Stores with the Best/Worst Service

Guest Fade to Black

^^^^^what did you say when you confronted him?

I just went in there with more of an 'alpha' attitude and acted like I belonged there. I started talking to the guy who was grillin me from the first time. He turned out to be cool. I think it helped that I was specifically looking for a pair of shoes.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best:

Huf (SF) - I'm surprised that people say the workers there have so much attitude. I drop in once every couple of weeks and they've never been rude to me. It may have something to do w/ the fact that I've been a regular since they opened although I've never seen any of the workers be rude to anyone while I've been in there. It must happen though 'cause I keep hearing stories.

Classic Kicks & DQM (NYC)- Good people. When I'm visiting NYC, I stop at both spots.

2A (NYC) - For some reason, I always find myself in there when I'm in NYC. Last time I was in there I had the best time just talking to the bartender and anyone else. The bartender started comping gin & tonics. Really nice staff and customers.

Neiman Marcus & Nordstrom (SF) - Always friendly even when it's clear I'm not going to buy anything that day.

Worst:

Gimme Shoe (SF/Union Sq.) - Crazy attitude from some random girl in there. You sell shoes and you're not fine so you can't give me any attitude.

Supreme (NYC) - I really like Supreme gear and to be fair, they were indifferent to me which I can take. What I will always remember though, is a guy who works there literally SCREAMING in a Japanese guys face. Screaming at someone doesn't make them understand. I walked in the middle of it so I don't know what happened but I will not forget that.

Molinari Deli (SF) - Take a number and if you're having a sandwich, pick out your bread from the bin BEFORE they call your number. If you don't...NO SANDWICH FOR YOU! COME BACK, ONE YEAR!!!!!

Just kidding. BEST meatball sandwich in SF, hands down.

for Seattle:

best:

Kuhlman's in Belltown- I shot the shit for about 20 minutes yesterday with the owners and I didnt even buy anything! Plus theyre giving me 10% off whatever I want if I come back soon. Score!

Marios on 6th- Theyll call you if they cant help you with something you need that day. Awesome.

David Lawrence on 4th- The sales staff with talk your ear off. Theyre pretty passionate about their stock. Good people.

Ian in Belltown- These guys always say hello and are pretty much down to tell you all about any of the brands they carry. Plus theyll usually compliment your clothes you wear into the store. Genius.

Barney's on 5th- Theyll swarm to help you out normally. Plus theyre very down-to-earth cats. And I dont know if all Barney's do this, but the sales people send you handwritten "come back soon" cards in your mail if you purchase from them.

Nordstrom flagship- Awesome service especially in the shoes section.

Goods on Capitol Hill- The upper part of the store is always down to help you out if you cant find something and always down-to-earth. Can't find the Maiden Noir you want? They can probably tell you right away when it will come in.

Tatters on Mercer Island- This is a girl's store and I have no reason to go, but I met the owner at a runway show last month and she was an amazing lady. If I had a wifey Id let her blow my paycheck there.

Worst:

Riveted on the West Edge- The dude won't talk or acknowledge you for anything. Lame. I wish the clothes made up for it, but no.

Moda in Belltown- I dont even know why I was in there...

Supreme NYC- I've always had great service in there. This dude Charles that works in there is super nice and had a nice conversation with him once. He gave me some stickers too. I think they kinda like seeing actual skaters rather than hypebeasts.

Huf Sutter- Great service. I actually got to talk with Keith Hufnagel for a half hour and he was super nice. The 2 other guys working in there were real nice too.

Nort NYC- Horrible service. The dude in their was just yelling shit the whole time and paid my friend and I no attention.

IN LA -

Best: HTC on Beverly/Martel. Scott and Ambie there are really, really helpful and very nice people that make shopping there really pleasant.

Worst: the worst fucking people work at fred segal and barney's in south coast. they don't seem to know anything about any of their products most of the time and anything opposite of this description is usually a rarity.

i also thought i'd add in Factory People...i've ordered online from them and they're quick, responsive and nice.

Guest Montreal

Alife Vancouver

I see a *LOT* of you guys talking about how you've gotten bad service from Alife and whatnot, but are you guys talking about the NYC spot or the Vancouver spot? The Vancouver spot has been nothing but great to me. The manager constantly emails me with updates on gear, drops, parties, etc. I actually picked up a couple of things this weekend and the sales woman was *SO* friendly that I am almost inclined to go back tomorrow just to chat with her.

