschadenfreude pokes fun at a lot of shit all the time and the bluntness among other things is why he's a cool du in my books

saying "putting a silk hat on a pig" is basically another way of saying "attempting to disguise the crude/simple nature of filipino food"

detach yourself from any personal feelings or biases, rly. too many of us get fired up over the smallest potshots or miscommunications re: our culture/our people/our food/etc etc etc dem pinoys gotta learn how da fuk to relax

think whatever you want to of the connotations of such a statement; ultimately i think it was simply his choice of words or method of getting a point across

yah i agree i kind of got that same impression

filipinos  have fucked up cooking they dont eat rare foods all they eat are over cooked over flavored shits. which i hate. and most of girls have big  tummys because of the fish sauce and rice. nuff said mods close this shit up!

kilawin is pretty much cerviche.

but i think youre in the right direction.

youve not only implied it you basically said it and i agreed with you that other asian cuisine such as thai is better.

please site an example.  for the last last last time, i was under the impression that the thread was not about what was better, but what DOES better in america.  if filipino food can or can't.

please site an example.  for the last last last time, i was under the impression that the thread was not about what was better, but what DOES better in america.  if filipino food can or can't.

overall all i think your people's food isn't that good.  only shit that i thought was okay was lechun and hollow x2.

it's next to impossible to "elevate" filipino food, because let's face it most of the shit is primitive.  it's like putting a silk hat on a pig

i can never be the judge of to whether shit is "good" because i am not filipino and didn't grow up with it.  my filipino pals said that the shit they were feeding me was authentic and they enjoyed it.  and how do you know i've only had a "small sample???"

this is just an assumption. 

put it this way, i had alota white friends who loved california style fusion sushi.  some of them then got to have some real authentic shit.  they actually loved it, and now prefer it to that americanized stuff.

i've had fusion filipino food.  it was just ok.  then i had real filipino food.  guess what? i liked the fusion shit better.

you make a judgement call and say its no good then you say people cant judge if its good because its a matter of perspective.

filipinos  have fucked up cooking they dont eat rare foods all they eat are over cooked over flavored shits. which i hate. and most of girls have big  tummys because of the fish sauce and rice. nuff said mods close this shit up!

LMFAO.

agreed.

while subtle to the common pleb, there is a difference between "overall all i think yr people's food isn't that good" vs. saying "it's no good (which i never said)."

"overall i think..."  meaning my opinion.  i then say i cannot be the judge (in reference too) what filipinos think about filipino food, but ultimately that doesn't really matter since we're talking about whether or not filipino food would do well in america (of course we must compare it with the cuisine of other asian immigrants).  i was trying to be amicable.  it might be the shit to you people, but can it take off in america?  

Edited by SSchadenfreude

while subtle to the common pleb, there is a difference between "overall all i think yr people's food isn't that good" vs. saying "it's no good (which i never said)."

"overall i think..."  meaning my opinion.  i then say i cannot be the judge (in reference too) what filipinos think about filipino food, but ultimately that doesn't really matter since we're talking about whether or not filipino food would do well in america (of course we must compare it with the cuisine of other asian immigrants).  i was trying to be amicable.  it might be the shit to you people, but can it take off in america?  

What are people perception of Filipino food? Why hasn't it caught on the way other Asian cuisines has in the US?

Andrew Zimmern has mentioned that he believes Filipino cuisine is the next big thing for the US food scene. Having grown up eating Filipino dishes and believing that it does have a lot to offer I don't see this happening.

As much as I love my culture's food it's not the most sophisticated cuisine. I liken it to soul food of the south. It's comfort food. I noticed many restaurants trying to "elevate" it by trying to make it fancy food. I think this is the wrong approach. It's not meant to be eaten this way. To truly elevate a filipino dish, all that's truly needed would be to use the best ingredients possible.

^yeah i have. i tried both of those soups at a filipino friend's filipino fiesta.  didn't care for them.  lumpia was okay, but i'd rather just eat chinese or vietnamese ones.  bbq meat's, yeah, but imo other countries do it way better.

this is just my opinion though, so if you like this shit thats fine.  it seems to me that you're straying from your thread's intent.  can filipino food be "elevated?"  or why hasn't it "caught on" in the u.s. like that of other asian ethnic cuisines?

you said that to truly "elevate" a dish, that fresh produce is needed.  that's such a blanket statement.

it really comes down to what you mean by "elevate." you're right,  it can't be "fancy."  filipino food imo can never be haute cuisine, "fine dining," etc.it hasn't "caught on" , because there isn't much appeal.  why would there be?  it lacks in universal sophistication and aesthetics that are marketable in most 1st world countries.  

i have to ask,  do you truly give a shit if filipino food get's popular in america? or do you want a couple of filipino patriots on this site to tell you that your country's food is good or something?

point taken.

Looking at the bolded statements how did you get the impression this was the case?

I think we are in partial agreement and was wondering where the disconnect was coming from.