WHO HERE ACTUALLY WORKS IN FASHION

KING CHOCOLATE

I think everyone's reaction to what's out there is more important than what you do at your fashion job. I do work in _______ , but most of my day to day is executing ideas already discussed, rather than brewing up something new. I think most of the people who are on this board, are probably graphics/ web/ fashion/ advertising identity types.

Benny Rags

Not sure if this reply will be what you're fishing for, but I too work in ________ , for one of the juggernauts who's still beating it's chest from the luxury wars. I have one counterpart in NYC, and I get to say I'm the west coast one. In SF I'm far away from the designers and their creative teams, the biz has changed a bit so I usually get much of the critical info from marketing teams, as opposed to the design studios as it used to be. Then I carry the message to teach and train the sales teams and make sure the info of what's new and what's not is flowing, as well as keeping a handle on the difference between a few of the mega luxe brands that steer my moves. Fashion schmashion, it's like an unending wave.

Randino

This thread is kind of bizarre... Whats going on with two first posts by new members here within 12 hours of each other and that ___________ line?

I work in advertising. I edit and do media research.

I ain't terrified from nothing, I'm young wild crazy and disgusting. - Lil Weezy

Hmmm. I agree, it is a little bizarre. I don't know Benny Rags. (How do you do Mr Rags, lovely day, innit?...). Anyway, just a coincidence. I copied the _______ presuming it meant Fashion. Some days I prefer not to talk about Fashion. Not like it's anything traumatic, it's easy, but personally, fashion fatigue happens. Last night at a happy hour shindig held at a spot Ellen Allien visited recently where she super stylin but surrounded by the most insipid 80's industrial goth regurgitated looks by dudes who seemed to have never moved on from the look in the first place. Anyway, as always, someone came over to me and said "Who is the most put together person here?". Unless the wearer is asking for the comments, I'm off duty for critiqueing. Time to soak it in and sort it later, but no personal crits please, let the people relax. Having said that to the suitor, but in more benign words, we had fun comparing the threads we scored at various sample sales / salvaged bins from stylists, etc. My APC shirt, Agnes B jacket, Cerruti Jeans and LV loafers cost a total of $190 all together. Gotta love those slightly damaged, slightly out of season goods.

Randino

Touché, totally tired, in a retail queenie kind of way, or a fanatic student kind of way, or anyway almost, it becomes stupid. Can't remember the last time someone said that f word. I'm up to my elbows in chiffon for fall as we speak. Any thoughts on Dior's new jacket thing? The foam enhanced silhouette. Love it that Galliano introduced something, but it's got to be a tough sell. I'm loving the Y-3 polka dot bags and sneaks. It's more pomo than Mendini or Graves, shudder, but works for me. Saw the $2100 jeans that Yohji Y painted himself. Menichetti's Celine stuff is cautious, but seems like Jil Sander from an slightly alternate dimension. Word.

Randino

You too. It's 8:15pm, while you're doing your wnba bounce duties, I'm scanning last weeks shows and WWD's, trying to be original with action words and whatnot for fall. Seems like this thread is basically dead. Who started it? Did you get hit by a milk truck? Or are you in the hospital after your last ight with buyers too? Or are you hanging out with your favorite button / leather / hardware suppliers after the Paris and Milan shows because most stylists and journos are too poncy? And it's more fun to visit them in Como, Varese and Bassano than stay in Milan anyway. Tired of being accused a socialite by your family and old pals? Sort of regret that you didn't seize the moment and take a photo on the divan with Viv, the elevator with Marc, the museum with Paul, the river boat with Jil, the workshop with Jean-Paul, the shop floor with Zandra, etc etc etc? Me too.

Randino