But to the dude who said he sensed some attitude from one of the workers with respect to his friends who were not into streetwear.. I went to the Ari Menthol launch about a month back with one of my boys who knows an employee at Alife, along with two other kids who are straight out of the 'burbs (I'm talkin' button-downs, Gap jeans, white AF1 lows.. you know the kind) and it was painful being at that party. We were getting looks left, right, and centre. But I can't say I was suprised. But it's times like that when I take a step back and really evaluate myself and my life.. do I really want to be associated with people that judge others just based on what they wear? That's why I don't like going to these parties because you are being judged the entire time you are there and myself personally, I don't dress for anyone but myself so if I want to wear Champion sweatpants and flip-flops to one of these parties, I'm going to.

Guest Montreal
i also thought i'd add in Factory People...i've ordered online from them and they're quick, responsive and nice.

Co-sign.

I made a phone order with them a couple of weeks ago and the guy on the phone was more than helpful. I personally don't like doing phone orders, but I will certainly make an exception with Factory People.

Alife Vancouver

I see a *LOT* of you guys talking about how you've gotten bad service from Alife and whatnot, but are you guys talking about the NYC spot or the Vancouver spot? The Vancouver spot has been nothing but great to me. The manager constantly emails me with updates on gear, drops, parties, etc. I actually picked up a couple of things this weekend and the sales woman was *SO* friendly that I am almost inclined to go back tomorrow just to chat with her.

But to the dude who said he sensed some attitude from one of the workers with respect to his friends who were not into streetwear.. I went to the Ari Menthol launch about a month back with one of my boys who knows an employee at Alife, along with two other kids who are straight out of the 'burbs (I'm talkin' button-downs, Gap jeans, white AF1 lows.. you know the kind) and it was painful being at that party. We were getting looks left, right, and centre. But I can't say I was suprised. But it's times like that when I take a step back and really evaluate myself and my life.. do I really want to be associated with people that judge others just based on what they wear? That's why I don't like going to these parties because you are being judged the entire time you are there and myself personally, I don't dress for anyone but myself so if I want to wear Champion sweatpants and flip-flops to one of these parties, I'm going to.

Totally agree with you.

Guest Fade to Black
Alife Vancouver

But it's times like that when I take a step back and really evaluate myself and my life.. do I really want to be associated with people that judge others just based on what they wear? That's why I don't like going to these parties because you are being judged the entire time you are there and myself personally, I don't dress for anyone but myself so if I want to wear Champion sweatpants and flip-flops to one of these parties, I'm going to.

That's a good perspective. I went to a party for Y's in Hong Kong a few weeks ago, there was going to be a runway presentation and the media and all that, but when I went there I felt like i was being sized up by everyone the whole time and it got pointless, so i just left before the thing even started. Fashion parties/scene in general strikes me as especially superficial, so while I enjoy clothes personally for myself I probably wouldn't want to immerse myself fully into that culture.

I like APC in Silvercord, there's two girls there who are really nice and quite helpful, and one was quite stunning, I might say. That one offered to deliver some pieces to my hotel, because the stuff I wanted wasn't in-store and was stuck out in Causeway Bay.

PS in Shibuya has pretty decent staff too, when I used to frequent it there was always a guy there who knew me, whether it was a week or two months when I'd last been there. He spoke decent English and always made sure I got what I was looking for, made some good recommendations without going overboard. The guys upstairs in the suit section were pretty nice too, even dealing with the more big-ticket items... (still love those fullcut Crockett & Jones X PS Japan shoes....)

I've been in Asia for the past 3 or 4 years so good shop service kind of goes over my head because I'm used to it now with all the bowing and relentless attention, but the bad service is definitely a shocker...

^ where's yamane in CWB?

anyways, yeah, APC has pretty good service, but they sometimes do that creepy shadow you while you browse (well, most SA's do that in HKG) - and if you suddenly stop or turn around, they're RIGHT THERE in your face.

oh, and someone mentioned footpatrol above - yes, they are super cool there.

Best lately for me have been Denimbar and Blue in Greene.

Supreme NY has always been fine for me. Same with BWS.

My only bad experience was actually at 45rpm. I think the incense irritated my throat. Otherwise, class act all the way.

Yeah, incense does the same thing to me. I was at a vintage/thrift store where they were burning incense and I had to step outside every couple of minutes. You got to suffer for those good finds, though.

Too many bad experiences in stores (especially dept. stores) where staff generally ignore me or barely acknowledge me then walk past me to ask a white/euro customer if they need help. Having said that, I'll just focus on my favorites spots.

American Rag (SF): Friendly and attentive staff who'll actually make conversation with you and let you know about cool new things that are coming in (like selvage Cheap Mondays, so I was told last week). During my last visit there, despite a 50% off sale happening, the woman ringing me up was really cool and talkative. I asked her about where they get their vintage stuff from, which sparked a nice little coversation.

Rolo SOMA + Rolo Garage (SF): the first time going in to Rolo SOMA, I was madd intimidated. But people there are generally nice and say hi and can be helpful if you ask without ever putting pressure on you to buy. Their good on the phone too. I've called them once to put something on hold, to ask for a good tailor, a good dry cleaner and they've always obliged no questions asked. The folks at Rolo Garage are always really chill too.

