Pigeon Dunks on the Cover of the NY Post

My Pal the Crook

front022305.gif

Shits starting to get real retro now! How long before NY goes waaay back and heads start killing each other over aqua/grape Jordan Vs again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SNEAKER RIOT

By RACHEL SKLAR and LEONARD GREENE

February 23, 2005 -- Talk about sneaker wars.

Customers on the Lower East Side were duking it out in the street yesterday over a limited-edition Nike Pigeon (NYC) Dunk skateboarding shoe.

Not even Big 'Twoine — the 300-pound bouncer hired to keep order — was able to control the dozens of "sneakerheads" who rushed the door at The Reed Space store at 10:30 a.m. yesterday.

When tempers flared, cops were called to restore order.

It was all in the name of target marketing and the desire to be the first.

"It was kind of crazy," said Nico Reyes, a store manager.

Reyes said a fight broke out after a bunch of people tried to skip the line that snaked outside the Orchard Street store.

Dozens of people had camped out for two or three days in freezing temperatures and a snowstorm in hopes of snaring one of what were only 150 pairs manufactured.

Cops said no arrests were made in the scuffle, although a man was cuffed, and cops found a knife and a baseball bat at the scene.

Although 70 people were waiting, only 20 people walked away with the prize, a pair of the rare Dunk skateboarding shoes with an exclusive New York twist — a pigeon on the heel.

Although Nike's suggested retail price is $69, The Reed Space sold its small supply for $300 a pair. Sneakerheads are selling them for as much as $1,000 on eBay.

Staple Design, which owns and operates The Reed Space, was tapped over a year ago by Nike to design the shoe, and chose a pigeon to represent New York.

"It's innate to New Yorkers," said Jeffrey Ng, Staple Design's founder and creative director. "No other bird in the world will let you walk that close to it. It's tough, and it's brave."

Gabriel Paulino, 22, of Jamaica, Queens, waited for two days, driving home only once to change and eat.

But in the melee for tickets, he came away empty-handed.

At least one sneakerhead walked away with a unique souvenir, Ng said, when a real pigeon left its mark on his shoe.

news02232005007.jpg

nobody would do shit there...i was at kcdc when they released the regular ones last month or so....its the same people every time that show up and bum rush the door.....but nobody ever gets violent...and these kicks are worth alot more than a pair of jordans back in the day./...theyre all niketalk buttheads....i brought my kicks back to my car when i got em at kcdc and anybody could have threatened me or kicked my ass and stole em...but nobody did...that fight was the perfect publicity scheme to get some street cred and mystique behind nikeskateboarding etc....I can just see the tee shirt next season with that cover on it.....

Bro,

You're missing the point, The Post just broadcast to the all of NYC what used to be just a few heads hustle. They not only publicized it they laid out exactly how much profit was to be made by doing this. You don't think at the next sneaker line-up you're not gonna be seeing a lot more cats who you never had seen before? Cats who don't really look like they belong there? The kind of people who'll make it their point to make sure you don't feel comfortable out there for the night so they make their $$$. You just said it yourself, most of the people on line were too shook to even stand up for themselves against the same clowns who cut each and every single line. Now besides your regular shook niketalk heads and same guys who bully them each line-up, add a couple of crews out of brownsville, bedstuy, etc, etc, all rolling up seperatly just before the shop opens trying to cut each other for 10 pairs at $400 profit each. You think shit won't go overboard then?

Or better yet, why don't you slap on your pigeons and take a nice stroll through brownsville and see what happens after today.

Edited by My Pal the Crook on Feb 23, 2005 at 05:52 PM

i love what nike are doing...they're killing themselves with all these collabos. and have overworked the dunks without pure quality [aestheticly]. look at it, just for a embroided pigeon for 300?? wtf really! awesome bloodsuckers! "leech" space more likely. what's next? pigeon drops dunk sb...icon_smile.gif

write your own script