Azalea (SF): A boutiquey joint on hayes, a shopping area where one can expect some uppity attitudes. I bought my APC NS's there back when they were still $120. Really helpfull and enthusiastic staff. The woman helping me advised me to size down and also told me about much they stretch out. I still wound up buying the wrong size (my own stupidity) and when I called to tell them they found the size i wanted and automatically put them on hold for me.

Loehman's (SF): Just the way I like my dept. store, no one says shit to you and just stays out of your way. Your only there for the goods. No questions asked when you return something and exchange for something else 5 times over. your free to try on whatever you like how ever much you want. A bargain shoppers paradise ;-)

I like APC in Silvercord, there's two girls there who are really nice and quite helpful, and one was quite stunning, I might say. That one offered to deliver some pieces to my hotel, because the stuff I wanted wasn't in-store and was stuck out in Causeway Bay.

When I went, there was only this dude there.. and all he did was shadow me and didn't say a word. None the less, I plan to go back in the future anyway.

9/10 of the salespeople at barney's coop in south coast are complete jackasses. they look at what you are wearing and either go for your balls or completely ignore you. i went in wearing nudies and a bbc shirt and they threw themselves at me. went in the following week in shorts and some slipons and it took me 20 minutes to get a salesperson to help me, who then promptly said shed find someone else to help me before she went completely awol. however, there is one chick who is completely cool and always helping, recommending other things i might not have seen and letting me in on any sales/clearances they are having. but if it wasnt for her i would want to burn the place down.

Stores w/ the best S.A.'s who know their shit:

HTC stand alone store near La Brea (sometimes the one in Fred Seagals Santa Monica is good) and Yoko Devereaux in Brooklyn. I.E. They're also dangerous to your wallet. These peeps are super helpful and know alot about their product. The gal at HTC was a big fan of Cloak and almost had me drop a K at the store. The (Fabulous!) guys that work at Barneys Beverly Hills have been usually on the up and up on stock and designers the few times I've been there. They also seem to stay pleasant even though I'm in my rags or scrubs.

• 4 weeks later...
stel's in boston, both the woman and the guy that work here are awesome, i wore a beat up pair of APC's in there last summer and she was yelling at the other worker that he had washed his too early. really friendly staff

I second this. Tina is totally awesome. They also occasionally have art shows here, which are always a really good time. They also like to support local bands. The whole store is just really relaxed.

I'll add Riccardi to this list as well. Everyone I've dealt with there has been super-helpful and friendly.

Best Service...

Blonde Venus / The Outpost (here in brisbane).

The owners and employees are just so nice, and so helpful. they never get annoyed or snobby and within minutes they will be talking to you about anything. they even have a myspace and send out bulletins whenever new clothes get dropped off. if you guys are ever in brisbane make sure to check them out.

Good stores:

American Rag La Brea- The girl who helped me over by the denim section was very helpful.

UNDFTD- I have been in there a few times in the past 2 weeks and each time got impecable service.

Ron Herman Melrose- Girl working at the denim bar was extremely helpful and was very knowledgeable about thier denim. Also, they didn't have Nudi RRDS in stock, but thier buyer was there and just so happened to have a secret stash with him. :)

The bad-

Supreme LA- Probably needless to say, but this store knows nothing of customer service. I would say it is kind of nice to walk around in the store and not be bothered, but it also feels like whenever someone walks in, the employees act as though they are a waste of time.

Bloor St. in general has pretty arrogant salespeople I find. It's even worse in Toronto than it is in New York these days...

this is so true. i've gone into holt renfrew countless times intending to buy something and always just leave shortly after. by far the snootiest salespeople i've ever encountered.

as far as toronto goes, Nomad and Uncleotis have been really wicked to me. both stock awesome stuff and are run and staffed by really cool laid back dudes. the people at lileo have also been really nice to me, although i've yet to get anything from there.

blue in greene was awesome when i visited. the guys working there were super nice even though i was only browsing, and struck up a conversation about the jeans i was wearing (imperial dukes), and asked if they could take pictures. i'm definitely going to stop by and pick something up next time i'm in new york.

as for supreme la. first time i ever went there they showed me love, i was expecting them to be assholes and was planning to throw their shirts on the ground but they greeted me asked me if i needed to try any sizes on or if i needed to use the fitting room to just ask for my size.

stussy la is one of the WORST stores ever. the girl who works their who appears to be of black decent or a mixed racial background is a fucking bitch. ive never seen someone act so Van Damme about messing an order up. she charged me $50 for a beanie that was 15 and acted like it was my fault for overcharge and looked at me like i useless. i really wanted to tell her she was a bitch and that she works retail.